Rubberslug Up-or-Down Status

Show off your stuff!
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Rubberslug Up-or-Down Status

Post by Pixel »

I used to host artwork at photobucket back when images could be any size you wanted - 427x203, just as an odd example. I mean, there was some original artwork of my own there, long before I got into production art.

Then later they said nope, you can only have standard size images for free. (640x480, 800x600, etc.) This is back when most PC monitors were still 4:3). The images I already had stored were grandfathered even though they were odd sizes, but I'm pretty sure I removed those images. I don't even know if I can get back in my account there.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

As of 9 AM EDT both Rubberslug and Photobucket were working normally.
FourD

Post by FourD »

These are exactly the kind of things that make me happy to be able to have my own site. The cost of doing so (in both time and money) is a downside, though.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

FourD wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:46 am These are exactly the kind of things that make me happy to be able to have my own site. The cost of doing so (in both time and money) is a downside, though.
I just can't bring myself to invest the effort in a proper website. Money of course is also a problem.

I learned web development back before quasi-standardization of the CSS format. I remember that one basically had to maintain almost two separate web pages to get things to work in both Internet Explorer and then Netscape Navigator/Communicator. There was no guarantee at all that one could make something work the same way in both.

Things still aren't perfect now, but boy were they ever a mess in those days.
FourD

Post by FourD »

Pixel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:56 am
I just can't bring myself to invest the effort in a proper website. Money of course is also a problem.

I learned web development back before quasi-standardization of the CSS format. I remember that one basically had to maintain almost two separate web pages to get things to work in both Internet Explorer and then Netscape Navigator/Communicator. There was no guarantee at all that one could make something work the same way in both.

Things still aren't perfect now, but boy were they ever a mess in those days.
I'm currently hosting as cheaply as I can with a half-decent provider. It isn't costing me a whole lot, but it obviously costs something. For me it's worth the money it takes in order to have the control over it.

And since my site is super-simple (I code it a page at a time in Notepad++) it works pretty well across most platforms. I don't like how it presents on my iPhone, but I'll live with it for now. :)
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

I've had my selling website through Freeservers since like 2006. Not sure if better options are around but it has been ok for me.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Looks like RS is down again
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jason has been notified. More as we know it.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Possibly a transient issue. RS was operating normally by midnight, but has again been reported misbehaving on the FB RS/AB page. A quick check at 4PM EST showed no problems with viewing. But I have not tried to upload items or revise descriptions.

Unfortunately Jason is out of town for Christmas and will not be able to tend the server for a few more days. So please post descriptions of any problems that come up here so Jason can have these to hand when he returns.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

It appears RubberSlug is now down for the count. I'm getting "can't connect errors", and the traceroute log ends where it usually does, at Road Runner Communications in Texas from what I can tell. I'm guessing something in the server room, but not sure what.

Jason, if you're reading this-Thank you so much for all you do keeping RS going, I've been around computers enough to know that server administration is an involving task indeed, and I wanted to let you know you are appreciated.

Thank you, Sensei, for keeping us apprised as info is available.
sensei

Post by sensei »

After a series of reboots, Rubberslug now (9:30 PM EST) appears to be operating normally. Jason passes on that he has detected the source of the transient errors and will correct it.
bingk

Post by bingk »

Any update to the account creation issues?
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jason has been pinged.
sensei

Rubberslug home page down due to server error

Post by sensei »

The Rubberslug home page is currently down due to a server error. Individual galleries apparently are still visible (I checked with my own). Jason has been notified (but is evidently out of the country). More as we know it.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Fixed (per Jason).

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image