What you collect that no one else collects?

Show off your stuff!
bingk

Re: What you collect that no one else collects?

Post by bingk »

I collect production/pitch bibles. (Also show scripts)
I have a few right now though they are currently only for western cartoons.
A couple I cannot share online outside a few details, but it's cool to see the initial groundwork for a cartoon.
Some industry friends have even gifted me copies of their 'failed' books. Cartoons that were never put into production.

Animation Cel wise. I really enjoy my Cels from Little Nemo in Slumberland.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Interesting. I see batches of what are sometimes called "reference materials" for some Japanese series. These are photocopies of some of the key animators' sketches for others on the production team to use. Also "concept drawings," also made not for use but as reference materials so that everyone on the team has a clear conception of what a given location looks like. But an actual series "bible" for an anime series, I've never seen or heard tell of.

Though Miyazaki did develop an early storyboard version of "Princess Mononoke" that was used to try to win support for the project. That was published with a number of other conceptual sketches (prior to its actual production by Ghibli) in a book published by Kodansha, titled Hayao Miyazaki Image Board (1983). I bought a copy of this book (it crops up from time to time on YHJ), mainly because of the section giving sketches of the unproduced Pippi Longstocking TV series, which Miyazaki and Takahata used in 1971 to pitch the project. So I could see how this type of material would be fascinating, especially for recent US-based animation projects.
bingk

Post by bingk »

sensei wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 pm Interesting. I see batches of what are sometimes called "reference materials" for some Japanese series. These are photocopies of some of the key animators' sketches for others on the production team to use. Also "concept drawings," also made not for use but as reference materials so that everyone on the team has a clear conception of what a given location looks like. But an actual series "bible" for an anime series, I've never seen or heard tell of.

Though Miyazaki did develop an early storyboard version of "Princess Mononoke" that was used to try to win support for the project. That was published with a number of other conceptual sketches (prior to its actual production by Ghibli) in a book published by Kodansha, titled Hayao Miyazaki Image Board (1983). I bought a copy of this book (it crops up from time to time on YHJ), mainly because of the section giving sketches of the unproduced Pippi Longstocking TV series, which Miyazaki and Takahata used in 1971 to pitch the project. So I could see how this type of material would be fascinating, especially for recent US-based animation projects.
That is really interesting! I have a Japanese book for Summer Wars and its just the entire storyboard for the movie.
I'm not entirely sure how the system differs between the US and Japan. Often there isn't often a "ton" of art in pitch bibles. Some are as little as 6-12 pages since they are the first thing used to get the company interested, getting the foot in the door- they are often altered into the final reference material bibles. So the 'art' for a pitch bible will be like small character concepts and maybe a couple illustrations. For a TV series, it's common to include a few episode examples, and these are usually typed out where as for film, story board for key scene are made even if they are scraped later. Some Pitch bibles I've seen have been incredibly colorful and some have even been shared online for educational purposes. I believe Adventure Time is one that is now open access.

I only recently started collection frames and production work from anime and I am learning so much about it!