My First Cel - Little Nemo In Slumberland

Show off your stuff!
bingk

My First Cel - Little Nemo In Slumberland

Post by bingk »

Being so new to this- I was scared to post. I hope I don't sound too naive.

So I've always been a fan of animation and fascinated by it's process of production. Both modern and traditional.
In the past year, I graduated from a long six year journey through college and when I got my own apartment, I finally 'bit the bullet' and brought a cel. My hesitation was from many different aspects, from care, to buying forgery. I felt like I was adopting a purebred dog lol.

Finally, after well over a few months of research, including the company I was buying from, I settled on getting this cel.

((My home scanner isn't big enough for the whole cel, I hope this picture will be okay until I can get a better scan <3 ))
So, there it is- a cel from Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, a film from 1992 that went through production hell.
This film has a lot of history, the comic that inspired the film Little Nemo by Winsor McCay is considered to be one of the first 'comic series' to be created in the US back in 1905. Winsor McCay himself also being one of the earliest creators of animation and still inspires animators today.
This film however, is an example of production hell. Having an incredibly long production development, going through several studios, writers, animators ect:. Even Ghibli animators had a hand in this film for a brief time. It went through money issues, release issues, until ultimately the final studio and director had to basically take 'what was finished' and splice it all together with a story cobbled together to /kinda/ fit the animation.
This and many problems led to the film to fail upon it's release. That being said though- it does have it's cult following, and for myself, it's always been a fascinating film for it's history alone.
I'm not going to lie to you. Cels for this animation are not 'rare' nor are they extremely expensive either. It's price point was also an influence when buying my first cel as I didn't want to throw a huge investment until I knew better what I was getting into.
Upon getting this cel- it was like getting GOLD for me. I've had it framed professionally with special glass, and it hangs in my living room like a place of honor with my other cels. ((as I type this, I only have 3. ))

I took out my dvd and of course had to fine the exact moment this cel is from,
And even using photoshop, I was able to line up each mark perfectly. I'd never done it before and it was really cool to see even little marks line up that I didn't notice before getting a really close look at the cel. Looking at the cel closely to and seeing the 'hand' marks is really the best part, isn't it? Someone made this, and though it was only for a second of animation, that movement could not exist without it.

I feel fortunate enough that it's such a large image to. It takes up a lot of the frame and is from a personal favorite scene in the film for me. (I just always liked seeing Nemo in the hat and coat and the design of the key.)
Despite the production this film had, the animation at times was brilliant and I am thrilled to own this image. It's a part of history and will forever be a favorite in my humble collection.

For those more savvy than me, any additional information you could tell me about this cel, I'd adore to hear it.
Also, what these numbers mean: I know it's something along the line of Scene, Frame, Cel.

What was your first cel? How long did it take you to finally buy one and how do you feel about 'that' cel compared to others you may have now?
Grico
Kamisama - God

Re: My First Cel - Little Nemo In Slumberland

Post by Grico »

Nice cel!

I got my first cels in August 2004 to have to decorate the walls of my new apartment for graduate school. The first 3 were cels from GTO that I thought looked cool.
bingk

Post by bingk »

Grico wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm Nice cel!

I got my first cels in August 2004 to have to decorate the walls of my new apartment for graduate school. The first 3 were cels from GTO that I thought looked cool.
Aw, that's awesome! Do you still have them?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Hi bingk,

Nice 1st cel for your collection, it is so nice to find the exact screen shot to match your cel.

I had been collecting original comic art for many years before I ever got into cel collecting. I had knee surgery before the San Diego Comic-con one year and used the con as part of my rehab. Finding a need to stop a and rest a lot , we ended up in the Anime Rooms and saw the Oh My Goddess Ova series. Later we went down and found a dvd seller to pick up the dvd's for it. The next booth just happened to be selling cels. I found this cel http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... emID=32472 and bought it.
At that time cels cost way cheaper than the Comic Art pages so we started collecting cels and our collection has grown from there.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

bingk wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:04 pm
Grico wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm Nice cel!

Aw, that's awesome! Do you still have them?
I think those who were actually sold awhile ago now. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon anime cels, I had watched some GTO and happened to see these cels for like 8 bucks each on Ebay. So it wasn't a holy grail cel or even my favorite series, just "hey these look cool and are pretty cheap" impulse purchase. I still have most of the cels bought soon after that from Slayers (a favorite series at the time).
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Great cel! Looks like it's from a very active scene.

The far right hand number is the sequence number. The cel is on layer "B". (Cels are often stacked up to form a scene, with the physical layers lettered starting from A at the bottom (or back) of the stack. I can't see what might have been on A-Layer in this scene, but I've never seen the film so I wouldn't know what I was looking for. It's possible the A Layer was used for something that didn't show up in this portion of the sequence.

NOTE: Physical layer order does not always equal final character front-to-back arrangement for the camera. Carefully painted characters on a layer higher up can and sometimes are made to look further back in the shot depending on what sorts of motions the scene calls for.

The number 46 means Cel 46 of the B-layer for this cut. The cel layers are separated, exchanged for others as needed, restacked, and photographed in the prescribed order against a desired background. Combine each photo with whatever sort of post-photography tricks might be available and the result is a finished frame of animation. At least, this was the way it was done before CGI/digital finishing anyway.

As for my first cel. I have an article on it here--

Marmalade Boy Ep. 68 - Ginta lays it on the line.
Video Containing the Cel

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you'd watch, but just in case I will warn that there are some spoilers there.

At first glance, it just looks like two kids staring at each other, but I sort of like to think that by looking closely, you can get an idea of what might be going on.

I had been aware of Japanese anime cels being sold online as far back as the mid 2000's, but I didn't start collecting until late in 2017. It was about 1 to 2 months later I acquired this cel.

These two are not the main characters of the series. They are however an important factor in the storyline. It is not merely the visual that sparked my interest in this cel, it is the scene this cel represents.

How do I feel about it today. When I look at this cel, I can feel the charges building. Whether those charges are really between Arimi and Ginta, or if they are simply in my imagination I can't say.

Sometimes when I get kind of down on my collection, this cel is one of the pieces that helps pick me back up. In terms of the moment, it is probably the best piece in my collection, and I still love it to pieces to this day.
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

Congrats on your first cel! I own a few pieces from Little Nemo as well. :) I've always loved the film.

https://www.artworkarchive.com/profile/ ... lumberland (if it asks for a password, it is: inkonpaper)
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/