Finally an Update - Original Vintage Animation Art

Show off your stuff!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Finally an Update - Original Vintage Animation Art

Post by star-phoenix »

Finally got this beautiful piece in. An original 1960's concept painting by Mary Blair featuring Disneyland "It's a Small World" Attraction.

http://starphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=429465
Princess Nadia
Kamisama - God

Re: Finally an Update - Original Vintage Animation Art

Post by Princess Nadia »

Damn! What a stunning piece! I bet this is just dripping with a subtlety of colours and brush strokes. It wants to leap out of the computer at me.

Sorry if that’s a weird response but this spoke to me! It’s truly beautiful even without the historical value (which is also immense).
"Don't forget to try in mind"

"Everybody likes that Michigan Rag"
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Finally an Update - Original Vintage Animation Art

Post by star-phoenix »

LOL. It is actually way more stunning in person. Mary Blair actually used gold foil paint and did a 3D style paint on it. So, if you look at it from an angle, the rounded parts are actually 3D as she did multi-layer strokes on it. So, you are absolutely correct on this. It looks like it is one of her closer to final pieces just before they started building the "It's a Small World" attraction because her first concepts had white background and then she later switched to dark background (or in my concept's case she actually PAINTED the blue background which is very rare) and used that as a menas to make the colors pop more. It should have mentioned this in the feature I posted with the information on the piece. The concept she demonstrated in the video (whcih was one of her later ones) is almost identical to this one (mine had more gold in it and she used more white in the one on the TV featurette).