Show your most out-of-the-way

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Show your most out-of-the-way

Post by sensei »

A wonderful story: one wonders just what will turn up in storage units, both here and in Japan. (From the shape of my other Golden Bird cels, they probably did a long stint in durance vile.)

Yes, the designer can do things on a watercolor sheet that just can't be done for art intended to go under the camera. And, because of the relative durability of watercolor paper, it often survives in much better condition than actual production art. (I'm constantly repairing or at least trying to stabilize some of the post-camera art that I get, sometimes badly damaged by shabby handling or poor storage.)

You should check out Star Phoenix Art Gallery for some really beauties of Disney concept art. S-P has really gone to some lengths to trace and negotiate purchase of some vintage art, some of it passed down in the families of animators who kept art they really cherished or animators' friends who were given some as a special gift. All of it is historically important and some is genuine museum quality.

I have a few pieces that I think are concept art, but none really worth crowing over. Congratulations on your primo find!
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

sensei wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:02 pm You should check out Star Phoenix Art Gallery for some really beauties of Disney concept art. S-P has really gone to some lengths to trace and negotiate purchase of some vintage art, some of it passed down in the families of animators who kept art they really cherished or animators' friends who were given some as a special gift. All of it is historically important and some is genuine museum quality.
Oh, I'm very familiar with S-P's gallery. It's extremely impressive.
sensei wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:02 pm I have a few pieces that I think are concept art, but none really worth crowing over. Congratulations on your primo find!
Thanks! Concept art is a focus of mine, so I'm very happy to have it. :D
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

earl, that background is wonderful, thx for sharing
:bounce