Collection Inventory: Finished! (Or nearly anyhow)

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Collection Inventory: Finished! (Or nearly anyhow)

Post by sensei »

Those who have followed my annual roundups have seen that one of the resolutions that I've been making (and falling short of keeping) is to do a total inventory of my collection. This has been a difficult job, as I've kept pretty good records of some parts of my collection, while others have been left in some disarray. And my standards for what records I keep have changed over time, along with my move to house my collection more appropriately. For example, I used to store backgrounds and dougas or other sketchwork in my Itoyas in the same pocket with the cel/cels. When I moved to housing paper separately from plastic (a curatorial best practice), then I needed to make sure that I had a clear record of where these were, so that if needed I could reunite the cel with the paper that went with it.

It was a surprisingly difficult job. But I took a long period off collecting to attend to it. One thing I decided to do was to accept the titles that I gave items in my gallery as "the" name I'd give them, and also accept the current order in which I had cels placed in my profolios as "the" place where I'd find them. Likewise, I accepted the storage boxes where I found sketchwork as "the" place where I'd catalog them. For a long time I'd shuffled around items from book to book, box to box, giving them better titles, pulling together cels or sketches that seemed to belong together, and adding new sets to the boxes that already held sketches from the same series. But now that my collecting habits are getting slighter, I've reconciled myself to having a couple of boxes for "new acquisitions" and leaving the others where they were.

Otherwise it was like raking leaves on a breezy day.

Then the coronavirus gave me extra days inside and the time I needed to focus on the series that I knew were in the sloppiest condition. Yesterday I finished my "gallery crawl" from one side to the other, and while I've left lots of queries where I'm still not sure where a given cel or sketch is, at least I know the basic outlines of my full collection.

Now I know that I have:

20 11x 14 Profolios of cels (not all of them full)
4 11 x 17 Profolios
1 14 x 17 Profolio
1 17 x 24 Profolio

33 14 x 11 storage boxes for normal-sized sketches
9 16 x 13 boxes of pan sketches and backgrounds
1 16 x 13 box full just of cut bags from various series
1 20 x 24 boxes for larger sketches and backgrounds
1 20 x 24 box for my complete cut of "The Healing of Koram" cels (93 in all, mostly oversized), interleaved with MicroChamber paper
and standing on one end
1 24 x 30 box for my very hugest items

A quick browse through my draft "Collection Inventory" shows that I've got larger or smaller collections of forty-seven anime series, plus twelve "lone stars" in a Miscellany gallery. Some collections are very modest, consisting of only two or three cels or sketch sets. Others take several pages to list, notably A Tree of Palme, Asatte no Houkou, Cardcaptor Sakura, Hyper Police, Inuyasha, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Magic Knight Rayearth, Powerpuff Girls Z, Rozen Maiden, Tenshi ni Narumon, and Tonde Buurin.

Currently it runs to 115 pages, just the spreadsheets of the items, though I add page breaks after each series so this is a little misleading. Still, it's the first time that I've been able to read through a description of my collection from start to finish and have a clear guide to exactly where I can find a given cel, sketch, douga, or background.

There's still work to do: a quick check of one Profolio found cases where I'd shuffled around some cels in the book, probably during the last time that I changed the cel bags. And a handful of items that I know I have (. . .somewhere /hmm . . .) still need to be tracked down. (A few are still hiding behind their cels Image.)

But it is a necessary task, especially now that the future of Rubberslug (for years the default inventory of my collection) is no longer certain, and at times it's impossible to access when I want a full description of something I've got.

I'd encourage other collectors to get onto this job sooner than I did. Twenty years is a long time, and even a handful of new cels or sketches a month totals up, decade by decade, to a daunting pile. I've been good (I confirmed during my crawl) about storing my items in an archivally sound way. Few items were damaged (usually cases where I'd not detected a strip of celotape at the original time I took possession). Most cels, happily, appeared to be in the same condition as they were when scanned, often more than fifteen years ago.

But I wish that I'd gotten to work on the inventory at the same time and saved myself a monumental task, one requiring a lockdown during a global pandemic to complete.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Collection Inventory: Finished! (Or nearly anyhow)

Post by jiangdc »

sensei wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:11 pm Those who have followed my annual roundups have seen that one of the resolutions that I've been making (and falling short of keeping) is to do a total inventory of my collection. This has been a difficult job, as I've kept pretty good records of some parts of my collection, while others have been left in some disarray. And my standards for what records I keep have changed over time, along with my move to house my collection more appropriately. For example, I used to store backgrounds and dougas or other sketchwork in my Itoyas in the same pocket with the cel/cels. When I moved to housing paper separately from plastic (a curatorial best practice), then I needed to make sure that I had a clear record of where these were, so that if needed I could reunite the cel with the paper that went with it.

It was a surprisingly difficult job. But I took a long period off collecting to attend to it. One thing I decided to do was to accept the titles that I gave items in my gallery as "the" name I'd give them, and also accept the current order in which I had cels placed in my profolios as "the" place where I'd find them. Likewise, I accepted the storage boxes where I found sketchwork as "the" place where I'd catalog them. For a long time I'd shuffled around items from book to book, box to box, giving them better titles, pulling together cels or sketches that seemed to belong together, and adding new sets to the boxes that already held sketches from the same series. But now that my collecting habits are getting slighter, I've reconciled myself to having a couple of boxes for "new acquisitions" and leaving the others where they were.

Otherwise it was like raking leaves on a breezy day.

Then the coronavirus gave me extra days inside and the time I needed to focus on the series that I knew were in the sloppiest condition. Yesterday I finished my "gallery crawl" from one side to the other, and while I've left lots of queries where I'm still not sure where a given cel or sketch is, at least I know the basic outlines of my full collection.

Now I know that I have:

20 11x 14 Profolios of cels (not all of them full)
4 11 x 17 Profolios
1 14 x 17 Profolio
1 17 x 24 Profolio

33 14 x 11 storage boxes for normal-sized sketches
9 16 x 13 boxes of pan sketches and backgrounds
1 16 x 13 box full just of cut bags from various series
1 20 x 24 boxes for larger sketches and backgrounds
1 20 x 24 box for my complete cut of "The Healing of Koram" cels (93 in all, mostly oversized), interleaved with MicroChamber paper
and standing on one end
1 24 x 30 box for my very hugest items

A quick browse through my draft "Collection Inventory" shows that I've got larger or smaller collections of forty-seven anime series, plus twelve "lone stars" in a Miscellany gallery. Some collections are very modest, consisting of only two or three cels or sketch sets. Others take several pages to list, notably A Tree of Palme, Asatte no Houkou, Cardcaptor Sakura, Hyper Police, Inuyasha, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Magic Knight Rayearth, Powerpuff Girls Z, Rozen Maiden, Tenshi ni Narumon, and Tonde Buurin.

Currently it runs to 115 pages, just the spreadsheets of the items, though I add page breaks after each series so this is a little misleading. Still, it's the first time that I've been able to read through a description of my collection from start to finish and have a clear guide to exactly where I can find a given cel, sketch, douga, or background.

There's still work to do: a quick check of one Profolio found cases where I'd shuffled around some cels in the book, probably during the last time that I changed the cel bags. And a handful of items that I know I have (. . .somewhere /hmm . . .) still need to be tracked down. (A few are still hiding behind their cels Image.)

But it is a necessary task, especially now that the future of Rubberslug (for years the default inventory of my collection) is no longer certain, and at times it's impossible to access when I want a full description of something I've got.

I'd encourage other collectors to get onto this job sooner than I did. Twenty years is a long time, and even a handful of new cels or sketches a month totals up, decade by decade, to a daunting pile. I've been good (I confirmed during my crawl) about storing my items in an archivally sound way. Few items were damaged (usually cases where I'd not detected a strip of celotape at the original time I took possession). Most cels, happily, appeared to be in the same condition as they were when scanned, often more than fifteen years ago.

But I wish that I'd gotten to work on the inventory at the same time and saved myself a monumental task, one requiring a lockdown during a global pandemic to complete.
That's a lot of stuff and lof of work. Highly appreciate that. Same here at home working on inventory. For the last couple weeks I updated my site tremendously by adding multi language index. Since I have couple hundreds anime series to work on, simply google Chinese,English names and do copy paste takes me forever. I have to create pages, direct link, upload pictures for each anime. The most painful part is to find the originate cut from the anime, which can take me forever if I am not super familar with it. And I worked on a even harder task later: Index by animators. This is way way harder than the previous: you really have to look up a lots of things in order to get this one settled. What I did was to get the names of the animators who I own genga from (which is the most time consuming part), and group them into companies that they worked for (this is also hard because animaters may work in several different companies). The final result is a page that you can see anime companies logo and names of animators that works or worked for it. By clicking on each animators it direct you to the anime pages that he or she worked on. I am still working on this project and hopefully I will have time late to finish up as well. Also even though I have the names and links ready, they look super ungly together right now, which means in the future I need to think of aesthetic aspect as well.
Despite the long process, I am still satisfied after the index was built up. I feel accomplished for how much I can dig into my hobby. Even though I am pretty much the only audiance of my index, :bawl
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Collection Inventory: Finished! (Or nearly anyhow)

Post by ReiTheJelly »

What a phenomenal task! So cool that you've finally manged to catalog your collection in detail. :)