PoetryHaiku
Eiyuu - Hero

Ayumu Kasuga

Post by PoetryHaiku »

Ginta
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: Ayumu Kasuga

Post by Ginta »

Rated. I like your Osaka sketch and the Pretty Sammy and Tenchi Universe cels.
PoetryHaiku
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by PoetryHaiku »

Thank you, are any of your cels for sale?
Ginta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ginta »

Yes! I sent you a PM.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Rated, please feel free to rate mine too.

While I'm not familiar with the other two series on you page, Azumanga Daioh is one of my jams. I must say you've zeroed in on a sequence that so succinctly illustrates Osaka's handle on the word around her.

It also gave me some insight into Osaka's appeal. Together with Chiyo and Sakaki, she seems to be among the fan favorites in the cast. I think her total failure at the vaulting here is a reminder that like Osaka, we all fail sometimes.

and that goofy little "AAH-ACK!" when she smacks into it priceless. More education, I didn't know vaults of that sort came in two pieces. How hard did she hit them anyway?

IIRC, Osaka's voice actor Yuki Matsuoka is herself from Osaka. Very fitting I think.

The Magical Sammy Ayeka cel reminds me of a character named MIDI for an radio/OVA called Voogie's Angel. Particularly the hair.

A great way to start a collection, but be warned-these things have a way of finding you and insisting on coming home with you to stay. :D
Ginta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ginta »

I bought a Yomi sketch a couple of days ago on eBay for a good price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Azumanga-Daioh ... 2366642542
Attachments
s-l500Yomi.jpg
s-l500Yomi.jpg (18.11 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Ah, yes I saw that one on eBay-nearly went nuts trying to find it in the series. Finally found it in the last minute or so of Episode 8 - The New Years' Dream Episode.
azu_e8_yomi.jpg
azu_e8_yomi.jpg (355.99 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
The gentleman with his back turned to the camera must be on another layer.

This is an excellent presentation for Yomi. Great perspective and angle. She's wearing her personal clothes, which I'd say is unusual as so much of Azumanga Daioh is based around life at school for all of the girls.

Yomi seems to be sort of the "odd one out" because she's held up as the "normal" girl in the group.

Glad to see Koyomi get some love-she seems to be less appreciated by the Azu fan base at large than say Osaka or Chiyo, or even Tomo for that matter.
Ginta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ginta »

Thank you for finding it! I'm gonna put that on my Rubberslug alongside it if you don't mind. I've always loved Koyomi. This is exactly the kind of Azumanga douga I've always wanted too and the pose I typically look for in cels.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Ginta wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:27 pm Thank you for finding it! I'm gonna put that on my Rubberslug alongside it if you don't mind. I've always loved Koyomi. This is exactly the kind of Azumanga douga I've always wanted too and the pose I typically look for in cels.
By all means, please do. I looked it up when I was thinking about buying this one, and am pleased the screencap is handy.

I've come across a number of compelling Osaka's as well, but if I went wild collecting every piece that I liked, I'd be buried in paper and cellulose, LOL.

I'd like to find an Osaka where she's berating Tomo for not separating the chopsticks properly. For all her weirdness, Osaka is usually pretty chill. She goes off her rocker when Tomo ignores her advice and snaps them "wrong".
PoetryHaiku
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by PoetryHaiku »

Pixel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:33 pm Rated, please feel free to rate mine too.

While I'm not familiar with the other two series on you page, Azumanga Daioh is one of my jams. I must say you've zeroed in on a sequence that so succinctly illustrates Osaka's handle on the word around her.

It also gave me some insight into Osaka's appeal. Together with Chiyo and Sakaki, she seems to be among the fan favorites in the cast. I think her total failure at the vaulting here is a reminder that like Osaka, we all fail sometimes.

and that goofy little "AAH-ACK!" when she smacks into it priceless. More education, I didn't know vaults of that sort came in two pieces. How hard did she hit them anyway?

IIRC, Osaka's voice actor Yuki Matsuoka is herself from Osaka. Very fitting I think.

The Magical Sammy Ayeka cel reminds me of a character named MIDI for an radio/OVA called Voogie's Angel. Particularly the hair.

A great way to start a collection, but be warned-these things have a way of finding you and insisting on coming home with you to stay. :D
very nice art. :3
Ginta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ginta »

I just watched the episode (DVD). I wanted to see Yomi's dream! Is your screenshot from the Blu-ray?
Attachments
Yomi episode 8 DVD.jpg
Yomi episode 8 DVD.jpg (505.84 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I'm afraid not. I grabbed a screencap with some software that can playback YouTube videos, and cropped the sides with an image editor. I suspect whoever posted it must have had access to the (currently) Japan-only BluRay release, it is an incredibly clean shot.

Sentai Filmworks seems to have let their license lapse-they no longer even sell their DVD versions. I have no idea if a BD release will be offered for sale here. Heck, even the Discotek Marmalade Boy release on BD is only SD. Well it might be 480p natively, but it's still not HD, that's for sure.

There are those who say HD releases are not beneficial to content that was originally mastered for SDTV. I offer this screencap and others on my RS pages as a polite rebuttal.

By now I've probably got enough of the show down to not require the subtitles to get the gist, but the Japanese BluRay set is too expensive. Any playback incompatibilities that might crop up would just be my bad luck. (Japan and North America are in the same Blu-Ray region, but I'm talking about other possible incompatibilities.)

As for not seeing Yomi's dream, yes that was a bit unfair-particularly since Tomo gave her a darn good trouncing in her own dream.

That's the thing about her, Azuma seemed not to detail Yomi too much for some reason. Apparently she didn't even have a name until the manga had been in print for some time. I would have thought a name would be an important part of any character's design, but then I've never published a manga, either.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

PoetryHaiku wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:40 pm
Pixel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:33 pm Rated, please feel free to rate mine too.

Thank you. There are still things to be added, just have to find the willpower to get back in the game.

Oh, by the way, I think this is the frame for your Osaka, from Episode 19.
azu_e19_osaka.jpg
azu_e19_osaka.jpg (437.81 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

I tried to go frame-by-frame. To my eye, this is the best match. It's interesting to see how much of Osaka's body was cut off while the final shot was being framed. It is possible that whoever made the video for YouTube cut part of it off, but I rather doubt it-the final shot looks very close to original TV aspect ratio to me.

Poor Osaka-reminds me of me trying to do something like that-so clumsy and clueless, LOL.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Pixel wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:27 pm
PoetryHaiku wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Thank you. There are still things to be added, just have to find the willpower to get back in the game.

Oh, by the way, I think this is the frame for your Osaka, from Episode 19.

azu_e19_osaka.jpg

I tried to go frame-by-frame. To my eye, this is the best match. It's interesting to see how much of Osaka's body was cut off while the final shot was being framed. It is possible that whoever made the video for YouTube cut part of it off, but I rather doubt it-the final shot looks very close to original TV aspect ratio to me.

Poor Osaka-reminds me of me trying to do something like that-so clumsy and clueless, LOL.
Wow that's so cute. I love it :P
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/