Otakon anyone?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

*waves* Will be there. Just took a while to make sure it fit in my travel plans. ^_^
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

I'll be there too, it will my third time returning to otakon. :vict I so enjoy going there, for the goodies, info and crab. Mmmmmmm. :dban Hope to see you all there. :D
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

Hee!

"DID YOU EAT CRABS!? DID YOU EAT... CRABS!!!!????"
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I might have EAT CRABS. What's EAT CRABS like?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Cloud wrote:I might have EAT CRABS. What's EAT CRABS like?
They look like GREAT CRABS ... only littler. Itch like hell. If you have to ask, you don't have them.
LinaLoN
Senpai - Elder

Post by LinaLoN »

All 3 days of the con. @_@; But I'd need a really REALLY cheap deal. 3 days adds up quick at a con! Anime Boston showed me that!
What are YOU talking about, I paid for the hotel for the 3 days :x .... :P

I would LOVE to go if I could!!! If Mirai Peorth thinks that she can try and get to Otakon without Me, she's got another thing coming! :evil:

The TRAVEL portion is also a problem on my part as my sense of direction while driving would most likely end up with me accidently driving over a cliff... and if I take a plane/ train I'd need to know how to get around to the convention etc.... I've already got a headache just thinking about it :hurt:
My cat Temperance I call her Tempe for short.

My cat Seeley is a Sailor Moon fan, too!

I didn't anticipate on having a black female cat and a white male cat or I would have named them Luna and Artemis... oh well.
Mirai_Peorth
Senpai - Elder

Post by Mirai_Peorth »

Lina, I can go if I can get an uber cheap room. Like... $30.00 a night TOPS. So yea, not going to happen. ^^;; Unless I decide to work with Curt again.
"Practice safe Zechs - Use a Gundam." - Unknown
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

LinaLoN wrote: The TRAVEL portion is also a problem on my part as my sense of direction while driving would most likely end up with me accidently driving over a cliff... and if I take a plane/ train I'd need to know how to get around to the convention etc.... I've already got a headache just thinking about it :hurt:
Personally, Otakon is one of the easier cons to drive to. While Baltimore itself deserves some kind of award for unmarked one-way streets, it's not terribly difficult over-all to arrive safely at the con. It's mostly major interstates and large city arteries.

I hope you guys can make it! The more the merrier!!
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Getting to Baltimore by car is mostly travelling on I 95. Train-wise, the train will get you pretty close, and you can take a cab at the station to get all the way downtown to the harbor. I'll be going unless my daughter kills me for not finishing her costume in time! I gotta get to the fabric store soon! (at least I have the wig, shoes, and stockings!)
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
jaw271
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by jaw271 »

well the deal my dad got me last time was 25 bucks a night, heh, but ill hatfa see what capacity they are at for that weekend. As far as getting to the con.....its amazingly simple.....if u fly into bwi, you go out 395 to 95 north towards b-more and you get off at martin luther kign blvd, stay to the left towards downtown you will then come into b-more between camden yards (home of the orioles) and the convention center which will be on your right hand side and if you go stright another block there are several parking garages.
Email: jwolfgang@hotmail.com

I know you want what's on my mind
I know you like what's on my mind
I know it eats you up inside
I know you know, you know
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That might not be very far off.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

39 days left until Otakon! I've very excited, but rather stressed. Being on vacation does not allow me to work on my cosplay costumes. I hope they are all completed in time!

And after the discussion about cel book theft at AX (albeit in the dealer's room), I'm rather concerned about bringing my own cels to the convention...
Japoro
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Japoro »

ReiTheJelly wrote:And after the discussion about cel book theft at AX (albeit in the dealer's room), I'm rather concerned about bringing my own cels to the convention..
For the most part I feel conventions are quite safe for cels if some common sense is used, as most people are quite honest. In most cases, your cel book will only be shown at a gathering of fellow cel collectors. And the rest of the time, they will be locked up in your hotel room/car.

And when they are being shown, just keep a casual eye on them, as everyone will usually ask before going through your cel book. Then again I did have one person who picked up one of my books, and walked a few rows of chairs away without asking at AX last year. /hmm Kind of funny as the books were right next to me too, and watching the whole situation proved to be kind of interesting in it's own way.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

Japoro wrote: And when they are being shown, just keep a casual eye on them, as everyone will usually ask before going through your cel book. Then again I did have one person who picked up one of my books, and walked a few rows of chairs away without asking at AX last year. /hmm Kind of funny as the books were right next to me too, and watching the whole situation proved to be kind of interesting in it's own way.

Yeah, I was there with you, and that was kind of freaky! It wasn't like they were splayed out on a table, and there was confusion as to who owned them. I guess some people just really lack social skills.

In general though, Japoro makes a good point. It isn't as dangerous as it sounds. I think Ed's stolen book has everyone panicking a little, but having displays/merchandise stolen from a exhibitors booth really isn't that unusual. Trust me, I work about 5 a year. This one just hit a little too close to home for most of us. Cel gatherings like these tend to be a little more relaxed and friendly. I don't know for sure that this Otakon gathering will be run the exact same way, but it is a pretty safe assumption, and it worked pretty well in the past. Still, I would recommend you either carry your books with you as you visit other tables, or have a trusted friend watch over your books while you tour, and then return the favor for them. :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Could someone maybe volunteer to be a cel pit bull and watch what people are doing rather than look at cels? I have bad dreams about people slipping cels out of the cel book pockets when I'm distracted, and me not realizing it until much later.