Otakon anyone?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Hikaruchan
Anime Geek

Post by Hikaruchan »

I will be coming to the con, but may not be able to make panel - waiting to hear if my group is in the cosplay contest or not. If we make it in, probably will be tied up for hours.
yukineko
Kamisama - God

Post by yukineko »

So I got the times for the cel panel............. Saturday 8:30 to 9:30 I know, I'm sure it conflicts with either the cosplay or a concert I tried for Sunday morning but hey what can I do. The con schedule is still not up so there is still hope that everyone can come!
I think that's around the time it was in 2001. Ah well, what can you do? I hadn't even bothered to attend the Masquerade until last year when my boyfriend pulled me into it. He can go to Masquerade and I'll go to the meeting. :D Now if it were Friday night during the AMV screenings THEN I'd have a dilemma on my hands.
Curator of Random Things Cel Gallery
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Hikaruchan wrote:I will be coming to the con, but may not be able to make panel - waiting to hear if my group is in the cosplay contest or not. If we make it in, probably will be tied up for hours.
Same here. Although I might just forgo the Masquerade costume contest and attend the cel panel. I haven't made up my mind yet. But I'll definitely be at the Friday collector's get-together.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

If it helps, I can wear my Count of Monte Cristo costume (complete with what was sold to me as a "Ho Wig") to one event or the other (or both).

Golly ... now I feel like Yuki at the onigiri sale ...

Because we have not received and been able to deposit your check for a membership for Otakon 2005, the hold for your mail-in registration has been cancelled. You still have until midnight on August 12 to use the credit card option to register for Otakon 2005. If our available registration number falls below 2000 before midnight on August 12, we will extend online registration until midnight August 14. If the number does not fall below 2000, you will be able to register at con.

Things seemed to be going too well to be true. According to the instructions Deanna passed on, we were supposed to register "but DO NOT PAY" (as the panel coordinator's message read). Now, it looks as if the panel coordinators aren't talking the same language as the people handling registration.

I'm still coming, but I'm not anxious to pay the highest registration rate available to do so, particularly since I paid the registration last year, then was told that as a panelist I would get the fee refunded. Of course, they never did send me the refund.

If they are trying to gain respectability as more than a chance for thousands of people to show up and cosplay in the halls, they aren't doing so very effectively.

blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

Hang in there Sensei! I have been dealing with this kind of "stuff" for months now. Otakon is way out of control this year, and I may not be willing to put in this much effort to get the panel going next year, but as far as this year It will happen!!! The panelist director has assured me our badges will be ready and we will not be turned away. As far as last years refund I really can't help, we did everything last second and they really did do us a favor by letting us have the panel at all.
They finally posted the schedule and there is no swap meet afterward but everything is set and ready for Saturday night. Perhaps we can use the Friday cel social to do our swappy stuff. I'm sorry if this is getting complicated but there is nothing else I can possibly do......... I've really tried.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That might not be very far off.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

....you don't even know cloud.
sensei

Post by sensei »

blueshinma wrote:Hang in there Sensei! I have been dealing with this kind of "stuff" for months now. Otakon is way out of control this year, and I may not be willing to put in this much effort to get the panel going next year, but as far as this year It will happen!!!
I'm hearing similar news from my daughter, who's involved in the AMV competition. Last year she heard regular reports on when her entry would be screened and how it fared in preliminary scorings. This year ... nada. I suspect that Otakon is up for major changes in organization: they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, but it's no longer an amateur affair.
I'm sorry if this is getting complicated but there is nothing else I can possibly do......... I've really tried.
You're an unsung hero, blueshinma.

No ... wait ...!

blueshinma, blueshinma is our hero
she organizes panels in a snap
she runs roughshod over bureaucracy
and makes good thing start to hap-
pen and though Otakon tries to hinder us
she does all an otaku can do
so blueshinma, blueshinma is our hero
and we love her through and through.

[Tune: "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken," Lutheran Book of Worship #358]

:D
Last edited by sensei on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

No need for all that! i just hope folks show even with the rotten time slot. :bounce
Plus I can't get an answer on your projector, but the other paenlists both run Macs so I hope you can borrow the Dell, that is our best chance. Ja
sensei

Post by sensei »

I think I'll just go low tech and print off a bunch of overheads. I'd hate to have the tech side of my presentation cause as much a to-do as it did last year. Besides, you really need to look at sketches sometimes to get a feel about what's a layout and what's a genga, or what's a rough and what's a shuusei or correction. So I'll bring three or four books worth of sketches and let people look for themselves.

But for fun, I'll print off some genzus or planning sketches and see if anyone can figure out which anime character they are supposed to be.

Like so:

ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Deanna: did you keep all the photocopied hand-outs that I made for Katsucon? Perhaps we could re-use them here?
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

Yeah I was planning to have them on hand Rei. And as for you suggestion Bill perhaps that will be the way we give out the T-Shirts and stuffs a know your anime combat! Fun for all!
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by purple-plum »

Hey everyone,
Is the panel going to be in the guide? Also theres a rubberslug meeting on friday if anyones interested its at one of the restaurants in the holiday in friday at 8:30 I'm not too sure where, but you can contract foe-chan

~Katie
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

wwwpurple-plumcom wrote:Hey everyone,
Is the panel going to be in the guide? Also theres a rubberslug meeting on friday if anyones interested its at one of the restaurants in the holiday in friday at 8:30 I'm not too sure where, but you can contract foe-chan

~Katie
foe-chan/blueshinma is organizing both. The infomation is listed in the "Slugfest East!!!!!" topic under Cons and Community Gatherings.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Plum, Otakon updated with their con schedule and the cel panel is on the charts -- so everything should print up just fine. I hope we get a large turn-out. I want to ogle people's cels! :^^: