Any tips for the newbie going to AX????

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Goldknight
RULER

Any tips for the newbie going to AX????

Post by Goldknight »

This will be my first trip to AX. Not sure what to expect. I arrive Friday evening in Anaheim and leave early on Sunday. So basically I'm just there for Saturday. How late are they open each day? Do you recommend registering Friday night before going on Saturday? Is there usually a wait to get into the dealer's room like here in Denver? Are there certain hours for the dealers room? I was told it's a bit different than the cons here in Denver so I'm anxious to hear what to expect. :D
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

The dealer's room is usually a 9-5-ish thing. The formal events will go till
about midnight with the big ones (AMV contest, masquerade, etc) with a
smattering of other panels and such till the 10-12 timeframe. They pretty
much play anime in the video rooms around the clock. I would recommend
registering Friday night if possible as the early morning registering lines are
the longest. It shouldn't be as bad if you're not there on the first day, but
who knows? There usually isn't a wait to get into the dealer's room after it
opens.
Tabbykitty
Senpai - Elder

Post by Tabbykitty »

I think the dealer's room runs 10-6, and opens at noon on friday. The biggest lines for it will be right when it opens...when it actually opens/a half hour or so afterwards you can usually walk straight in.

The main events usually seem to run until 10/11pm, with the video rooms going all night, as well as the dance until 2am, and I think the game room is all night? Can't quite remember.

It would definately be better to register friday-reg lines will be long long long, and it is easier to get an early start on con events saturday rather then spend several hours in the reg line
You fight quite well for being such a ... little man-Android 18
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/
:cat
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Do you know the smallest lines for it will be right when it opens?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Tabbykitty wrote:when it actually opens/a half hour or so afterwards you can usually walk straight in.
I'm not waiting in line for the dealer room this year. Last year waited for over an hour. I could have done something else and come back an 1/2 after it opened and walked right in, just like Tabbykitty said.
Last edited by animeobsessed on Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Last year, the volunteers did a great job of getting folks in and out of events. Probably the smoothest year yet. For exhibit hall, bring plenty of cash if you are looking to buy. There are no ATM's inside the hall, and last year only a few booths had credit card readers(which didn't work half the time because the signal couldn't reach outside of the building). The hardest events to get into are masquerade contest, AMV, and dance.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I waited 4 hours last year in the regular line. This year I'm pre-registering to avoid that insanity. :nuts

Once you register, you're given a bag of goodies. In that bag there's a schedule of events, places to eat, and other info. Use that to plan your schedule.

The Dealers' room will have a rack of plastic shopping bags to put your goodies in. You'll need 2 or three. :wink: I recommend going straight to the cel booths before wandering around the Dealers' Room. There will be a crowd so just elbow your way in. Have a list of what you're looking for in your head since you'll be greeted by several dozens of cel books. Quite a sight! :OMG

As for food, there are some restaurants at the Hilton. A nice buffet like restaurant, a sushi bar, a Starbucks, and some others I don't remember. You can always eat out at one of the many restaurants nearby. Or you can order in pizza. We order pizza every year as per tradition. :dban

Oh, bring a camera! TONS of pic opportunities to be sure! /no1

AX also has a yearly t-shirt for sale. if you're interested. I like to get a shirt from every con I go too.

I think Shampoo is going to recuit you for Slugfest and the Beta party, so maybe we can hook up sometime before if you want. We plan to meet to take Naruto pics. :)
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Elfstalker wrote:I waited 4 hours last year in the regular line. This year I'm pre-registering to avoid that insanity. :nuts
I hate to break it to you, but if they don't change things, that's going to hurt.
Baakay and I were pre-registered last year and waited over five hours in
line. We literally saw people come in, go through the regular line and leave
while we were waiting. Was one of the biggest reasons last year's A-X was
a disappointment.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It's always been a real crapshoot as to how long the registration and pre-registration lines are going to be when you get there. It's not uncommon for the pre-registration line to be a lot longer than the regular registration line. The line varies so much from year to year that's not very helpful knowing how the lines were in previous years. A lot of it just depends on luck. Everytime they think they have the long lines solved another type of problem pops up the following year. :sweatdrop But it's not always long. If you're lucky you might be able to breeze right through. It all depends.
Last edited by Keropi on Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How many it just depends on luck?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I hate to break it to you, but if they don't change things, that's going to hurt.
Baakay and I were pre-registered last year and waited over five hours in
line. We literally saw people come in, go through the regular line and leave
Yep, I was in that pre-registration line too on Thursday evening. It was at least a 4 hour wait.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
ReAnimator
Anime Geek

Post by ReAnimator »

Wow. So are you guys saying that if I want to get into the dealer's room first thing Friday (opens at noon) that I need to be there at 8:00am?!
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

ReAnimator wrote:Wow. So are you guys saying that if I want to get into the dealer's room first thing Friday (opens at noon) that I need to be there at 8:00am?!
Probably, since there are ppl always waiting in line to be the first in the door. :hurt:

Hmm, last year I knew 2 guys who went through the pre-reg lines in 20 minutes. I guess they were extremely lucky. I better offer something to the god of luck since I'll probably arrive 9:30 PM that night. :wink:
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Yup! Im gonna be there waiting at 8am friday morning /no1
Look for the goofball dressed up as Kiba LOL!
:hitting:
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

So if I go to register friday night when I arrive....how late are they open to register????
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug