Any tips for the newbie going to AX????

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

soda wrote:Same story with the wait---hardly any. They have their act together so why can't AX?
From what they've said over at rec.arts.anime.misc over the years, it's because they want to keep the cost of the con as low as possible. If they went for the frills to help make things "better" like going for the all-paid staff it would significantly raise the ticket prices. They said that a lot of people attending AX weren't willing to pay more to go there if they raised the prices. And believe me...I read a bunch of people complaining that they refuse to pay over $50 to attend AX. Of course they could have just been a vocal minority, but whatever.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

kymaera wrote:
shellie wrote: :D Deal with it, bud!!
No. I refuse to and you can't make me!
*insert sweet smile, purringly sweet voice, and one evilly arched eyebrow here*

Oh you don't know me very well, do you??
ReAnimator
Anime Geek

Post by ReAnimator »

Waited three hours in line this morning for a PRE-REGISTERED pass... what's the point?! The line for on-site registration was much shorter, and definitely would've been worth the minor difference in price.

I had a good time... some really nice cels to be had... some truly great cosplayers to be seen... but this was my first and probably last Anime Expo.

There's just no excuse for that kind of wait. :l

(I have a picture of the line but can't figure out how to post it)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

When the pre-registration line is very long the regular registration line is more likely to be shorter for more of the rest of the time because the AX crew tries to fix what went wrong with the earlier pre-registration line.

Now if the pre-registration AND the registration line were both VERY long ALL the time that would be a good sign for me to attend next year since they would put in a main priority effort into fixing the lines for next years AX. That situation happened several years ago and boy the lines were so damn short and quick the following year. :)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

And then what happened?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

They don't need to pay staff.

They just need to mail the damn badges out in advance. Voila, no line.

I mean... catch a clue from one of the organizations that does huge conferences all the time! It's not rocket science... but they can't seem to get it right. Stubborn "we know better" attitude.

They'll eventually have to raise the price to cover the exhibit hall, because people will stop going if they have to miss half the day each time.

P.S. Shellie!! :dgrin I want to see you 'make him.' Can I watch? :ewhip: