Sensei at Otakon

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Sensei at Otakon

Post by vapalla »

I posted the pic of Sensei in his amazing Gankutsuou costume. For some reason, I loaded it once and the thumbnail didn't work so I loaded it again and it worked. Here it is.

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/album_p ... pic_id=191

If someone on the technical end of the scrapbook could delete the faulty one, that would be appreciated.

ENJOY! :D
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Sakura-chan
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Sakura-chan »

WOW !!! What a great picture !! Sensei, your costume is awesome !!! :yay Thanks Vapalla for the really nice picture !! :D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Sakura-chan's New Domain!!! CHECK IT OUT!
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! :jump :wave:

I am soooooooooooo jeolous.... I wish I could be there /sob
Cats rule!
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

The pic was taken by my daughter with a cel phone. I think she did a good job. I should have let her load it in the scrapbook too since she probably wouldn't have messed it up like I did the first time.
:?
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Tell me why you should.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

What was amazing to me was how much in place I looked and felt (once I'd gotten off the streets and out of the eyes of the Otakon-shocked Baltimorians).

Thank you, Valpalla! It is a nice photo, flattering of the cane and hand-stitched sleeves anyhow. (The basic jacket came from the local Goodwill shop.)
Hakiri
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Hakiri »

Wahhh~! That's an awesome costume, sensei!! O_O Wow! :hello

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin x)
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

WAAAA! That's amazing! Superb costume Sensei- hope the face paint eventually came off OK, or is that your usual hue? :)
The hat and cane really tops off the ensemble, good for you.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

OMG that is so amazing!!

I can definitely see the resemblance:

Ok Sensei, how many eons of hard labor did it take to come up with that outstanding costume??!!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Baakay wrote: Ok Sensei, how many eons of hard labor did it take to come up with that outstanding costume??!!
The hat, ho wig, and cape were simple: I just used a credit card at the right online costume outlet.

The pants were part of my existing "burial suit" outfit (suitable for funerals, memorial services, and the occasional Saturday service when my wife and I substitute for our pastor). We got the ruffled shirt years ago at a yard sale specifically to use it for Halloween and masquerade affairs.

The jacket came from the local Goodwill clothes outlet. I found a remnant of heavy red cloth at Ollie's Bargain Barn and spent about a day doing the figure-8 pattern in gold embroidery thread. The iridescent red/yellow flames were scraps from my Liz's Dorothy Wainright (Big O) dress that she wore at last year's Otakon. It took two evenings to get those cut out and sewed on right, with a little yellow ribbon underneath to give them some contour.

The cane was a huge dowel bought at Lowe's Hardware. On the top I screwed on a readymade spindle (same place) that was supposed to be a foot for an early American style table. I spent about an hour gilding it with gold spray paint, then gave it a few puffs of black paint to give it that "old gold" burnished look.

The ornament on the top was styrofoam (35 cents at Ben Franklin) cut to the right size with the sharpest kitchen knife in the house, then coated with about ten coats of acrylic paint to fill all the little holes. I used a Tomato Shark to hollow out the bottom so it would fit on the spindle. Then I put iridescent Christmas ribbon around it three ways, gilded three left-over chunks of styrofoam, pinned them to the top with old hat pins, and used a red Magic Marker to make them ruby-colored.

To secure the ornament to the spindle, I used a gold metal band that came off a package of gourmet coffee that I bought on clearance at WalMart because it was past its expiration date.

The bow was inexpensive sheer fabric from Ben Franklin's, basted together with some lace on the bottom left over from materials that my wife used to customize the hat she wore at her second wedding (to me). Then I put velcro on the back and on the lapels of the ruffled shirt so I could just stick it on the front and wouldn't have to tie it around my back.

The ears were strips of old shirt cardboard with blue duct tape wrapped around them. Two more strips of the same duct tape held them onto the back of my actual ears (very securely, I might add).

I started trimming my beard to match the Count's look about a month before Otakon and had my regular hairdresser even out and touch up the look the Tuesday before. Then I liberally applied "Natural Real Black Just for Men Brush-In Color Gel" ("The Rejuvenator") until my facial hair matched the ho wig.

The blue makeup was out of an old Halloween kit that I found under the sink. It came off neatly and completely with two Ponds Clean Sweep cleansing & make-up removing towelettes (with chamomile & green tea) that I got at the CVS drugstore next to the Con hotel.

The whole affair was surprisingly comfortable, which is why I decided not to take it off after going to see the screening of Midori Days (da Count gives this wonderful ecchi series one ... two ... bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha ... TWO thumbs up) and before the panel. Image

Doing Jet Black and Icchan Mihara in past years were fun, but a little like testing the waters for me. But this was great fun. I'll definitely do it again.
sensei

Post by sensei »

weird double post. sorry.
Last edited by sensei on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

And that worked well for you.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

My gosh, what fun. You sounded like one of those late-night commercial slots ("Tomato Shark! Many uses! it slices, dices, chops and peels, even use it to make your costumes!")

Almost woke the kids up when I got to the ears part... *giggle* ("HA!" she cries aloud).

Well hats off to you, that was just an outstanding costume. You almost give me enough courage to make one for myself... (except that after the last year's ill health I'm feeling like I'd need to shop at Greeley Tent & Awning for enough fabric...) :D
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Baakay wrote:OMG that is so amazing!!

I can definitely see the resemblance:

Ok Sensei, how many eons of hard labor did it take to come up with that outstanding costume??!!
COOL picture!!!!! /lv /lv I love it :D :D
Cats rule!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Oh you can, can you?
-I, Robot (Asimov)