What East Coast Cons are cel afficianados going to?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
hobbywhelmed
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

What East Coast Cons are cel afficianados going to?

Post by hobbywhelmed »

East Coast - north of Maryland, though!

Last year, at Lunacon (once Rye, NY, this year in Secaucus), mixed SF/lit SF/media/costuming-cosplay con, a guy last year tried to have an intro cel discussion group, but I was the only person who showed.

I-con, held at the Stony Brook University on Long Island, has become very anime-friendly, with several viewing tracks as well as several cosplay events. There is a lecture/demo on coloring in photoshop that gets the room squeezed to capacity, and I've heard of a how-to-pain-cels workshop but I don't know how that's been attended. (To be brutally honest, though, this con is spread out over a wide and windy campus. I don't think I'd cart even two books of cels around all day without some sort of wheeled assistance!) (And yes, I would be too neurotic to leave them in the car.)

I've missed Shoujocon the last two years. Any representation there? (And when is it - if it is - this year?)

:dban (No reason for this. I just liked it. And how often you have an opportunity to do the Funky Banana Dance?)
SilentBidder
Anime Geek

Post by SilentBidder »

I know there's one coming up in Boston, I think it's called AnimeCon or something. Never went to it though, and I'm not sure if it's even worth going to or not. It's at the Hynes Convention Center, which isn't their largest convention hall (the Bayside Expo is their huge one).
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I go to AWA - Anime Weekend Atlanta - every year. :) I'm also going to A-Kon this year but since it's in Texas I'm not sure if you would consider that East coast. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
hobbywhelmed
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by hobbywhelmed »

>>since it's in Texas I'm not sure if you would consider that East coast.

Well, there is that portion that hangs down like a ventral fin, just above Mexico - I think that faces east -- but to the purists driving to a con, nope, not really! :rollin
Okuni
Kamisama - God

Post by Okuni »

SilentBidder wrote:I know there's one coming up in Boston, I think it's called AnimeCon or something. Never went to it though, and I'm not sure if it's even worth going to or not. It's at the Hynes Convention Center, which isn't their largest convention hall (the Bayside Expo is their huge one).
It's AB or AnBos. It is worth going to, especially if you're limited to what conventions you can go to. And if it HAD been at Bayside, I don't think anyone could afford it! That venue is so expensive and has so many rules, it takes out a lot of the fun.
Once in New England, there's little anime activity, it's more comics and sports. bleh sports.
Of note this year: Guests are Greg Ayres, Vic Mignogna and other known VA. I can't remember them all; I'm a Saiyuki freak (obviously) and didn't bother memorizing anyone else! ^//^

here's the link: http://www.animeboston.com
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Normally I attend Katsucon (Washington DC in February) and Otakon (Baltimore in August), but this year I'm attending AX (Anaheim in July) instead of Otakon. ^_^;

And do you consider Anime North (Toronto in May) an "East Coast" convention? It's basically next to NY...
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I'm not an every-year con goer, but this year I'm planning to attend Otakon. :) Eventually I'll make it out for AX, but I normally visit CA once a year to see my parents, so two trips to CA would put a serious crunch on my vacation time. :P