CLAMP Coming to Anime-EXPO!

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

CLAMP Coming to Anime-EXPO!

Post by rallihir »

I'd heard rumors of this, but I couldn't believe it when I saw the posting today. CLAMP is going to be one of the guests of honor at Anime Expo.

:jump :jump :jump
I think this is the first time the four mangaka have been to the US for a convention. I've got my registration locked and loaded. This is one opportunity that I can't pass up. I thought I would have to go visit to Japan to even stand the chance to go to one of the events they would be in attendence. Needless to say, I've got a couple cels I'd like them to sign...

On a side note, I'm trying to start a cel panel for Anime-Expo. I've got Ron Stark from SR Labs willing to give a presentation on cel and animation artwork conservation. I just need to get a panel room and need some local help as I used to live in So Cal, but am now in the Bay Area. I'd also like to find someone with animation experience who would also be willing to speak. Can anyone lend a hand?
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
syan
Senpai - Elder

Re: CLAMP Coming to Anime-EXPO!

Post by syan »

rallihir wrote:I'd heard rumors of this, but I couldn't believe it when I saw the posting today. CLAMP is going to be one of the guests of honor at Anime Expo.

:jump :jump :jump
I think this is the first time the four mangaka have been to the US for a convention. I've got my registration locked and loaded. This is one opportunity that I can't pass up. I thought I would have to go visit to Japan to even stand the chance to go to one of the events they would be in attendence. Needless to say, I've got a couple cels I'd like them to sign...
I saw the news on AXs website earlier, and I'm excited too! Even though I don't collect much of their stuff (I have to limit my series with larger price tags), I do love their works. Thankfully I have a wish Wish cel on the way, so I'll be waiting in line for that to be signed. Regardless, I have blank shikishi that I'd be just as happy to be autographed. :)
rallihir wrote:On a side note, I'm trying to start a cel panel for Anime-Expo. I've got Ron Stark from SR Labs willing to give a presentation on cel and animation artwork conservation. I just need to get a panel room and need some local help as I used to live in So Cal, but am now in the Bay Area. I'd also like to find someone with animation experience who would also be willing to speak. Can anyone lend a hand?
Thanks for geting a panel organized!
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Yay! I'm glad they decided to come to AX! I was so hoping that they would!! I wasn't gonna bring my cels, but I'll bring a couple just in case! This is one panel I'll be lining up super-early for. :D

As for the panel, I can't help much there. Have you already submitted a form requesting a panel? I inquired for a Ball Jointed Doll panel, which I hope if selected won't coincide with the cel panel.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I was hoping this would be the case when I saw Anime News Network's post earlier this year about at least one member visiting the USA. Now I'm super-psyched, especially since this will be my first year at AX.

I plan on waiting in line as soon as one forms. Something tells me I'll need to pack some food and drinks :^^:

I'm even blowing off my mother's birthday to attend. I'm sure she'll understand *wink*

If you'll allow me to fangirl for just a moment here: *SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!*
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Hey! Cool! Let's form a Anime Beta/Rubberslug group when we line up! So far it's Craig (Rallhir), Syan, Me, ReitheJelly, Poe, and Foechadan.

We can bring food, drink, music, and cels. Oh, and I'll have my dolls with me. :D
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Ms. Poe »

Yes...I'm still too excited for words. Rhey and I will be camping in the line...Anyone else interested...LOL!

Now...To decide what cel I wanna get signed...

Do you think with their strict views on fan art that they would sign my Tsubasa fan cel? I have original CLAMP cels, but most with not enough room as my fan cel.

Craig: I'd definitely be interested in the cel panel. If you need any help with it...E-mail me ^_^!
Image Image
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Elfstalker wrote:Hey! Cool! Let's form a Anime Beta/Rubberslug group when we line up!
Heh. We totally should. I'd be down for something like that.

I wonder how they'll do the autograph sessions, since they're limited. Since I've never been to AX before, all I have to go on is rumors (I've heard that for some of the very popular guests you have to enter a lottery to get to meet them?)

I'm also curious if they'll have a limit on the number of items that you can get signed? Sometimes at conventions I've seen people limit autographs to one-per-person, just so the line moves along quickly.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

You know I'll be there early in line as well. I just hope that they will be there Saturday or Sunday. I'll bring the ramune and pocky! I am really tempted to have them sign one of the hankens, but I'm a bit uncertain if that would be wise. If not, I'll certainl have a CCS cel for them to sign! I'll keep everyone appraised about the cel panel if I can get the EXPO committee to let us have one.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
kawaii-clamp-fan
Kamisama - God

Post by kawaii-clamp-fan »

:'( I don't think they'll ever come to the UK...

*is hopeful* If anyone happens to get something little extra signed for me, I'd be so eternally grateful!!
'I beg of you, Please Save Sakura!' - Tsubasa ^_^

http://fuu.rubberslug.com
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Ugh! I think they're gonna have the horrid lottery system. X| Why can't they just let the fans line up and let the guests decide how many they want to sign??

I was thinking of bringing my hanken too, but yeah, it may not be wise. I dunno. It's awful big too to lug around. 8O How about Madhouse Test cels? CLAMP had nothing to do with makng the X2 cels, do they?

Just in case, I'll bring 3 regular cels. :wink:

Kawaii: Depending on how AX plans to handle the autograph session, we can bring an extra manga or pencilboard for them to sign for you. :)

I'm gonna be insane and bring my Hinoto doll with me. Maybe they'll sign her backside. 8O

Cel Gallery
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

YAY!!!! Very exciting. :jump I have a question though. In regards to having a cel signed. We had a discussion on this board a longtime ago about pros and cons of having it done. Doesn't it decrease the value of the cel or hurt it? Even if it isn't on the picture itself? I know since it's CLAMP then maybe all is forgiven and the value actually goes up, but I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I'd love to get a cel signed. I just worry about any possible issues later on with damage or god forbid......resale value. Hopefully I wouldn't have to sell it though. X| I think I'd shoot myself first. 8O
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I still think that the best place for autographs is on the sketch, I have a couple that way and it doesn't bother the art and the cel is still original :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
evilminion
Senpai - Elder

Post by evilminion »

Another good idea is to overlay a blank piece of acetate over the cel, and have that signed. :) Then you can frame it like that if you want!
He who dies with the biggest mech... obviously needed a bigger mech.
http://www.evilminion.com/ - anime cel gallery
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I don't have any spare acetate long enough for a movie sized cel.

Besides, these cels are mine forever. And it's CLAMP!! I worship them! I think any item with their autograph on it will go up, since their siggies are rare. I have a spare sign-board that if possible, I'll ask for a color sketch instead of a siggie, since those are far more rare than an autograph.

Isn't permanent marker removable with alcohol?

Cel Gallery
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

I'm with 'minion, an acetate layer on top for sigs works nice. In case you ever need to part with the cel, you can keep the sig too.

I have spare acetate (standard size) and shikishi just in case. My best friend volunteered herself and her ex to stand in line to get extra sigs. I really don't want to jip them of the opportunity, but if they seriously don't care, that's two more items. Hmm..might have to get something for the post office lady though, she's a freak for CLAMP too..
Elfstalker wrote:Isn't permanent marker removable with alcohol?
I'm pretty sure it is. Stamping ink and Sharpies on hands come off with alcohol well enough. :D