Preferred time for a cel collectors panel at EXPO 06

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.

What is your preferred time for a cel collectors panel?

Poll ended at Wed May 10, 2006 11:23 am

Saturday 7:30 PM
67%
Saturday 8:30 PM
33%

Total votes: 9

rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Preferred time for a cel collectors panel at EXPO 06

Post by rallihir »

I have received a response regarding hosting a cel collectors panel at EXPO 06 and wanted to solicit some requests for a meeting time. The best time for the panel seems to be Saturday, 1-Jul-06 and there is a choice of 7:30 pm or 8:30 pm. Given the choice of those two times, which would you prefer. I need to get back to the convention planners as soon as possible, so I'd like to make a decision by 10-May-06 (Wed). I am also trying to get Ron Stark of SR Labs to give a small discussion regarding animation art conservation. So hopefully, there will also be a didactic portion to the panel as well as the usual show and tell.

Thanks

rallihir
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Ms. Poe »

Is there a time limit on how long our meeting could be? Would 8:30pm be the last meeting for a specific block so we can go on as ong as we need to in the night ;)? Just a few things to consider ^.^!
Image Image
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Since I will be working a booth, the later is probably
better for me. But, as Poe says, we will have as long
as we need, right?? :o
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Oh.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

I guess for me the answer depends on what the Slugfest plans are. If we are going to try to do that the same night as the panel, I would prefer the earlier time. If not, I probably don't care much one way or the other which time is picked.

BTW, what is the plan at the moment? Is the entire event planned to be a panel discussion, or is there an hour at the end to get together and look at each other's cels? Ms. Poe's point about having the last block of the night is a good one if Slugfest doesn't happen immediately after and we would like to a mingle a little bit. :)
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

I voted 7:30, but it really just all depends on what's going on Saturday night. Yeah, not much help on my part, but I'll probably be able to go along with either. 8)
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Ms. Poe wrote:Is there a time limit on how long our meeting could be? Would 8:30pm be the last meeting for a specific block so we can go on as ong as we need to in the night ;)? Just a few things to consider ^.^!
I imagine the cel meeting would be at least an hour. I would like to do about 30 minutes for SR Labs then leave the remaining time for cel sharing. I will try to coordinate this with the RS gathering as I would like the two to be compatible. I have yet to find out when the CLAMP related activities will be. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure all this out before events are set. It may be a lot to ask to get the Slugfest and enough cel sharing in unless we start at 7:30 and let the Slugfest either happen after the cel sharing or perhaps on a different day (all these activities may take too much time for a night!)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Then again, it may not.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

So far, we're aiming for Slugfest to be right after the cel panel. If we have Slugfest starting at 9PM, then either choices for the cel panel will work, but preferably 7:30 so we have time to share cels.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

The consensus seems to be 7:30 pm on Saturday July 1st, so I have asked the AX panel committee for a time of 7:30. This will give us enough time for the RS gathering afterward. I will let you know when this is confirmed. Also, I have confirmed with Ron Stark at SR Labs that he will take part in a discussion of anime art conservation during the cel panel. So, come with your questions and your damaged artwork. He may be able to give some useful tips for archival storage and restoration of your artwork.
buma
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by buma »

[off-topic]
um, question - what do you guys talk about in a cel panel, anyway? As one of the assistant directors for my local convention, I wouldn't mind seeing this sort of thing happen here. However, as I have no idea what one would talk about, I am reluctant to bring it up.

So, what do you guys talk about? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

[/off-topic]
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Basically anything cel-related. Popular stuff would be cel conservation, how to store them, frame them, and what kind of materials to use. Also there can be discussions on how cels are 'graded,' what douga/genga, timesheets are, etc. There can also be discussion on the animation process, so how cels are used to make an anime can be talked about. CGI can also be mentioned as an alternative to traditonal cel making.

Then of course there is the Q and A and time for people to share their cels (and sell).

:wink:
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

I just received confirmation about the cel panel time. The panel definitely be at 7:30 to 8:30 pm on Saturday July 1st. I confirmed Ron Stark from SR Labs to give a quick discussion about cel conservation. Hopefully Elfstalker or JWR can find a good restaurant with a big back room for our continued RS gathering after the cel panel. Hope to see everyone at AX.

PS: The panel will be in LIVE PROGRAMMING ROOM #2