Bringing Your Cels to AX...

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Bringing Your Cels to AX...

Post by Ms. Poe »

Well, I've thought about it, and talked about it with a few people...And I'm not sure about bringing my cels to AX. People have told me I should be prepared to babysit them 24/7, because of the rarity my collection holds.

I'd love to share them all with you, but now I'm not sure. My boyfriend tells me not to bring them, and I might side with him.

What are your thoughts? I'm rooming with at least one cel collector I know...But what if the maid comes in...etc. Hmmm...Just not sure kids. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Image Image
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

If I wanted to bring them, I would keep them in my LOCKED luggage when I'm not in the room.

(i tend to lock my luggage if i'm going to be gone a long time anyway, you never know, and someone who might take something might be less likely to take a whole suitcase - that's pretty easy to spot if its missing)

This will not guarantee their safety, but if no one knows that they are there, then they will probably look for something more obvious to take.

PS. Yay Libran Women!
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I'm not going to A-X this year, but if I was, I would only bring one book and
that book would be with me at all times. I always keep a backpack with me
to put any freebies or purchases in, so it would just add to the load a bit. But
one book shouldn't be too heavy.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

Well, I guess I'm being selfish, but I would really love to see your cels. :) As far as cels being stolen from the hotel room, the thought generally crosses my mind, but I'm rarely that worried about it. You can usually set it up in such a way that you would almost have to be targeted to really risk losing them. What I'm more worried about is if I have to leave them in a car for some reason, especially if I'm only carrying a few books in a case designed for a laptop computer. People are more likely to steal them if they think they are a computer they can quickly pawn. :(
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I will be going and bringing a large amount of my cel books for I live not too far from AX.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I'll be bringing some of my cels to AX. I honestly don't think that the average maid is going to know the value of a cel, so would be less likely to steal it than someone actually at the convention. But if you carry your cels on you at all times, I think you'll be okay.

I actually had some reservations myself after hearing that a dealer had 2 cel books stolen last year. But I think that if I'm careful enough, my cels will be fine.
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Mon May 29, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

And. If you were, would you tell me?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Is anyone bringing cels for possible trades or just for show?

I'm very hestitate to bring any cels with me and have not brought them in the past.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Bring a few to AX if you can. I've been there five years in a row and have not lost a single thing. They will be fine in your hotel, and you will only need to bring them for the cel panel.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I hadn't planned on taking any, but I don't have very much.

However, I do plan to come back home with some!
*wonders at what dollar amount does it become insane to carry that much cash...*
See you all in the dealers room!
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

animeobsessed wrote:Is anyone bringing cels for possible trades or just for show?

I'm very hestitate to bring any cels with me and have not brought them in the past.
I generally bring several I'm willing to trade. Some are part of my displayed cels, but I also have sequence mates and a few not shown that I will carry. Generally at these events many people are very interested in trading, but it seems we don't often have the time to accomplish much at the larger larger group meetings.

Personally, I'm much less worried about my cels being stolen (though it does cross my mind) than it sounds like some others are. To me the question if more of the hassle because it isn't like you are just carrying more money in your pocket. The weight takes effort and a little preparation. Having said that though, the social events with other cel collecting friends is pretty much the only reason I go to a con anymore, so if I'm going to go at all I'll generally take at least a couple of books.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

animeobsessed wrote:Is anyone bringing cels for possible trades or just for show?
I'm going to bring some sequence mates for trade, as well as a few cels/sketches that aren't pictured in my gallery. At previous conventions there has never been enough time to trade with people, but I wouldn't be adverse to trying it at AX.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

I'll be bringing some choice cels as well, and I'd love to see everyone elses cels. As for security, if I had wishlist cels in the group, I'd definitely hang on to them. Most hotel rooms are secure enough, but if any of your artwork reaches into the $$$$ range, I would arrange for the hotel security to keep them in their safe.

I also used to live locally, so my cels will only be making a short trip. I'm more concerned about the heat of So Cal in July, so I'll probably keep the cels close in the air-conditioned exhibit halls.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That sounds like pride.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Nope - travelling too far to do that. Besides, most of
my best cels and sketches are already framed, so I
don't really want to take them out in order to bring them.
But I can't wait to see what everyone else brings. :wink: