Q & A for Cel Panel at AX 2006

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

miz ducky wrote:What's wrong with cel bags?

Can anyone recap what was covered?
The consern he had about the use of cel bags was that the cel may eventually stick to them just like two layers of cels can.

He recomended storing the cel between 2 pieces of paper like the studios do. If the paper sticks it's not of value like a sketch so if the paper tears it is not a concern and does not hurt the cel.
roboFlone wrote: And I expect that they probably won't tell you the secrets of cel separation, since it's their trade secret.
More likely they don't want to risk you trying it at home and doing unrepairable damage to your cel.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

That's the impression I got too JWR. A lot was asked about how to "do it yourself" at home for sketch and background separation and it was obvious that he was hesitant to give advice for fear it might go......'bad'. That's a big liability when you can't be there to talk someone through it. He had said there was a certain type of paper that should be used to store the cels. Framing was discussed and what not to use......"GLASS" as well as mats and such. Some things were discussed which many of you already know....keep cel away from sunlight if framed. But also certain light bulbs too. Museum framing? ......no such thing exists. I really enjoyed it though wish it were longer. For such last minute planning though I thought it went quite well. Hopefully we can plan well ahead next time and get more time set aside for Q&A. :D Thanks again Craig. :)
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

RoboFlonne wrote:About Cel Bags: The plastics maybe will melt together if the temperature got too hot or cold...

Really I don't like the idea that none of their staff, actually collects Cels. Considering the hours that we spend looking at cels and prices. More than likely, any of us knows more about the value of the Cel then the appraiser in their staff.

And I expect that they probably won't tell you the secrets of cel separation, since it's their trade secret.
The other issue with cel bags is the type of bag. Obviously some plastics stick better than others bags. I believe Ron's concern about bags stems from two different issues. One - all plastic contains some plasticiser to keep the material pliable. Some of this may leach out of the bag and affect the cel. Two - Even very inert, very low plasticiser material like Mylar (polyolefin) has issues with being very attractive to cel paint. Given enough time, the plastic and paint may stick together. Imagine what would happen if you put a piece of acetate under your cel (since acetate is plastic...) On an aside, I also asked about siliconized mylar, a material that a friend of mine who works in art conservation at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum. This material works great, does not leach, and will not stick to the cel. Apparently this would be very good cel storage material according to Ron, but it is very difficult to source.

As for the cel collectors panel, I wish there was more time as well. I had only planned on a hour knowing the RS gathering was going to be later that evening. Of course that did not count the problem getting up to the panel room. If I continue this event for AX 2007, I'll ask for more time. I'd also like to continue to have some didactic as well as some cel sharing time.

Also with regards to appraisals. Ron said he does not rely on the advice of an individual but gets market wide sales data for cel appraisals. This probably works quite well in the American animation market, where prices for key Disney pieces are publically known.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness