Q & A for Cel Panel at AX 2006

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Q & A for Cel Panel at AX 2006

Post by rallihir »

In my discussions with Ron Stark at SR Labs who will be taking part in the cel panel at AX, we decided to solicit questions from the cel audience (you!) about your topmost questions and queries in cel and anime art conservation. So in keeping with this, please submit any questions you would like to have Ron answer at the cel panel to this thread or the one at Rubberslug. I am hoping to have about 15 minutes of didactics, 15 minutes for the Q&A, and the rest of the time for cel sharing but everthing's flexible. Please submit all your questions by June 20th so that I may collate them and send them onto Ron.

Thanks

rallihir
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

May I ask where you got discussions with Ron Stark at SR Labs who will be taking part in the cel panel at AX we decided to solicit questions from the cel audience you?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I'd like to know how the professionals remove stuck sketches without damaging the cel!

Although not as burning a question, I'd like to get some idea of how much various framing items cost (either through S/R labs, or individual internet purchases): museum glass, double-sized frames, things of that nature...
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I don't know if S/R Labs does this, but I would like to know about cel appraising/ authenticating. If they do cel appraisals, what are their criteria?
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I'd like to know how the professionals remove stuck sketches without damaging the cel!
Stuck sketches was the first thing that came to my mind too.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

momo wrote:Are you referring to anime cels b/c I for one have yet to find a professional "service" that does this.
Someone here on beta or over on RS (in fact, I believe it was rallihir) had mentioned getting some hanken/opening sketches unstuck by SR Labs, so they do offer that service. :wink:
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Two more questions! :D

I would also be interested to hear how they remove dirt and other unwanted additions from cels. Is there any way or getting layers unstuck to clean between them? I have many multi-layered cels that could do with a good cleaning...

Another question: is it possible to clean exterior trace lines? Some of my cels that have light colored (skin-tone, white, etc.) hand-painted trace lines on the front have accumulated dirt on them over the years. Is it possible to clean the lines without removing them?

I'd also really be interested in seeing a base-price sheet from S/R Labs. How much do their services start at?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'm not going to be able to be there, but could you please ask him what the ideal relative humidity is for long term care of cels and sketches?

That would be great to know.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Thanks everybody for your questions. I'll be compiling these and sending them to SR Labs next week, but there still is time for a couple last minute questions, and of course, you have the opportunity to ask them yourself at the AX panel.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Could someone please share any of the answers to the questions that were given at the AX Cel Panel?

Anything at all? :^^:
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Keropi wrote:Could someone please share any of the answers to the questions that were given at the AX Cel Panel?

Anything at all? :^^:
Keropi,

Unfortunately, the cel panel agenda did not go exactly as planned. A lot of time was spent addressing the first four questions, so we did not get to all of them. But, here is what I have...

1. Paint deterioration and best bag storage - Basically, there is no way to prevent slow oxidation or photodegration of the paint since the paint and xerographic lines are on top of each other. The damage can be minimized by decreasing exposure to light of all kinds. Fluorescent light in particular can be bad because of the spectral quality of the light. Some lights will damage the cel acetate. Also, it is a good idea to use UV resistant acrylic rather than glass. As for the bag controversy, Ron believed that it was best not to use any bag at all, except for temporary storage, rather cels should be stored as loosely as possible with acid free paper separating the cels.

2. Stuck sketches - Apparently professionals have special methods to remove sketches. SR labs uses a steam pencil (a rather expensive $3000 device) that uses a very thin stream of steam to heat the specific portion of the cel/sketch interface and allows the user to slowly pull the pieces apart with minimal damage. He says, if the cel is that important to you, let a professional separate it.

3. Cell appraising - Yes, SR labs does cel appraisal. They do a researched market appraisal. Also, none of the staff collect or own cels to avoid conflict of interest.

4. Best cleaning solution for cels - Basically, there are no good general solutions. All portions of the cel have different materials that have sensitivities to different types of solutions. Water can be used. As for multiple layers, again, he recommended against trying to separate these at home, and if the cels was special enough, it would be best to have a professional service do the separation as they have special tools.

That was about as far as we got. Ron had many anecdotal stories about damaged cels, backgrounds, and sketches that his lab had dealt with over the years. We probably could have used an extra 30 minutes for the discussion. If I get to do this again next year, I'll watch the program more closely and may ask for more time in the panel.

Hope this helps.

Craig
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Who is he telling this to?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I thought it was very informative. Just now saw this question. :emb Looks like Craig has it covered. But it was ashame we didn't have more time. So many questions....so little time. I remember feeling like....oh no.....I need to get home and change how I store them. I learned:
Cel Bags = Evil :emb

I felt no less humbled when I walked out of there and learned a great deal on things that I need to change. 8O
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

What's wrong with cel bags?

Can anyone recap what was covered?

i was there for a little while, but his stories about why he's so smart got kinda long, and only 2-3 questions were answered in 30 min.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

About Cel Bags: The plastics maybe will melt together if the temperature got too hot or cold...

Really I don't like the idea that none of their staff, actually collects Cels. Considering the hours that we spend looking at cels and prices. More than likely, any of us knows more about the value of the Cel then the appraiser in their staff.

And I expect that they probably won't tell you the secrets of cel separation, since it's their trade secret.