Otakon 2006

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
ayame-shigure
Otaku - Fanatic

Otakon 2006

Post by ayame-shigure »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is going to otakon this year? Also has anyone heard of a cel panel/meeting being set up this year?

Thanks!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Almost everyone.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I will be there. Don't know if there is a cel panel in the works, but I'm sure there will be enough cel collectors for another Slugfest East.
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Ms. Poe »

If anyone is going and wants to get me a Nobuteru Yuki siggy...OMG...Please contact me ;_;/!
Image Image
starlightx
Kishin - Fierce God

Otakon - Hotel Share

Post by starlightx »

Since I couldn't make it to AX, I really want to go but the hotels that are still available are so expensive.

If any who is going & doesn't have a hotel room, maybe we could share or if someone already has a room & would be kind enough to share with me, give me a holler. I am very neat, quite, reliable & a non-smoker.

Thanks.
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by purple-plum »

ill be there...maybe there will be an rs east again?

~kt
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

Yep RS east will be same bat time same bat channel. Check my thread announcing time and place! Sorry thou, I didn't do the panel this year. I was so focused on getting to AX I simply lost track of time.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Checking. . . stand by.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

This is my second year at Otakon but I've never conversed/met any other collectors before.

Can someone fill me in on what Slugfest and all that stuff is like? How do I meet everyone? Where? When?

I'd love info. I'm hitting the cel booths this year like MAD. XD
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Make an appointment.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ReAnimator
Anime Geek

Post by ReAnimator »

Is Cloud trying to start a flame war???
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I think so, but I'm not sure. Ask German Alice if it is.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Nelia wrote:This is my second year at Otakon but I've never conversed/met any other collectors before.

Can someone fill me in on what Slugfest and all that stuff is like? How do I meet everyone? Where? When?

I'd love info. I'm hitting the cel booths this year like MAD. XD
Welcome to the Slugfest community, Nelia. It's a fancy name for a time and place that cel collectors agree on to meet and look at each others' cel books. This year, IIRC, it's set for Saturday night, 9 PM to ???, at McKenna's Bar and Grill, located at 301 W. Lombard St in the Holiday Inn.

It's one of those precious times when we get to see some of the items we look at often in an online gallery, only in real life. Cels almost always look better first hand than in scans (exceptions: the multilayer cels that get stored with plastic sheets in between the layers).

It's also a time to show off new acquisitions from the cel booths and get to talk to people you previously know only as screen names.

Ignore Cloud: he's mad because he knows he's not invited.
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

Thanks for the info - I'm definetly going. People don't bring their entire collections, right? I only have 25 cels or so, so I've got a pretty pitiful collection compared to some other folks.

Is there a list of the cel dealers that will be attending Otakon?
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

Unless I get a surprise and something just doesn't work out with my schedule, I'm definitely planning on being there.
Nelia wrote:Thanks for the info - I'm definetly going. People don't bring their entire collections, right? I only have 25 cels or so, so I've got a pretty pitiful collection compared to some other folks.

Is there a list of the cel dealers that will be attending Otakon?
Almost no one brings their entire collection, but a few of us bring a good chunk of it. A few people live very close, and so transporting cels isn't as big a deal. I generally transport more than I should. ^_^;

Don't worry if your collection is small. None of us started with large collections. For many of us, the fun thing is going through a collection with the owner and experiencing why it is important to them. You learn a good bit about people when you can see what motivates them to collect specific items. Sharing in someone's appreciation for their collection is what I get the most out of, whether the collection is large or small. :)

Curt from Asylum Anime is almost always there, but it seems like the other vendors vary from year to year. I haven't yet seen a posted exhibitor list for this year.