My trip back from AX - What a nightmare

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Goldknight
RULER

My trip back from AX - What a nightmare

Post by Goldknight »

So I made it home from AX and what a trip back. Allow me to share with the class.

July 2 - Time to return to Denver from AX
I left my hotel room on the 4th floor and caught the elevator to go down to the parking garage to get my rental. After stepping on the elevator and pressing "P" the doors closed and I heard "clink, clink, clink" and then it didn't move. I was in the elevator STUCK for 10 mintues by myself.

Now at the airport on the plane. I had to fly to Phoenix to catch a connecting flight. The plane took off and as it was ascending it dropped in elevation pretty quick and after that struggled to ascend. We had a constant rattling and vibrating after that. So bad that your drinks traveled across your tray tables if you didn't hold them. The flight attendant comes in with a pasted smile on her face asking if everyone is fine and needs anything. Then the TVs drop down and start showing relaxing scenes of landscapes. We knew something was up. Then the TVs started displaying quiz questions from the game Cranium. After everyone started looking around wondering what the heck was going on the captain came on the intercom and says "We lost a valve in mid-air on take off that connects from the wing to the fusel lodge so we're talking to maintenance on the radio right now to see what we should do". By now people a pretty freaked. 10 minutes later the captain comes on and says "Maintenance thinks we can make it to Phoenix if we fly very slow so as not to lose anything else, but the rattling and vibrating would continue for the remainder of the flight". We finally made to Phoenix just in time for my connecting flight that was boarding.

The flight to Denver from Phoenix was incredibly bumpy as Colorado suffered MAJOR thunderstorms yesterday so once in the state the plane had to circle for at least 30 minutes before landing in the terrible weather.

Needless to say this was an AX weekend I won't soon forget. It was a BLAST until the day I left. I should also note that once I update my site with the goodies I bought I will NEVER sell those goodies. I feel they now have some meaning as I literally feel like I risked my life just to get them. :emb :emb :emb

Just thought I'd share that little piece of fun with y'all.

On a lighter note I just want to say that I had such an awesome time meeting new faces and seeing the old ones.

And finally.....I would so marry Lemar if he wasn't already taken. Golden Boy is such a sweetheart. :emb :emb :emb :wink:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Sounds like you had fun GK and thank goodness you made it home safely. I would have totally freaked if I was on that plane when the captain made that announcement. I can't wait to see your new goodies!

~Sugar
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Sounds like frustrating and scary situations. Luckily it happened on your way back instead and you made it home safely. On a positive note, at least your trip ended with a "bang". Can't wait to see the new additions.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Sounds like a great trip!

I wanted to go!!! /sob /sob /sob
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What does a great trip sound like?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Cloud wrote:What does a great trip sound like?
Well... it does NOT sound like a "bang!"

Nor does it involve that wonderful pitch and roll, pitch and roll that sometimes comes with that jump over the mountains coming into Denver. After a lovely first leg, what a treat!! :x "Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but our wing is about to fall off..."

Glad you made it back in one piece!
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Baakay wrote:

Nor does it involve that wonderful pitch and roll, pitch and roll that sometimes comes with that jump over the mountains coming into Denver. After a lovely first leg, what a treat!! :x "Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but our wing is about to fall off..."

Glad you made it back in one piece!
I'll admit it, poor choice of phrase on my part /hmm /wah . As long as you made it home safely.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Congratulations on a memorable trip, Goldknight, which will be the stuff of many entertaining legends you tell your children (or nephews/nieces, or random kids you lure into your 55-alive retirement community kitchen) with the promise of showing them your cel collection.

Your precioussses will, I'm sure be all the more so because of the ordeal you went through to get them. I'm glad AX was no disappointment: I'd have loved to go, defective airplanes, balky elevators, Illuminati hit men and all.

Truly, your flight reminds me of many I took on Piedmont Airlines when I was younger. My favorite involves a typically wobbly approach to a darkened runway, followed by a bouncy, tooth-jarring touchdown, and then the announcement, "We have just landed in Ashland, West Virginia. Please remain in your seats with the seat-belts fastened until..."

Whereupon we made a turn and all could see the terminal's huge neon letters: ROANOKE, VIRGINIA.

:emb 8O :emb
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Thank you, thank you very much. I would like to thank everyone who helped. . .
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

majinuub wrote:
Baakay wrote:
I'll admit it, poor choice of phrase on my part /hmm /wah . As long as you made it home safely.
Ack!! I wasn't meaning to pick at you, sorry!! :P I should have put a smiley after my bang. (It was actually kind of funny, to me, but I have a sick sense of humor :D )
sensei

Post by sensei »

Insert space for sick jokes about Goldknight's trip

Example: Did you hear how much money Goldknight spent to go to AX?

Yeah, it nearly cost her an arm and a leg!

:wack :hurt: Image
Shampy
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Shampy »

Oh wow...that flight must've been really scary. I'm glad you made it back ok.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

OK. You make the world a happier place.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Lynxa
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: The Post Katrina Big Easy, Not quite as big but still just as easy.

Post by Lynxa »

YIPES GK!!! 8O I don't think I could've sat through that without losing my hold on sanity! (Tenuous as it may be :^^: ) Thank goodness you got through it all right.

At least you had fun at the con! :D
Chzbrgr of Doom Better than the show at this point.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Holy cow! What an AX story. I am glad you made it back home in one piece.

It was great seeing you again, Angela. I hope we can do it again next year.

And yes, Lemar is awesome.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.