Best Cons to Go to

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
starlightx
Kishin - Fierce God

Best Cons to Go to

Post by starlightx »

Ok, I was wondering besides Anime Expo & Otakon what other cons would you recommend going to.

Please give the location & a reason why I should want to go there (i.e. - great guest, selection of panels & videos shown etc.)

Thanks.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I recommend attending Kawaii Kon!!
It's in Hawaii, so you can attend a con and then get to see Hawaii all in one trip!
(yes, I will forever shamelessly pimp Kawaii Kon)

Of all the cons that I've gone to though, AWA is my favorite.
I really enjoy AMVs and that is the one that most strongly supports the editors. There is a whole room (second largest event room) dedicated to Music Videos all weekend.
Also, they've been getting a great guest list for the last couple years.
I like the location and the layout of the space too. They really do a good job. I guess that's why this is their 12th year.

It's also really nice that it's not oversized like AX. You can do what you want to with out standing in line for over 2 hours.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I'll rate all the cons I've been to:

Otakon: B
Over-crowded and over-priced. About 50% of their staff is unfriendly. Their only redeeming factors (for me) are GOHs and friends attendance.

Katsucon: C
They've had real problems with their hotel choices in the past. The staff seems to be on a permanent power trip. No real guests to speak of. Yet for a con its size, it still remains "small" and has friendly attendees.

Anime Expo: A
Great location, friendly staff, reasonable rates, fantastic guests. The best con I've been to yet.

Anime North: A-
Good Canadian friendliness, a well-run con, good exchange rate. Sometimes their guests can be mediocre.

CNAnime (Canadian National Anime Convention): B
It shares the same convention time/space as Toronto Trek Fest, so this can get interesting. They have no guests, but it's a fun little con that will always have a special place in my heart.

This year I'll also be attending YaoiCon and Youmacon, so I'll let you know how those go once I'm done.
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

freaking double post...*sigh*

Sorry about this.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

I think I would have to be agree with ratings that ReiTheJelly had put together, though I can't speak to the Canadian conventions. However I would like to make two slight modifications. The first is that Otakon slipped even further this year to more like a B- (being generous). They had a pretty good guest selection, but the panels seemed like they were being run by people figuring it out for the first time, and there was no charity auction. I would also add Animazement to the list. It is a pretty small con, but often has surprisingly high level guests. If you love japanese voice actors, this is generally the one to go to. Every now and then they have an off year, but considering the lack of lines and the guest quality, I would have to give it a "B". The only problem is that meeting cel collectors is very difficult. You have to set something up well in advance, and you will have about half the gathering of an Otakon. Definitely a small con feel, so you only want to go if that is what you are looking for.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Well it depends mostly on where you live and what your after.

Comic-con Internation is held in San Diego during July and is the largest in the USA. It has a large mix for what ever one is after. Comic art , cels and all types of panels from movies & TV actors & directors to comic & manga artists. The dealer room takes at least 2 days to fully view.

Anime Expo , Anaheim Ca July 4th weekend , Largest anime only con (41K attended this year)

Wizard world Chicago , 2nd largest con next to comic-con

Anime Boston I have hear good things about.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison