What attracts you the most about cons?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
starlightx
Kishin - Fierce God

What attracts you the most about cons?

Post by starlightx »

Tell me what you look for in a con before deciding to attend. {Would do a poll but not working for me}

1) Guests
2) Autograph Session
3) Panels
4) Dealers
5) Videos/Movies Shown
6) Workshops
7) Friends/Gathering
8) Speical Events
9) Location
10) Other

For me, I would say the top thing I look for is guests. If there aren't going to be any good guest or possibly no autograph sessions then It not really worth the trip for me. The next would be panels, followed by dealers attending & list of videos/movies being shown. And finally workshops; I normally don't go to many workshops so this option is not real factor for me.

Of couse, Location is another BIG factor.
Last edited by starlightx on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hobbywhelmed
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by hobbywhelmed »

Once you make long-distance friendships from going to the same cons all your life, no matter what the programming, you return to certain cons to socialize (especially if you live in a fan-dry area!)! I've been meeting up with the same friends for over 20 years now at SF/media cons. (And thank god for cosplayers! They brought a new vitality to the aging fan population, even if the traditional costumers can't get the waste-my-whole-day-preparing-for-the-masquerade dedication out of them!

Re the few anime cons I've gotten to go to - Dealers' room, see cosplayers, A/V tracks, art show, and - if possible - guests (timing of talks is crucial, as is their being in a space where you can hear them! Stages attached the rear of a gymnasium dealers room are out!). If a panel is particularly interesting, then yes. But I've been to too many that fizzled bigtime to be utterly devoted just to them.

And although the anime cons I went to were day-trips only, activities being in the hotel and at one location is important. I'll schlep all over the SUNY Stony Brook campus for I-con, but the New York City con that was spread out over a 20-block area the first time was far too much exercise!
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I think my number 1 requirement for attending a con is friends.

However, I suppose that if I had a "built-in-friend" (aka husband), I might change my selection criteria.
The one year that I had a coworker friend to go with, we went to every one that we could get off of work for. (5 that year)

However, what I look forward to at a con is a Guest that I've never met before, and Special Events or Shows that I like.

I would also attend just about any con that is close to home, just because.
starlightx
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by starlightx »

Yes, I know what you mean about that NY con. You wasted so much time going from one thing to other that you got do practically nothing all day.

How is the I-con? Is is somewhat clsoe to me & thought about checking it out.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Friends. For me, there is no real point in traveling to a con if none of my friends are attending. I also cosplay, so I tend not to go to panels and workshops, since sitting in a costume can sometimes be a real pain. In the past I've never even bothered with GoHs, but now that I've sat through the CLAMP line, I think I can sit through anything! :^^:

Location is another factor, since I prefer to drive to conventions. But I'm willing to drive up to 800 miles, so I guess it only makes a difference for West Coast cons...
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

No question, it's friends for me. I also like the cel gatherings, but part of the thrill is making new friends and meeting old friends again.

After that, it would be the guests. I mean, I debated AX last year until I heard Sakamoto Maaya was going to be there. :) I would also travel overseas to see Kakinouchi-san, but these are more the exception than the rule.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I have a very busy work schedule so date and location are the biggest factors. Any con that occurs on a holiday weekend such as Independence Day, Memorial Day or Labor Day is not likely to work out for me.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

For myself the most important is renewing friendships.

Next would be the dealer room (Again renewing friendships but buying nice things from friends)

Then the Panels to see people one might never get the chance to see such as Clamp at AX this year or Ray Bradbury & Ray Harryhousen at Comic-con this year.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I can wait. I am a very patient robot.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Friends can definitely make it a lot more fun...especially if you're in long lines
like some of the ones like A-X.
Guests of course can make or break a con. I personally only care for the
Japanese guests as I'm not a fan of dubs. If the guests are doing autographs
(or sketches), that's definitely a big plus.
And of course, I definitely usually spend too much money, so must have a
good dealer's room :)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

My main reason is definitely meeting up with friends - new and old. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

My main reason is to meet with with friends as well.......and to pick on DT every chance I get. :emb :emb
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

c o l l e c t i v e
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by c o l l e c t i v e »

I usually pay for a con when there's a special guest or event. AXNY/BAAF 2002 - was my Cowboy Bebop fanboy explosion (for the dub movie premiere and meeting SW/TK/YK). ACEN 2005 - The Pillows... 'nuff said.

When I'm going to a con for free (namely Comic-Con & AWA), it's primarily hanging out with pals, buying stuff and hitting whatever panels seem interesting.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Goldknight wrote:.......and to pick on DT every chance I get. :emb :emb
Well, I guess I'm glad I missed AX this year. :nya:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Interesting. I want to find out more about you.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)