Is AX a good place to buy cels?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Alex
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Is AX a good place to buy cels?

Post by Alex »

AX is a busy place with too many people and too much going on. Even though a log of cel dealers there, but it is hard to take the time to browse or negotiate. I found it difficult to buy cels and sometimes ended up buying stuff I didn't really want.

Your experience?

Alex
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

In my case , I have found AX a good place due to the quality of cel dealers there. Asylum Anime , Neichibei , Anime Link , Anime Ed & others all have great stuff and have found some nice deals.

This year with AX moving back to Long Beach temporaly may make it more crowded.
:topic BTW great to see another L A Area member here.
Last edited by JWR on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

I usually take the better part of one day just to browse and talk. I usually have contacted some of the dealers I know will be there in advance to ask about key items that I have an interest. But I like AX for the most part to network and meet up with other collectors. If I can get the time, I'd like to arrange another cel collectors meeting and presentation at the Long Beach AX, however, I'll just be getting back from Japan two days earlier, so it might be a stretch. I guess coming from Japan to AX will be like going from the TRUE SOURCE to the desert :P (not to mention the jetlag)
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Haven't gone to an AX yet but plan to in the future. We visit all of the local north TX cons and while cels are not always plentiful (because dealers don't travel this far), buying cels at a con can be great. Gives you a chance to converse with the dealer and sometimes you can negotiate on the price.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Ehhh.. they have nice cel selections but I admit.. I probably walked away w/ only 2 nice cel/sketch related buys. :shrug

So IMHO I would have to say 'no' for the shopping :sweatdrop
I'd rather buy online anyday over con. :suga:

With so many people shopping, yelling, and hovering over all the books and dealers -- I got a lil overwhelmed and couldn't shop as well
as I could . :flushie
Still it was nice to talk to some of the folks I talk/buy from online alot
and just chit chat and catch up. :wink:
Last edited by Shampoo on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

In my experience you could probably spend the entire 4 days in the dealers room browsing cels. The dealers aren't necessarily together so finding all of them could take a whole day. (the dealers room really is that big - at least in LA it was) Then you have to go back and search though 100's of cels to find the one or two that you want at each table.

If you see something online that you want from one of the dealers that will be at AX you could work it out ahead of time so they have it ready for you when you find their table.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I have had 2 great years where I found wonderful cels I will never even think of selling and one year where I bought a few cels I should have passed on and should have gone for the one cel I regret not buying. That same year, AX 2005, I passed up a different cel b/c I thought it was too much to pay, went back and it was gone. So I have had great and not so great experiences for cel buying at AX.

I have always loved meeting other collectors. It's always great to see in person some of members from RS or here at beta along with some of the dealers I have bought from on-line.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

It's sometimes hard to browse for cels, especially the first day the dealers hall is open and people rush in to get first chance at them. Aside from that, it's great. Dealers don't put all of the cels they have up on their site, so going to a con to look over their books is really the only way to see them all. There are some really beautiful ones there too :love: I'll browse around the dealer hall when there's less of a crowd so I can take my time drooling at the beauties and visit some of my favorites.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

While I didn't feel that I had time to truely search through all the cels available at AX, the thing that I liked the most about that dealer room in particular, is the enormous selection of pencil boards (shitajiki) and at very good prices if you're willing to take the time to find the good deals.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I have gone twice now and have gotten some awesome cels and genga there. Ones that were never posted online and kept hidden until AX. Had I not gone then they would've been sold and I never would have had a chance at them. Like many others I love to go to meet up with everyone. I've made so many great friends there. Everyone is just amazing. Very helpful and it's always better when you can enjoy it with a group. :jump
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

When Kymaera and I went to what was my first AX (I think it was his as well, but I wouldn't bank on it) we lucked out horribly with some fabulous cels.

Other years it was been much more sparse -- unless you are independently wealthy, of course... But overall I'd say chances of finding something really good are much higher at AX than any of the smaller / local cons. Primary reason? There are more dealers in the same room!

:)

Or you could come to Nan Desu Kan in the fall and visit the one and only cel table and get Goldknight to wait on you!! :jump
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
Alex
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Alex »

Excellent feedback. I have been to AX since 2001. The first few years were very exciting. I got my first two Ninja Scroll cels from Anime Link and met Mandarake president and bought my first Misato cel from him....

The past two three years have been kind of uneventful. I think primary because I am a lot more selective on buying cels now. I came home empty handed last year and spent most of time watching cosplay outside.

Hope I have better luck this year.

Is there an AB gathering at the AX this year?
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

ROFL at Baakay. You better show this year chica. :P As for a beta gathering we've had one in the past, but it generally conflicted with the rubberslug gathering so basically the rubberslug gathering is the cel gathering....beta gathering....everything gathering. Dealers go to it too. :jump Fun Fun!!!!!
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Who is going to make me. .
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Alex
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Alex »

Goldknight wrote:so basically the rubberslug gathering is the cel gathering....beta gathering....everything gathering. Dealers go to it too
Then why not call it a cel gathering untless rubberslug.com is sponsoring the event.

What do you do in the gathering, share cel books, trade cels or just talk?