Any advice for a 1st time AX goer?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Any advice for a 1st time AX goer?

Post by klet »

Okay, so my friend and I will be attending our first AX this summer, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd especially like advice from those who have gone to one at Long Beach.

What are the best days to attend the con? Or should we just go all four days? What are the must see things, and how hard is it to get into them?

I'd also like some advice from people living in Cali or from those who have driven there before. We're thinking about driving from the Phoenix area to the con. When is the best time to arrive? I know Cali highways are the pits, so do you guys have any advice about how to minimize the stop-go factor? X|

Ummm, that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post again if I come up with any more questions. I just need some advice in written format so that I'll remember it.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Any advice for a 1st time AX goer?

Post by JWR »

klet wrote:Okay, so my friend and I will be attending our first AX this summer, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd especially like advice from those who have gone to one at Long Beach.
I'm going this year but have not been to it when it was held in Long Beach
klet wrote: What are the best days to attend the con? Or should we just go all four days? What are the must see things, and how hard is it to get into them?
The first day the dealer room opens expect a crowd , other than that It depends on what events they have. I don't think they have annouced the guest list yet.
klet wrote: I'd also like some advice from people living in Cali or from those who have driven there before. We're thinking about driving from the Phoenix area to the con. When is the best time to arrive? I know Cali highways are the pits, so do you guys have any advice about how to minimize the stop-go factor? X|
Most times there is about a 15 min window of clear sailing between 2:45 & 3:00 AM
klet wrote: Ummm, that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post again if I come up with any more questions. I just need some advice in written format so that I'll remember it.
One thing , don't be afraid to ask a dealer if they have something not displayed , a lot have quite a bit not displayed due to space.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Re: Any advice for a 1st time AX goer?

Post by EternityOfPain »

klet wrote:Okay, so my friend and I will be attending our first AX this summer, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd especially like advice from those who have gone to one at Long Beach.

What are the best days to attend the con? Or should we just go all four days? What are the must see things, and how hard is it to get into them?
Well since conventions are in general the same (I will be using Otakon as my reference Usually the best day is Friday-Saturday. The last day of the convention is generally the really slow, not many events are scheduled on this last day and the only really benifit of going would be possibility to get a bargain on a few things in the dealer room. As far as things to see not sure about AX but a few days to a week before Otakon they release a schedule that you can download and print out which includes all the events that occur at the con so you can budget your time and decide which events to go to prior to the actual convention. My first convention was 06 at Otakon and I wasn't overwhelmed. I think the main thing is just hang loose, have some fun, meet some cool people and of course get some killer deals 8). Have fun.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
MeganD.
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by MeganD. »

Hello Klet!

Coming from Phoenix, I'm assuming you'll be taking the 10 a majority of the way. I live north of Long Beach in the Santa Monica area, but the 10 can be brutal during peak commute hours and especially nutty on Fridays. The rush hour never seems to stop on a Friday, I suspect because many people either arrive to work late after Thurs night fun or leave early to start their weekend. If possible, try to make the trip on a Thursday. The traffic is much more predictable then. LA area rush hours Mon-Thurs are roughly between 8-10am and 5-7pm. If you do arrive on Friday, I'd suggest getting here either before 3 or after 7. (Perhaps someone who lives a little further south can help with the specifics about the Long Beach area.)

As for the Long Beach Convention Center, unfortunately I've never been. But, friends who've been attending AX for years tell me it's MUCH smaller than the Anaheim Convention Center which to me means even longer lines than last year's AX. (I'm going to stay positive though and hope they are a little more organized than last year regarding check-in and event seating...:)) I went all four days last year, and enjoyed every bit of it. There was a significant drop off in attendees the last two days. If you want to avoid crowds, those are the days to go. Of course, most of the "major" events take place the first or second day, so I suppose it's really up to what you want to see and what events are important to you.

Hope this helped at least a little bit! And if anyone has ANY suggestions on how to avoid an insane check-in line, well, it's not too much to say I will love you for all time.
/kis

-Megan
Last edited by MeganD. on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clever is as clever does.
-Ani Difranco
MeganD.
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by MeganD. »

JWR wrote:Most times there is about a 15 min window of clear sailing between 2:45 & 3:00 AM
Haha...So true.
Clever is as clever does.
-Ani Difranco
Golden Boy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Golden Boy »

Hi Klet,
I hope to see you at AX this year. I usually work for a dealer at AX, but this year, I'll just be milling around with my daughter. ^_^

I think my best piece of advice would be to bring a sun hat and comfortable shoes. As Megan stated above, Long Beach is much smaller than the Anaheim Convention center, so lines will most likely be long and slow.

I was at AX the last time it was at Long Beach. Unless things have changed the line to get into the convention will run outside. And since it will be in the middle of summer, a good hat will serve you well.

Also, all four days will be fun at AX. The first days, Friday and Saturday, have the best selection of items available. And the last day, Monday, has the best deals.

Hope that helps,
gb :wink:
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Last year I pre-reg'd and I got there on Thursday and got my badge holder with no line at all. Since this years flight arrives at 6pm, I don't know if I'll be able to make it to Long Beach in time to collect my badge holder before they close.

My friend that I went to AX with last year had one thing to say about the lines.
"My pride as a man prevents me from standing in lines that long."
I'm not a man, but I agree with him whole heartedly.

There were lines starting Before the event that happened before the Event. And that is only for the Normal Panels! The lines for other things were much worse.

Personally, I think that it is better to attend a smaller con where you can actually get into events with out wasting half your day in line for one thing. But AX is an experience in itself so any con-goer should try it once if they can.
Alex
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Alex »

I have been to Long Beach AX a few times.

1. The convention center parking is limited. If you're going to stay overnight, then I would suggest leave you car at the hotel. Else, calculate the arrival time either early or afternoon after some cars left. There are public parking near by too.
2. The dealer room is not huge (if they use the same main room) so I remember a long line at the door to limit the total number of people inside (up to 50 minutes wait on the first day in 2002). There is a way to bypass the door guard, take the elevator instead can get you to the door without waiting in line. My advise is once you get in, don't come out until you're done for the day or empty your pocket.
3. Do attend the night events (cosplay party, music concert, etc.), a lot of fun. Calculate the time to get in line so you won't miss out.

Have fun :)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

During those times I was sitting on concrete waiting in a line for tickets or to get into a building, I often wished a had a tiny small square cooler to sit on. :D

At any rate, prepare for the worst and assume you might be sitting on concrete, hard folding chairs and the hotel rug for many hours over the course of the convention. If you're extremely lucky your lines won't be that bad. Don't let your butt start to become sore or you'll be thinking about TB (tired butt) the rest of the convention. :(
JWR

Post by JWR »

One other sugestion to all.

Bring your own badge holder strap , The one's they gave out last year were a joke and many lost their badges and were forced to pay a fee to get another one.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Keep it coming!

Heh, though now I might have to go buy a hat. The only one I own is painted to look like Urahara's. Though, that might not be such a strange thing to be wearing while waiting to get into a con. :P
magster

Post by magster »

Bring cash- some dealers may charge extra if you use a credit card or may only accept cash. The ATM's generally have a surcharge.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Be sure to print out this Hina Ichigo Picture and cut out the black parts for use as a stencil.

Then buy atleast 10 cans of your favorite color of spraypaint so you can spraypaint this on the back of shirts, bald heads, etc.

But of course only on people you don't like.