MikomiCon and Anime Los Angeles

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

MikomiCon and Anime Los Angeles

Post by Keropi »

Has anyone heard anything about these two Los Angeles area conventions?

MikomiCon:
http://www.animecons.com/events/info.shtml/1166

Anime Los Angeles:
http://www.animecons.com/events/info.shtml/1233

An unusual number of newer workers at my workplace turned out to be anime fans.

Whatever happened to that anime convention that was in the Lancaster California region? Or did they already have their convention this year and so that's why it's not showing up on AnimeCons.com?:

http://www.animecons.com/events/
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I have not attended either. The one in Burbank costs $35 but is limited to only 2500 people so I doubt any dealers of concequence will attend. I'm not into cos-play which seems to be the main interest of these con's.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

JWR wrote:I have not attended either. The one in Burbank costs $35 but is limited to only 2500 people so I doubt any dealers of concequence will attend. I'm not into cos-play which seems to be the main interest of these con's.
That's true, but these new anime fans at my workplace have made me think about why I used to attend Anime Expo in the first place (in 1998-2002):

1. To attend the cel collectors meeting since I've only run into one collector that I knew outside of AX.
2. To buy cels from the cel dealer's tables.
3. To have fun with the people I attended the convention with.
4. To enjoy the Fund Raising Auction and to possibly bid on something.
5. To watch the latest unseen fansubs with a large crowd in the fansub room.
6. To watch recently debuted anime on a big screen.
7. To talk with other anime fans because I rarely ran across any of them in real-life.
8. To get a chance at winning an autograph or sketch from a guest panel.
9. To see the non-cel items being sold in the Dealers Room.
10. To attend the guest and company panels.
11. To see the cosplayers.
12. To see the Masquerade.
13. To enjoy my vacation off from work.

But...going to somewhere less crowded and enjoying my vacation may trump all the other reasons these days because of the "Less Stress" reason. :)

If I hear that Anime Expo's registration lines are not too long for two years in a row, that'll give me a reason to go there again just so long as:

1. July the Fourth doesn't fall on the wrong day during the AX scheduled dates.
2. I can find at least one person to attend AX with. It's too boring just to go by myself.

Unfortunately something always seems to go wrong with one of the three factors however. :(
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Do you like the Simpsons?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)