AX Report

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

AX Report

Post by JWR »

Here’s a recap.

My wife Maria & I attended AX from the Saturday thru Monday. We did not see much of the actual con since we were quite busy helping Curt (Asylum Anime) with his booth.

Craig (Rallihir) put on the cel panel and did a great job. It seems though some missed it cause the AX info desk and workers did not know that the panel had been moved from the Sunday time printed in the program. We got up there in time to share a few of my cels & comic art then left to set up the Slugfest dinner.

The gathering was quite nice and everyone had an enjoyable time.
The restaurant had nice food and we had the room to ourselves to share what we brought.
I brought a large chunk of my gallery and let all get an up close look.

The only problem during the evening involved a few “extra charges” that had not been told to me when I set up the dinner including them charging a 20% tip for a buffet and a per person charge for dinner and another for drinks whether you ordered one or not.
Several people stepped in and helped me make up the shortfall which shows just how great a community we have here on RS & Beta.

I was able to make quite a few nice purchases from Curt , Midori & Dave (Nichibei) which I’ll scan soon though one AMG one I will have to take a pic of for it’s huge.

Next years AX will be at the Los Angeles Convention center next to the Staples center. I have been there and it’s 4 times larger than Anaheim but I’m not fond of the neighborhood. From what I was told AX was later renewing on the Anaheim site and another jumped in and signed a 10 year lease for it.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Thanks for everything you did to get Slugfest going, Joe. I know I had a great time, and it seemed everyone else did as well.

Glad to hear about AX going to LA instead of Long Beach next year. The two years it has been in LBC were the worst ones.

It was great meeting everyone and sharing stories and cels.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

I probably saw you Sunday at Curts' booth then =)

Glad you were able to pick up some good cels, the huge AMG one is amazing! /lv
Silvrdrago
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Silvrdrago »

I had alot of fun at AX, looking forward to AX next year. Made alot of nice purchases, some i've posted already the better stuff i'm still waiting on. Thanks agian for your work Joe. -Chris
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I had a great time seeing everyone and I have to say the highlight was playing pool with Shoichi and Nida. :rollin :rollin That was hilarious. :rollin The whole reason for my going is to see everyone. *HUGS* :ghug:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I had a nice time as well at Slugfest. I just felt bad I kept yawning... I don't handle hot weather that well...

And I forgot to drop off the Japanese snackies that I brought for everyone...so, I guess I'll have to send some out around Christmastime X|

But everyone brought some really nice stuff and seeing everyone's recent purchases was nice. I'd love to see the two men who were sitting at my table open a gallery since they both had really great stuff. It was a night of "Oh, so that's where that cel/douga went!" exclamations.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Thats okay I forget things all the time.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Cloud wrote:Thats okay I forget things all the time.
Thanks Cloud. You sure know how to make a woman feel good. :^^:

...Despite the fact that your age on your profile lists you at 4.
Last edited by cutiebunny on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Is this a joke?
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Goldknight wrote:I had a great time seeing everyone and I have to say the highlight was playing pool with Shoichi and Nida. :rollin :rollin That was hilarious. :rollin The whole reason for my going is to see everyone. *HUGS* :ghug:
Sorry about grabbin your balls. :D
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I'll just have to repeat what everyone so far has said. It was a lot of fun. I am glad I got to meet so many other collectors in person. Thank you so much JWR for all your work in arranging it.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

You are so naughty BH. :rollin :rollin
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: AX Report

Post by Keropi »

JWR wrote:Craig (Rallihir) put on the cel panel and did a great job. It seems though some missed it cause the AX info desk and workers did not know that the panel had been moved from the Sunday time printed in the program. We got up there in time to share a few of my cels & comic art then left to set up the Slugfest dinner.
When I checked the Anime Expo website at 2:30PM Friday June 29th it said:

Saturday 6:00 PM Anime Cel Collector's Panel

and

Sunday 7:00 PM Anime Cel Collector's Panel

I couldn't figure out what was going on there. /hmm

I thought maybe you were going to have two Cel Panels. :) Glad to hear it went well.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: AX Report

Post by rallihir »

Keropi wrote:
JWR wrote:Craig (Rallihir) put on the cel panel and did a great job. It seems though some missed it cause the AX info desk and workers did not know that the panel had been moved from the Sunday time printed in the program. We got up there in time to share a few of my cels & comic art then left to set up the Slugfest dinner.
When I checked the Anime Expo website at 2:30PM Friday June 29th it said:

Saturday 6:00 PM Anime Cel Collector's Panel

and

Sunday 7:00 PM Anime Cel Collector's Panel

I couldn't figure out what was going on there. /hmm

I thought maybe you were going to have two Cel Panels. :) Glad to hear it went well.
Somehow, the AX staff did not get the update into the program in time. Originally, they scheduled the cel panel for Sunday, but when they confirmed that time with me, I told them I needed Saturday (which was the originally requested time!) because I was only going to be at AX for one day. So, they moved the cel panel to Saturday because there was a cancellation in the 6-7 timeslot. At least there was good turnout at the cel panel. It was nice to see everyone again including some new people.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Nice to see everyone again including some new people too.
-I, Robot (Asimov)