Looking for Cons near me, CA (USA)

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Looking for Cons near me, CA (USA)

Post by moonrabitt »

After the massive line from AX07 (I did not get enough time to buy cels or stuff for that matter) So I am looking for cons that are coming up.

So do you guys know of any cons? The only ones I know about are AX and PMX. I'm generally looking for cons close to me, so in the State of California, or even Nevada, Las Vegas.(Or even a state away). Cons that have some cels would be preffered :wink:
-thanks
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Though not an anime convention per se, you may want to check out Comic-con in San Diego. They are one of the largest cartoon/comic related conventions in the United States. There is usually good representation by anime companies. I'm not sure of the dates, but it usually takes place very close to AX. The other large California convention is Fanime in San Jose. It is on the Memorial Day weekend.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Check this site for all your convention queries.
http://www.animecons.com/

But there is an Anime Vegas. It is on Sep 1-3 this year.
And on the front page of that site I see that there is a Sac-Anime in Sacramento this coming weekend.

Small cons can be the most satisfying in my opinion, so it's definitely worth taking the chance to check it out.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

Thanks rallihir, I'll take a look at the times of both of those ^_^

Thanks miz ducky. I want to go to the Vegas one, I can stop by and see the gigant coke bottle on my way there ^_^
When you say "small con" how small is it? Smaller than PMX? A gathering of 120 people?
-thanks again
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

mmm... http://www.aodsf.org/ is coming up soon (August 25th), I don't know if any cel dealers will show up, but if there's a swap meet, I'll bet there'll be a couple of people with personal collections they'll be thinning out.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

moonrabitt wrote:When you say "small con" how small is it? Smaller than PMX? A gathering of 120 people?
-thanks again
I don't know how big it is. I don't live in CA so I don't know anything about the shows other than AX.

Since AX is the largest, then all others are small in comparison.

The one in Sacramento is only a 2 day show, so I'm guessing that its on the small side. But, since CA has a pretty large population of anime fans, then it'll probably still draw a decent crowd.

I'm guessing. If you want more info on a particular convention, you should join their message board. You can get a lot of information by just reading or you could post your questions.
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

The ones that I am aware of in California are

AX, PMX, Fanime, San Diego Comic Con (American and Japanese combined) and Yaoi Con.
eddiefb3
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by eddiefb3 »

Theres a Local Con here in Fresno California called Ani-Jam. Happening mid August i believe. http://www.ani-jam.com

I dont know if there will be cels there(hoping). But it should be a nice small convention. I think it said on their website around 400 people showed up, and they only expected around 200 or so.
This world is not beautiful ~ therefore it is.

Kino no Tabi book 1
Maiko
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Maiko »

moonrabitt wrote:When you say "small con" how small is it? Smaller than PMX? A gathering of 120 people?
-thanks again
The one in Sacramento is only a 2 day show, so I'm guessing that its on the small side. But, since CA has a pretty large population of anime fans, then it'll probably still draw a decent crowd.
[/quote]

The show in Sacramento occurs about 6 times a year- my friend owns an anime/comic store in Sacramento, so I usually run his table for him at the Sac con while he stays at the store so that he doesn't have to close down shop for those two days. The Sac Anime con isn't very large, and you'll get a huge amount of Marvel/DC Comic Dealers pusing their wares. There is no particular cel Dealer- only one table typically sells them, and they're not very high quality/highly popular shows, as they're sold by a basic Western Comic Shop owner, who doesn't particularly deal in and/or collect cels in the first place.

For the most part, there isn't anything there that you won't be able to find on ebay or Y!JP- and certainly you won't pay less. The only real highlight is that several of the larger Anime Goods dealers from San Francisco's Japan Town drive out and set up tables. They usually have the best and most diverse selection of any of the Dealers.

There is a small cosplay contest, and an art contest, but the art contest is poorly organized and operated, as two years ago I got into a huge fight with that particular year's current curator over it. LOL. I think Tokyopop was sorry they set up their table next to ours, that year. LOL. Either that, or it was wildly entertaining for them ^_~x LOL- either way, I got my way as a new person has since been put in charge of the contests, and they are run in a much fairer, much more professional manner.

Anyway, the Sac Con is never really that big, and in recent years it has moved out of Sunrise Mall to the Scottish Rite Center, which is directly in the Capital City as opposed to it's original location in the Birdcage suburb. Even if you miss it this weekend- it will be back again within a couple of months.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

:) Thanks again to all that have taken the time to help me with finding the cons.

They all sound very interesting and if I can make it to and from the cons on my weekenddays (because I have summer school the other days) I shall go.

The only real highlight is that several of the larger Anime Goods dealers from San Francisco's Japan Town drive out and set up tables. They usually have the best and most diverse selection of any of the Dealers.
SO this is in Sacramento?mmm...I hope I can go to this one...

So if anyone hears of any other ones or on news don't forget to post, your wise words are appreciated :wink:
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Are there no exceptions?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)