WAY early but . . . AX2008?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

WAY early but . . . AX2008?

Post by duotrouble »

So is anyone thinking about going to AX2008? I've been considering it but I'd really like to know if people think it's worth going to this year since it's in LA. Their website currently isn't very helpful for people and events as it's still months off.

I'm just trying to plan my year out. 8)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I will go this year if it fits into my schedule. I couldn't go in 2007 and was pretty bummed, so I'm trying my hardest to attend this year. Location doesn't really matter to me as much as the guest list. Part of the reason I didn't attend '07 was the fact that I am not a j-rock fan.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

I'm crossing my fingers and toes
since I couldn't go last year due to my wedding
being the same weekend lol
:rollin

But I'm *really* keen on trying to make it this
time around.
However, it depends on a future-move to a
new house.
:x :evil: :P

If its too close to the AX date then :bawl
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I plan on trying to make it although I'm sure I'll be a bit late due to work as usual. :x I think from what I heard it'll be in LA for several more years to come. :?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I don't have anything against it being in LA. I just heard the venue was smaller than Anaheim. It's probably more expensive for hotels too. :roll:

Ah well, it's my favorite post holiday activity - a fresh batch of vacation days to plot out. :^^: Right now, I'm about 80% sure I'm going.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I will be going. :)
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I think that it is unlikely that I will attend AX in 2008.

If you look at the area that the conv center is located you will see that there is only one small hotel in the area. The streets at night are dangerous.

Parking is very very expensive, and you will could have to pay parking twice if you ever leave to go get something to eat. There is no food in the area.

So...

1. Your hotel will most likely be at a far enough distance that you will need to have motorized transportation to the conv center.

2. If you drive you will be paying an arm and a leg to park.

3. You will most likely need to leave the area to get something to eat and then have to pay parking again when you come back to the conv center.

If 4 attendees are sharing a vehicle then, you better hope that they can accomodate over 10,000 vehicles.

They were better off in Long Beach. The two that I attended in 2006 and 2007 were largely unimpressive, and disorganized. It's not worth it to go through all the trouble to be in downtown LA.
Carla
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Carla »

It sounds like a zoo :P

I wish I could go :l When is it this year???
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

It's always on a four day period surrounding the 4th of July.

This year it is 3-6 July, I believe.

Frankly, I think that they should suck it up and change their dates, and go back to Anaheim.

(they can't have July 4th in Anaheim any more due to another show taking up the whole conv center for the next 10 years.)
Carla
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Carla »

Thanks miz ducky :)

But :puzzled WHAT??? It's over the 4th July weekend that CRAZY!!! 8O

Everyone will be out I would HATE to see the traffic X|

and the hotels I bet there all ready booked :l

The only reason why I would want to go is of course to get more cels and sketchs :D
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

duotrouble wrote:I don't have anything against it being in LA. I just heard the venue was smaller than Anaheim. It's probably more expensive for hotels too.
Actually, it will be held in the West and South Hall of the L.A. Convention Center which is basically where most of E3 used to be held before last year and should be more than enough room. It's the walk in-between halls that's a killer. X|

As far as hotel prices, I believe they're at least comparable to Anaheim - and there's a lot of 'em:

http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/loca ... A/usa/445/

Good news: No Dizzyland annoyances and no Long Beach smell and parking should actually not be a concern. I never had a problem finding something close (and for free) when I attended E3 prior to last year and it was nothing short of sheer madness during that event. Also, downtown's a little better than it used to be.

Bad news: That being said, it's still downtown Los Angeles. Traffic suuucks - especially in the summertime. If you do decide to come, I'd forgo participating in any Cosplay and instead wear as comfortable clothing and walking shoes as you own. The walk in-between halls includes quite a little trek outside in the sunshine - and it's going to be hot.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

As far as the LA Convention center . It is about 3 times larger than the one in Anahiem and AX will most likely only use as Transmet stated only 2 of the halls so you will not have the cramped space of Long Beach.

I would hope that AX now that they are using that location would make some arrangement with a bus company to provide shuttle service from the local hotels like what Comic-con does in San Diego but I have no faith that those running this con are smart enough.

My wife Maria & I will be there helping Curt and I have been looking for a place for our 4th annual Beta/RS Slugfest cel gathering.

If enough would be interested , I will look into the cost of hiring a shuttle bus to take those that would want to attend the dinner then back to convention center & hotels.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I haven't a clue at this point. It seems like I can't do both AX and Comic-Con in the same month. However, if my prep gets bought, I just might be able to afford it(extra $600 a month). Last year, I was limited to only one day because I was finishing my masters degree(final paper was due that following monday). This time, I'll be staying the whole weekend. My priority this year is Comic-Con. I've never gone, and last year I was too drained from school to go. This year, I am definitely there.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

transmet wrote:- and it's going to be hot.
:crackup Okay! That's funny to me! :crackup I was told the same thing when I went in 2005. That was my first time ever to LA. I nearly froze to death it was so cold (75-80). I live in the deep south with July temps in the humid 90s. I found LA to be so so so dry. I guess it's just all about what you're used to. :wink:

Hey, Carla, here's their website. It looks like they've added since I went there a couple of days ago - not much though. 8O

http://www.anime-expo.org/
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

duotrouble wrote:
transmet wrote:- and it's going to be hot.
:crackup Okay! That's funny to me! :crackup I was told the same thing when I went in 2005. That was my first time ever to LA. I nearly froze to death it was so cold (75-80). I live in the deep south with July temps in the humid 90s. ]

LMAO!!!
:hitting:
Same here Erin!
:rollin

I actually had to go out to the souvenir shop next door and BUY a fleece
hoodie I was so damn cold.
8O

Olivia, Brian, and Joe can attest! I had to wear my Kiba hoodie
at the Rubberslug fest because I was so cold and only brought
sleeveless apparel for going out since I was told the weather was
comparable to Florida's.
yea right :tongue :cucu