Slugfest AX 2008 survey

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.

Which would you like

Poll ended at Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am

A nice close restuarant that would cost $50 a person
50%
A nice restuarant I would have to travel further to but cheaper.
33%
Find the nearest Mc Donalds
17%

Total votes: 18

JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Slugfest AX 2008 survey

Post by JWR »

Hi All,

I have been looking into places to hold our RS/Beta/cel collectors gathering known as Slugfest 2008 to be held in conjunction with Anime Expo 2008 in downtown Los Angeles.

I do need some input from those that are considering attending as to the price range and distance you would be willing to put up with for such an event.

Downtown restuarants are nice with private rooms but not what I would consider cheap with so far an average price of $50 a head for a 3 course buffet ($35 food + Tax + Tip) Drinks extra. There are several within a mile or two of the convention center.

There are places further out away from downtown but would require carpools or rentacars.

So I ask what is your preference.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Kaona
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Kaona »

You might look in the Little Tokyo area for a gathering spot. It is a few miles from the Convention Center. The Little Tokyo Business Association has a list of area restaurants and a link for the Japanese American Community and Cultural Center (rooms for rent and maybe some suggestions?).
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Well, frankly, I think something close by is going to be one of the only options, unless people want to step up and offer rides. You might want to see how many people can drive before looking into anything farther away.

If it ends up being $50 a person, can people come in to talk and not eat? I know there's no way in heck I'd be willing or able to spend $50 on a single meal. :? Of course, I'm not sure if I'll be attending AX yet.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I am fine with any of the above.

I will be driving up from San Diego so I will have transportation. I don't mind giving a ride to the dinner, but I own a pick-up so I can only take one (two if we squish in).
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I would prefer somewhere that we can guarantee space. Going to somewhere close like McDonald's means that it will be crawling with other con-goers.
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by purple-plum »

I would actually prefer something expensive and close...only because I wont have a car to get anywhere...if theres people willing to give me a ride (and my sister) then i wouldnt mind going somewhere else...if we do go to mc donalds im going to have to pass...i dont particularly want to eat there after working all day

`kt
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

The closer the better in my opinion. I am not too worried about cost if it's a really good meal. I love good food.

I just really don't want to have to travel to get there if it can be avoided.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

I'm not sure If I can go (But I hope I can!!!)
I don't mind...As long as the place is not in a bad neighborhood..I hear that the Expo is near some shady place.....is that true???
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Joe,

Any place will be fine as long as we are able to have sufficient room to discuss cels, anime, and the state of the economy. As for food, nearly anything will do, most of us are not too picky. (I think...) I suspect that all of us are going to have cars. Do you know if the LA convention center is going to have in-and-out parking privileges? If you need any help researching anything let me know.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
JWR

Post by JWR »

I have been doing a lot of checking via internet as well as a couple of scouting trips to view the area.

I do agree that having room to mingle and share out collections in decent lighting is what I would like to see. Actually if I can match last years place without the hassle of having to scramble to cover overboard hidden charges such as a 30% tip and a per person fees for room use and additonal per person fees for bar service reguardless if anyone used it or not.

here's some an examples of ones I found that's within a mile of the con site(now this is just an examples not set in stone) http://www.engineco.com/ inside sitdown
http://www.bbc2go.com/ outside terrace
http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=36 High $$$
Last edited by JWR on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

If you do a weekend lunch, you could use the Dash (10am-5pm weekends) for a quarter a ride to increase your options.
(http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes ... wn_we.html)
JWR

Post by JWR »

GuyvarIII wrote:If you do a weekend lunch, you could use the Dash (10am-5pm weekends) for a quarter a ride to increase your options.
(http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes ... wn_we.html)
I think for an organized event a lunch would not work (not to say groups could not get together on their own) due to a lot will be going to events , standing in lines or like Maria & myself working in the dealer room.
We want to set it up to get the most that want to attend.
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

I think the Palm link you want is this one:

http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=36

One block from the Staples Center, rather than the one on Santa Monica in West Hollywood.
JWR

Post by JWR »

irmgaard wrote:I think the Palm link you want is this one:

http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=36

One block from the Staples Center, rather than the one on Santa Monica in West Hollywood.
Thanks link changed
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I think [quoteirmgaard]he or she think the Palm link you want is a lot of things.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)