Anyone interested in a panel at AnimeNEXT (June 11-14)?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Anyone interested in a panel at AnimeNEXT (June 11-14)?

Post by sensei »

I've been approached by one of the organizers of AnimeNEXT with a request to organize a panel, perhaps two, on topics relating to animation art. Is anyone interested in participating?

Some background: AnimeNEXT is a growing con to be held June 11-14 this year at the Garden State Exhibit Center in Somerset, NJ. The location is located about midway between New York City and Philadelphia, PA, and so is not too far from the usual Otakon corridor. While smaller than the more visible con, it is growing rapidly, and the new location is expected to lead to a jump in participation. Information on the event can be found at the AnimeNEXT home page.

We could do a variety of things, ranging from the usual "Animation Art Collecting for Newbies" to something a little more sophisticated, such as "So now you've won it, now what are you going to do with it?" which could cover conservation, framing, organizing, and resale tips. Another idea might focus on the issue of online gallery design, with information on scanning, annotating, website design, and HTML language for dummies.

Obviously, we could manage an informal "Invasion of the Betarians" cel sharing event to go with the event. My cels haven't been out in public since the Community Day at our campus, when a bunch of my Tennimon cels were gently but lovingly patted by a host of fascinated preschoolers.

Any takers? Any good ideas? The panels are only now being put together, but I'd like to move ahead while I have a little time.
logorzat
Kamisama - God

Post by logorzat »

I would love to do a cel sharing event. It is going to be my first convention and I can't wait to show off my cels and finally meet some of you guys.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Any interest? My contact has suggested that I propose a panel specifically for showing off cels or "to get [Sensei's] opinion on them. "

AnimeNEXT Panel Proposal: Free opinions on cel collections. logorzat will bring her cels to the panel room, and sensei will say that he thinks there sucky, logorzat will say the same of sensei's, hissies and insult-screaming to follow, all welcome to participate.

Or ... ? I'm happy to put in for the usual "Cel collecting 101" idea with sharing and socializing to follow (hissies and insults tolerated within reason). But I'd really like to do something a little more advanced, given that the con is drawing from a pretty well-informed area that's rife with sharp curators.

PS, don't worry, logozrat, I don't think your cels are sucky, and I really appreciate your interest. Let's see if we can get this to work and we can all get to know some collectors (and cels) up close and personal.
logorzat
Kamisama - God

Post by logorzat »

LOL! I don't think your cels are sucky either. Whatever you would like to do I would love to be involved in. :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

The proposal form for panels is now live on the AnimeNEXT site, so I'm going to have a go over the weekend or early next week. Here's what planning to propose:

1. Beyond the EvilBay: How to build a Japanese animation art collection. I'd like to talk about getting access to Japan-side auctions like YJ, Anicyo, and Mandarake, and the practicalities of setting up deputy service accounts, doing searches on Japanese auction sites, using translation engines, and learning how to recognize "fan cel" and "photocopy" in Japanese descriptions. (Plus "key cel," "matching background," "original handwritten sketch" and other useful idioms)

2. Cels Just Wanna Be Seen: Designing and Maintaining an Online Animation Art Gallery. I'd like to start with newbie basics on registering a Rubberslug gallery account, then talk about some of the issues of how to scan and display items from your collection: copy bg, vs. photoshopped replacement bg vs. art-paper vs. scanner lid backgrounds, plus organization, annotation (none/a little/a lot), and extras. If I can, I'd like a participant who has designed his or her original gallery outside of RS. Otherwise, I'll play it safe and talk about creative things that can be done within this site's limitations.

Any takers for panelists? You get a rebate of $10 on your con registration for each panel you participate in, so this would be a good chance for people who have already registered to knock $20 off their costs. And in the process you'll do your part in the fight against professorial motormouth.

Let me know, either here or by PM. Thanks.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Time to bring in more artwork collectors than we're losing. :D

Or at least...more production artwork collectors that aren't going to be going after the same things I might. :^^:

Although....I don't think the economy is helping the situation.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rule one:

Don't go after the same stuff as Keropi.

Rule two:

Unless you know you have the money in your account.

Rule three:

And a really good security system.

Actually, one of the points I'll make is one I've personally found useful: start by developing a taste for what you like in cels/sketches as art objects, not just as links to a series you love to watch. (Though this is usually the best way to start collecting.) Then, as you go, look for series that exemplify good art but may not be as avidly collected as "the favorites." That way you can build a visually impressive collection, learn a lot about anime you initially didn't know existed, and stay out of Keropi's way.

RS could really use a second Gegege no Kitaro collector.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Lol...yeah, it's always a good rule of thumb to limit yourself until you know that you can control your spending. It's difficult for most newer collectors to control their spending. After your collection grows, it'll probably become easier to control your spending....even though that might takes years to accomplish. :)

Learning about new anime is an enjoyable way to spring off from your cel/sketch collecting hobby. As you mature as a collector you can become more mellow: :pimp

Then you won't have to do this :FU this :bwall this /wah or this :bawl as much. Some people will always want to :FU though. :shrug

Just don't become so mellow as a collector that you feel like :sleep3 because that could lead to :run
sensei

Post by sensei »

A third proposed panel will cover effective use of emoticons on message boards, along with a list of basic tips on what to avoid.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Just a reminder I'm hosting the two panels at AnimeNext (Garden State Exhibit Center, Somerset, NJ) this week.

Beyond the evilBay: Building an Animation Art collection: Friday at noon (Panel 4)
Desigining and maintaining an online Animation Art gallery: Sunday at 11 AM (Panel 2)

The second will be co-hosted by myself and Starfighter of Moon Dreams.

I'm bringing a bunch of cels and sketches that haven't gotten out in a while. Hope to see some of you there. I didn't have a chance to do a costume (thanks to my wife's knee surgery and the usual icky bureaucracy caused by the health care system) but I'll be easy to spot in a succession of "Sensei's Anime Gallery" t-shirts.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Be sure to designate someone to take pictures of the Panel Babes wearing Sensei T-shirts. :D

I would like to see those.