Anime-Next 2009

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Anime-Next 2009

Post by Starfighter »

Hello Guys,

Well this morning I was part of the panal set up by Sensei rom Rubberslug. The panal was called Designing & Maintaining an Online Art Gallery. It was awesome meeting Sensei and his daughter. What passion and vigor he has for this hobby. He explained so much about the process of starting a gallery and how to take care of the cels once you get them . What can I say it was the highlight of the whole event for me . Anime-Next was a very nice con but there was really nothing there that interested me . No Cels. But the chance to meet sensei was a chance I couldn't pass up his gallery is second to none. Looking forward to seeing more great cels from him and his daughter.
Last edited by Starfighter on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm glad to hear that everything went fantastically at Sensei's presentation. Hopefully we'll be seeing a few new galleries at RS soon :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Sensei awakens groggily from uneasy dreams of the New Jersey Turnpike, feeds the cat, checks the new YJ auctions, and thinks about putting all the cel books back where they belong...

It was a good con, and I thank Frank for his willingness to come and share his own perspective on collecting and the pitfalls thereof. He was articulate, ready to mix it up with the audience over the issue of "who really owns these images" (one of the attendees had some experience with copyright matters). Even the tech staff who helped me set up said that he'd come by the room before the panel and impressed everyone as being fired up by the chance to talk about a great love.

I wished we'd had more time to pass around cel books and look at eye candy, but the panel had a decent bunch of people who seemed genuinely interested in the idea of "actually possessing" a moment in a favorite anime. (I did the Mary Douglas bit about how collecting unique objects was intrinsically different from collecting rare, desirable, but mass-produced things.) The issue of who owns the proprietary rights (e.g., the right to sell copies of cels on eBay or make and market t-shirts) got discussed at more length than how to set up a gallery -- but that was an issue that obviously hit a nerve with the crowd we got. Frank and I held our own, though.

The earlier panel, on how to keep from making an absolute fool of yourself by bidding on Yahoo Japan despite being functionally illiterate in Japanese, was also good, despite being at an early hour. The Rayearth cels especially appreciated being ogled at.

I was sorry that Curt didn't bring any cel books to AnimeNext, and my snobby collector's soul wasn't entranced by any of the posters his both had. I did get a wonderful set of fox ears, which I insisted on wearing for the rest of the con, including the Sunday panel.

I especially liked how if you wore the cap backwards the fox ears became Pokemon ears.

CLAMP marchandizing was everywhere -- even I left with a really tough Tsubasa laptop bag -- though the word from the street was that Code Geass was over-rated. Narutards were omnipresent, along with lots of samurais and Bleached-out people with ridiculously oversized weapons. There was one really good Princess Tutu cosplayer who got a lot of attention, and a whole consortium of Ouran Host Club people who had the school uniform down to the last detail.

The new Gonzo series Romeo x Juliet (complete with rethought Juliet who, disguised as a man, wanders ronin-style as "The Red Whirlwind," avenging wrongs with daredevil swordplay throughout a Verona corrupted by unimaginable evil -- but partially redeemed by unspeakably adorable dragon-steeds) got a lot of attention and sold a bunch of copies, including one to me. Even Sensei's anime-hating wife wants to watch this one.

The Keropi lookalike contest in wet "Sensei's Anime Gallery" t-shirts also got a decent crowd, though some of the contestants had a bit too much love handle for my taste and the winner was, unless I'm mistaken, genetically enhanced.

A good time had by all. Otakon take heed.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I didn't see this until now. :(

Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe a new collector from there will post here one of these days. I hope the other conventions went just as well. Unfortunately there's little way of knowing these days unless if you were actually there.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Sensei your're my HERO! :love:
such a cool post 8)
Thanks for taking the time