USA Cons

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

USA Cons

Post by usamamo »

Ok, so I wanted to make a trip to the US next year to have a look at one of the big anime conventions. But seeing as I have no idea about any of them I was just wondering which one would be the best to go and see.
And also, where abouts do you buy anime stuff over there too? I can not go all the way over there and not buy anime :P

Thanks in advance
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I've attended cons all over the country (east coast to west coast), but the best time I ever had was at Anime Expo, in California. A super fun and friendly convention, with amazing guests of honor.

Do you have a particular time of year that you would be visiting the USA? Most of our conventions occur in the summer months (June through August).
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Well The largest Anime only con is Anime Expo (Los Angeles California West coast) followed by Otakon (Baltimore Maryland East coast).

Largest con in the USA (comic/anime/tv/movies) Comic-con International (San Diego California west coast)

Other smaller but great cons

Sakura-con (Seattle Northern West Coast)

A-kon (Austin Texas Central USA)

You can google these con's for more info.

I'm sure others should have others.

Feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in on more detail.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

I was not looking at any particular dates to travel yet, I was going to work around the conventions. Anime Expo looks like fun, might be a bit of a problem leaving work at that particular time though :( Might have to try for Otakon and Comic Con.
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

US anime cons are year long. Any month of the year you can find a con to go to. Remember that your summer is our winter. :wink: Here's a listing of the cons by area and dates. So just decide what else you want to do while you're in the US and pick a con. :)

http://www.animecons.com/events/state.shtml/002

Here's a listing of the top 10 US anime cons in 2008.

1. Anime Expo - Los Angeles, California: 43,000 estimated warm bodies
2. Otakon - Baltimore, Maryland: 26,394 paid attendees
3. New York Anime Festival - New York City: 18,399 warm bodies
4. A-Kon - Dallas, Texas: 15,000 estimated paid attendees
5. Sakura-Con - Seattle, Washington: 13,600 estimated paid attendees
6. Anime Boston - Boston, Massachussetts: 14,339 warm bodies (13,248 paid attendees)
7. Anime Central - Chicago, Illinois: 13,900 estimated warm bodies
8. Anime North - Toronto, Ontario: 13,300 estimated warm bodies
9. FanimeCon - San Jose, California: 13,000 estimated warm bodies
10. Anime Weekend Atlanta - Atlanta, Georgia: 11,101 paid attendees
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

Okay, so this is going to require some hard thinking. There is too many 8O Thanks for that list, that helps heaps. I think once I get over my japan trip I will have to start seriously thinking about this one.

And what are the best places to buy anime stuff other than cons?