Katsucon: Feb. 12-14 in Washington, DC

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Katsucon: Feb. 12-14 in Washington, DC

Post by ReiTheJelly »

KATSUCON 16 will be held February 12 - 14, 2010 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in Washington, DC

I HAVE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR GROUP AT MCCORMICK & SCHMICK'S FOR 11:30am ON FRIDAY. BECAUSE IT IS VALENTINE'S DAY WEEKEND, I WAS REQUIRED TO USE MY CREDIT CARD TO HOLD THE RESERVATION. I NEED TO KNOW WHO CAN COME AND WHO CANNOT.
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Alas, that week I'll be in New England for a Val's Day event planned by my daughter; otherwise I could be tempted to risk the Bay Bridge. Gomen: it's been too long since the last one I was able to go to.
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

I'm not attending the convention but I'd be up for a cel meeting. 8)
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

I am not sure at this time if I can go or not. It's only a little over 2 hrs from me. I'll try to go. ^_^
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I'll most definitely be there, and staying at the hotel Thursday night-Sunday morning.
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

Same as killua.

It'll be a good chance for me to check out the area too since I haven't been since it opened.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Great! :) As soon as we get a better count, I can make reservations somewhere. For those of you not attending the convention, is there a particular day/time that works best? Since y'all probably have work, is dinner the most ideal?

This restaurant seems to be fairly nice, while still having a toned-down feel and actually has good reviews (unlike many of the other restaurants nearby).
McCormick & Schmick's lunch menu
McCormick & Schmick's dinner menu

Their menus appear to be on a day-to-day basis, but this should give folks the gist of what they serve. Their lunch menu (10 items under $10) sounds really good, but I imagine that once the con gets going this place will be PACKED with con-goers on Friday and Saturday.

Regardless of which restaurant we pick, in order to avoid some of the crowds, maybe Thursday for dinner would be ideal? Most people won't show up to the convention until Friday or Saturday, so it shouldn't be nearly so crowded on Thursday. Or maybe lunch on Sunday?

I'll be staying at the Gaylord from Thursday afternoon through Monday morning.
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

I've never heard anything bad about McCormick & Schmick's. Since it's Valentine's Day weekend, probably want to get the reservations in early.

I don't have a time preference, since that Friday is my alternate day off. If it's dinner on Thursday or Friday, people just might need to pad their drive time due to rush hour(s) on the Beltway.

Thanks for organizing rei!
Killua

Post by Killua »

I can't due Thursday night but can do anything Friday-Sunday. McCormick and Shmick's might be too expensive for everyone for dinner maybe. Lunch would be fine there, but are there any alternates?
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Killua wrote:I can't due Thursday night but can do anything Friday-Sunday. McCormick and Shmick's might be too expensive for everyone for dinner maybe. Lunch would be fine there, but are there any alternates?
There are no cheap restaurants in the area, according to google maps. The most reasonable one is this place's lunch menu, or a Mexican restaurant which got like 5 thumbs down.

If anyone in the area knows of a better place to eat, I'm all ears. :) :) :)

WOULD FRIDAY AT LUNCH WORK FOR MOST PEOPLE?
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

How far from the convention center is the restaurant? I’ll be running around in cosplay most of the time, not sure I want to venture too far from the con center….

Wouldn’t be a problem to bring my significant other along would it?
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Sky Rat wrote:How far from the convention center is the restaurant? I’ll be running around in cosplay most of the time, not sure I want to venture too far from the con center….

Wouldn’t be a problem to bring my significant other along would it?
According to google maps, the restaurant is approximately one block from the convention center. And you certainly can bring anyone you wish. I know I've dragged somewhat disinterested parties along with me in the past. :D :D

I'm a cosplayer, too, so I completely understand the desire to not go prancing about town in your costume. Or having to walk insane distances. Although I do remember one previous Katsucon when I did go out to a restaurant quite far from the convention. I was still in costume (Marie Antoinette from Rose of Versailles) and some little girl asked me if I was a real princess. It was pretty funny. And adorable.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

So...how many votes for Friday at lunch?
Killua

Post by Killua »

That is good for me. :)
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

That will probably work for me....