AnimeNEXT, Somerset, NJ, June 18-20, 2010

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

The "Getting a Piece of the Action" PowerPoint is now available at Sendspace for a short time:

1997-2003 version (.ppt)
2007 version (.pptx)

The titles of the panels were changed without consulting with me. They now are:
Collecting Japanese Animation Art- Saturday: 10:00-11:00am Panel 2
Care & Feeding of Japanese Art Sunday: 11:00am-12:00pm panel 3
The first is accurate but dust-dull, while the second seemed genuinely misleading, as it could refer to "serious" Japanese are (silk paintings, scrolls, Hokusai woodcuts, etc.) When I asked if "anime" could be added before "art" I was told that the program had already gone to the printer. However, my abstract will be printed in the guide to panels, and that will hopefully keep people straight as to the actual topic to be discussed.

I hope that starfighter and I will summon the enthusiasm and passion so that attendees will leave pleasantly surprised and ready to start filling their first Itoyas.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

anime-next

Post by Starfighter »

Morning ,

WEll wanted to update you guys on my anime-next experienece. The last day is Sunday and will also post on that.

Day 1: Got there around 8:30 am had to wait in line even though I prepaid for my ticket it took about 45 minutes to get into the door. I finally arrived inside the con to learn that the dealers room will not open until 12:30 that day so I left and came back at 12:00. The line was really long and the person behind me was bragging about finding someones blackberry and using it . I just waited in line like everyone else to get in . It was very hot waiting in line . When I finally got into the dealers room I went looking for te two things I wanted. A box set of fushigi yuugi and an image of some sort of naruto in sage mode . I did in fact find some fushigi yuugi but it was only three dvds not the whle set and no naruto images. I walked around checking all the dealers out . Was shocked to learn that he two box set on sailor moon uncut were selling at one particular dealer for $400.00 a piece or two for $750. I thought this really nuts. I the proceeded to leave . The costumes were very outlandish. I on the other hand wouldn't cosplay not my style.

Day 2:

arrived at 8:45 already had badge so was at the front of the line . They decided to let us in at 9:20 even though I explained to them that the panal I was co-hosting with sensei was starting at 10 they really didn't care . After I got in I went to sign in for the panal. I proceeded up the stairs to panel room 2 and say sensei sitting there . I went up to him and shook his hand . It was nice to see him. We talked a little about anime he brought some of his to show I brought a zip drive . We started out with 3 people in room and then more people decided to enter. Sensei was so awesome with his talks about anime and cgi it was amazing . When it was my turn I think I did well but they were not realy interested in sailor moon which most of my collection was centered on . They did in fact like the x cels that I showed. When it was all over I said good bye to sensei and said will see him again on sunday. Also stopped and talk to his daughter and her friends. Eveything was awesome being a part of a panal with sensei was reason enought to attend this convension . I'm going to be brutally honest with all of you guys this convension really does suck compared to the others I have been to ax in ny and oautocon in maryland but being able to host a panal with sensei made going worth it . I'm looking forward to seeing him again tommarrow. I might even attend the panal before his sailor moon universe just to check it out . WEll take care guys and have great night . If anyone ever gets the chance to meet sensei they are very lucky because he is just not a really nice guy but he is full of knowledge. If you rreading this sensei thank you and can't wait for tommarrow.Well nite all

Starfighter
oxypetalus
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by oxypetalus »

Aww, sorry to hear AnimeNext wasn't that awesome for you. I went several years ago and I though it wasn't that great either. I was thinking of going this year but I thought the price of convention+transport wouldn't have been worth it.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

anime-next

Post by Starfighter »

This convention really had nothing of true interest a cel collecter woud be intereted in. but the panal was great and looking forward to it tommarrow.

later

starfighter
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Small conventions can go either way. Sometimes, they get fabulous guests and, with fewer fans, you can walk away with nicer stuff. Other times, judging from your reaction to it, the con might not even be worth the money.

For years, I had avoided attending any of the more 'local' cons because they typically featured US guests. I'm not a fan of the dubs, so, it doesn't draw me in. But, this year, Fanime had several Japanese guests - so I broke down and went. Even if I hadn't been able to receive some fantastic artwork, the FLOW concert was more than worth the admission fee.

As for the $$$ for the Sailormoon DVDs, I'm shocked they feel they could charge that much. Most people have heard of E-bay by now.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

anime next

Post by Starfighter »

Day 3 : Arrived at the con at about 10 am so that I might check out the dealers room to see if maybe I missed the fushigi yuugi box set or any images of naruto in sage form. Was suprised to hear from one of the venders that getting the box set would cost me 200 and up for the complete set including the aov.I said have you heard of ebay and nothing was said. I went to the place were the 3rd panal was being held after a while found out that it was in a different location . did check out the panal that was in there before the panal I did with sensei was ready to start. it was the sailor moon unoverse. it looked to me that there were going to be new voice actors in sailor moon now . WEll finally got into the room and there was only one other person there to listen to the panal . I was glad someone did show up for it . I talked to the collecter and she informed me she has 10 cels I told her that was amazing . Then we started and sensei had a lot to say about removing tape from genga and donga it was very interesting. He has a lot of patients to even do that more then me . AS for the con in my opinion is was the worst con I have ever been to. The only part that ade it barable was being part of th epanal with sensei that initself is worth the price of the ticket . Sensei if you are reading this thanks fr being there I had a lot fun and learned a lot from you . I hop ethe next time we get togather to do a panal the con will be way better.

Take care

Starfighter(Frank)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Home and very tired: I probably will need to expand a bit tomorrow. But I thought both panels went fine. I probably should have scheduled them later in the afternoon, as I was told that morning panels tend to be under-attended anyhow. But both drew a modest crowd, especially the first one, and we met some cel collectors and raised consciousnesses about the pleasures of collecting animation art all around.

The con had its pros and cons. It was big enough to draw a few international guests, the main one being Kenji Kamayama, animation director for Jin-Roh and overall director for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, first and second series and Solid State Society OVA. He gave Q&A workshops on both Friday and Saturday, and did two autograph sessions. There was a pleasant J-pop band called Stereopony, which played several sets which could be heard all over the exhibit complex whether you were in the performance area or not, and they too did several autograph sessions. (They did one of the BLEACH ED themes, and also an OP for Mobile Suit Gundam 00.) Also the artist for the Japanese comic series Hangry & Angry was there. Plus, as Frank mentioned, a bunch of dub artists and US webcomic artists.

The attractions were not, as you'd expect, as diverse as Otakon or AnimeExpo, nor was the dealer's room as comprehensive. Not a cel to be bought for naughty love or ready cash. On the other hand, a smaller con meant fewer crowds to fight and fewer frustrations to deal with. Panel venues were concentrated in one place to and easy to hop between if you found one disappointing. Tech support for the panels was extraordinary, both this year and last, with tech people popping their heads in repeatedly, asking "is everything working OK?"

There were few problems of the sort I remember from cel-based panels at Otakon with things like the previous panel refusing to vacate on time and the next panel insisting on coming in at ten of. The con staff was very proactive in keeping things running, and everyone was decent and respectful. And there was ample room in the hallways outside to chat and continue discussion with interested attendees, which happened both days.

Plus extensive FREE parking all around the con site, with trees to leave your car beneath so that you wouldn't return to find all your floor mats melted and dripping from the undercarriage.

There were problems, as there always are: the person scheduling panels made some obvious slip-ups with room assignments, so some predictably popular panels were in tiny rooms that filled up to the hilt well before the start. (Notably "Hentai series worth watching," the final panel of Saturday night, which lots of people wanted to use as a final howl at the anime moon.) But overall, I enjoyed myself, made a bunch of new acquaintances, dipped into some series I would not have otherwise sampled on my own, and came back with a stack of reasonably priced manga and anime box sets.

I have some reactions to the panels, but I'll save them (with lots of thanks for Frank for sharing scans of his gems and his passion for SM) for tomorrow.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

There was a "hentai" panel. Wow...what a trip. I would go to that one just for the heck of it. I heard a few cons have had ren'ai gaming panels too. It's these types of panels that I wish I could go to....the fan type panels.

The main problem I had attending my last two conventions was that I didn't have enough to do between the two or three really interesting events they had there. Most of the best events were overcrowded and had extremely long lines and wait times. I've never been much into crowds in general.

I need something to do between events. Just one good event a day would be cool.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Keropi wrote:There was a "hentai" panel. Wow...what a trip. I would go to that one just for the heck of it.

Yes, it was held at midnight just to keep parents from bringing their kiddies by without knowing what "hentai" meant. I seriously thought about it, having developed a liking for Usagi-chan de Cue which is just clever enough to justify all the boob-bobbles, and being an admirer of Chobits, which pushes the curve at significant moments. But in the end I ran out of gas and didn't go, and I was told afterwards that it was a madhouse, with the room filling to fire-laws capacity about a half hour before it started.

The organizers know they need to manage the panels better next year, but many times it's not clear what will draw a crowd. There were one potentially interesting panel that I (and most of the other audience members) walked out of because it was clear that the panelists really hadn't prepared anything but were chatting in a giggly fan-girl style about how queuul [fill in name of queuul anna-may series here] was. Happily, all the panels were in one place so it was easy to duck out of one and back into another that was doing something constructive. Both our panels were beneficiaries of this factor, as we started with slim crowds, which gradually grew during the hour as people panel-hopped into our room and stayed.
Keropi wrote:]The main problem I had attending my last two conventions was that I didn't have enough to do between the two or three really interesting events they had there. Most of the best events were overcrowded and had extremely long lines and wait times. I've never been much into crowds in general.
I know: sometimes it's worth it, as with a really strong Otakon year, but that in itself can be a drain on energy. People are in over-stimulated mode, not knowing where to look, what to do, what to say, or how to avoid stepping on someone's tail while being whapped by someone's wings or huge plywood weapon.

The green space around the AnimeNext con center was a sanity saver, as it gave people a chance to spread out between events, and so there were only a few avoidable bottlenecks. There was even a shuttle bus to a nearby mall with restaurants, though I felt the con food was pretty decent. (The pulled pork sandwich is awesome!)

I'm sorry you had so many negative experiences, starfighter. I'd been for the full AnimeNext experience once before, so I knew what to expect and what to avoid. For instance, if you know that the panels are all in the hotel, you just bypass the officious con guard, walk around the side of the exhibit hall and go in through the adjacent hotel lobby straight to the room where you're presenting. Same deal with early-bird video screenings which are in a side building with no fussy security guard.

(Con people do peek in from time to time to make sure that people watching MKR episodes have badges, are cosplaying, or are at least sporting a Mokona cap.)

The line for the badges (as at Otakon) can be a trial, but that's one reason why the first morning's schedule was so light. The line for the dealer's room, too, could be irritating, but the up side of that is that the crowds inside were kept a little less intense than at Otakon. You didn't get knocked over quite so many times while looking at body pillows. (For some reason, the dealers had brought lots and lots and lots and lots of body pillows.)

Not having gone to many more local cons (just Katsucon in DC) I can't say for certain how AnimeNext ranks in general. I've always figured that the company you meet is as important as the events, and as my daughter has lots of contacts from the CT/MA/Long Island otaku community, I always end up getting to know different people and being dragged off to see things I'd normally not choose on my own. So maybe this dimension made up for some of the deficiencies.

I'll say again, though: the tech support they give is superb, the best I've seen including professional academic meetings where I've presented. They really do make sure that your laptop links to the projector and that your video clips will run. (Even the strange DiGiCharat clip with German subtitles!) They even spent time fooling with the table so the PowerPoint image would be square on the screen and not tilted or trapezoidal.

We didn't get a lot of cel collectors at the start of the periods (and I learned something about making sure that the panel titles on the pocket program match the blurbs for them in the glossy program, which they didn't this time). But like I say we got more watchers along the way, and the people who walked in stayed, flipped through cel books, asked questions, and went out knowing something about what makes Frank and I so intense.

In the lobby afterwards, I even demonstrated how to remove a stuck sketch from a cel as an encore for a new cel collector who had this problem with some of her new pretties. I knew the one I'd brought wasn't stuck badly, and luckily it came right off with no damage on either side: I was so delighted I gave it to the newbie as a souvenir.

Again, I'm sorry if starfighter felt a bit cheated. But I think we delivered the goods: I had fun, Frank obviously enjoyed talking with the audience, and so I think the overall result was good for the animation art community. Perhaps with a few more aficionados we could take over a part of the con process and get a few more things our way (like sending some ninjas to abduct Asylum Anime's Curt and a bunch of cel books in his stock to help upgrade the dealer's room.)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, panels have to have some kind of organization and some panels are disappointingly disorganized. I think we've all attended panels that didn't have a real plan for presentation.

Judging adult anime is a lot more subjective with non-adult anime. What one person will like another will hate. Someone might want to see something that another wants to avoid. Recommending is more difficult than with non-ero anime.

So did you guys walk around the outside shops when you didn't have anything at the convention that you wanted to do? What does one do when bored?
sensei

Post by sensei »

Keropi wrote:So did you guys walk around the outside shops when you didn't have anything at the convention that you wanted to do? What does one do when bored?
The con is in an industrial park, with no shopping center in walking distance, though the shuttle bus helps. And of course the parking situation makes it possible to just get one's car and drive wherever you want. Our group found a nice oriental restaurant that was easy to get to and had very respectable sushi and miso soup.

Generally, though, I did what I usually do: hole up with a newly purchased manga or one from the manga library that the con runs, or check out something in the video screenings that I hadn't seen. Or appreciate the cosplay which is everywhere you look.

For the record, CLAMP cosplayers seemed on the downtick, as were Ouran Host Clubbers. For once, I don't recall seeing a single Belldandy. Shinigami of various ilk and Kingdom Hearts characters seemed easiest to spot. Alice in Wonderland was also popular, thanks to the Johnny Depp movie. But I spotted an excellent Reki from Haibane Renmei with perfect charcoal wings (done on a metal coathanger base -- I asked). And my Liz hustled over another cosplayer to meet me at the end. "You're Batanan!" I said, and he replied, "Oh, thank God someone recognized my character!) Nicely done, with sideways long furry ears, leather jacket, wolf tail, and Jersey attitude.