AnimeNEXT, Somerset, NJ, June 18-20, 2010

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

AnimeNEXT, Somerset, NJ, June 18-20, 2010

Post by sensei »

I'm planning to attend AnimeNEXT again this June and am again considering organizing a panel or two around collecting animation art (cels, sketches, rilezu, settei, UFO dolls, or whatnot). Anyone interested?

Last year Starfighter and I did a bit on how to set up an online animation art gallery, and I did another solo on how to bid effectively on Yahoo Japan with practically no working knowledge of Japanese.

But I'm willing to try out new ideas for panels, ranging from learning the basics to something a little more outrageous to raise the general consciousness about the joys of collecting. As I know there are a fair number of collectors in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US, I'd love to see some of you there. And I'd be happy to bring along a few cel books that don't get out as often as they used to.

The venue, which is the Garden State Exhibit Center in Somerset, NJ, is relatively easy to access, as it's not far from I-78 and the NJ Turnpike and very close to an exit off I-287. Last year I found it to be big enough to be enjoyable (and with very good programs and choices in anime screening) but small enough so that one didn't go mad fighting crowds all the time. On-site food is Jerseyite in nature but inexpensive and digestible.

For more info, visit the AnimeNEXT website.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

interested

Post by Starfighter »

Hello sensei,

I would be interested in doing it again with you this year, when do you need an answer by. I will be starting my new job in may can definatly be there on the sunday, let me know what your planning and I will do my best to be there.

Hoping to do a panel with you again this year.

Take care

Starfighter
sensei

Post by sensei »

PM sent: any others interested? I'm open to all kinds of ideas for events.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Starfighter and I have brainstormed some ideas via PM. These seem to be the two most promising:

1. Owning a Piece of the Action: An exploration of why some pieces of animation art are more "special" than others and so are more desirable in the eyes of collectors. Starting with explanations of what a "key" image is, we'll go on to talk about more esoteric issues that affect price, such as "tome" cels, pan cels, banks, OPs, EDs, and important "scenes" (e.g., "The" Scene in CCS) that make a cel or sketch more avidly desired. Given Starfighter's and my interest in shoujo anime, we'll mainly talk about SM/CCS examples, but I'll be bringing in examples from other examples, such as Saiyuki.

2. Care and Feeding of Animation Art (or maybe How to Train Your Genga): This will begin by discussing some of the many reasons animation art, however challenging it is to obtain, requires a basic knowledge of archival preservation in order to keep it at least in the shape it was received. We'll talk about issues of intrinsic vice, such as line fading and color bleeding/shifting in cels, plus damage that can occur in sketch art, particularly through leaving adhesive tape in place too long. Without making ownership seem too much of a chore, we'll suggest some basic tasks animation art owners should plan to carry out, when the cels or sketches are first obtained, and then regularly every few months thereafter.

These aren't set in stone yet, so if there are other ideas that Mid-Atlantic collectors (and I know you are legion) would like to explore, please let me know.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Here's what I submitted today. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks, Frank, for helping out!

[quote]Getting a Piece of the Action: Collecting Japanese Animation Art

A growing number of anime fans internationally have found that it is possible to physically possess one of the images that make up a favorite series. Many studios, anxious to clear their desks for the next project, have released huge quantities of original production art. This makes some kinds of original anime products remarkably cheap and easy to own.

Most of these objects are one-of-a-kind; but as one becomes more involved, it becomes clear that some are "more unique" than others and especially desirable in the eyes of collectors. The panel will include a basic description of the process of animation and the different forms of sketches and cels that go into it. You will learn some of the esoteric studio terms that animation art collectors use: "key" cels, "tome" cels, "pan" cels, OPs, EDs, original "set-ups," "banks," and of course, location, location, location!

Caution: while beginning such a collection is inexpensive, most enthusiasts find it extremely addictive.

2. How to Train Your Douga: The Care and Feeding of Japanese Animation Art.

Japanese animation art is relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain, so it is easy to build a good collection. But now that you have original cels and sketches from a favorite series, what are the best ways to keep them looking their best for a lifetime? Love for these one-of-a-kind art objects needs to be balanced with the responsibility of keeping them at least in the condition they were in when first obtained.

Many sketches and cels are subject to “intrinsic vice,â€
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

sensei wrote:2. How to Train Your Douga: The Care and Feeding of Japanese Animation Art.
I like that title. I wish I could easily attend.

:topic

I really should attend Anime Expo at least one more time before I have to move away. Although I don't know when I'll have to move. It might be several years from now for all I know.
sensei

Post by sensei »

It's a go: starfighter and I will be doing the two panels at the following times:

Saturday, June 19: 10:00-11:00am
Getting a Piece of the Action: Collecting Japanese Animation Art

Sunday, June 20: 11:00am-12:00pm
How to Train Your Douga: The Care and Feeding of Japanese Animation Art

If there is interest, I'll investigate to see if we could hijack a nearby space for informal socializing and cel perusal immediately after one of these.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Will you be making either panel into a powerpoint presentation? If so, and if any of my artwork fits, let me know. I'd be happy to help you out.

Depending on what it is, I might actually get inspired to make a super scan of it at Kinko's.....much to the chagrin of their employees..... :evil:
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thank you, Amanda. I will definitely do ppts for my parts of the panels, though I'll keep them short to keep from using up the other panelist's time. And I'll certainly take your offer into consideration to make the coverage a little more universal, esp. with "A Piece of the Action." After all, my much loved "action piece" might well be someone else's "ho-hum."
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Keropi wrote:
sensei wrote:2. How to Train Your Douga: The Care and Feeding of Japanese Animation Art.
I like that title. I wish I could easily attend.

I really should attend Anime Expo at least one more time before I have to move away. Although I don't know when I'll have to move. It might be several years from now for all I know.
off topic again-_-"

yes Keropi, you total should attend AX this year cause I'll be there maybe we can meet up :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't think you can buy tickets anymore.

Reserving a hotel/motel would be hard at this point.

Perhaps next year. I haven't been to AX for eight years. It would be nice to go again. I just hope the long lines have settled down a little bit.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Actually, Keropi... you can still register for AX (the price is maxed out by now, though). You might not get a hotel room at the con rate, but last I checked, there are still rooms left at the area hotels. My hubby and I are about to abandon our original reservation at the Mariott nearby in favor of staying further from downtown (we drive from northern CA, so we'd rather find parking on the couple of days we'll attend the con than pay inflated hotel rates and parking fees :P).
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm staying right by the Pollo Campero and the IHOP! WOOT!

I'm sure there's still room at the hotel, if anyone's interested.

Although not affliated with the company, Bunny HIGHLY recommends eating dinner at Pollo Campero. It's the best fried chicken you'll ever have..and the Horchata & Peanut Horchata ain't too bad either!
Massacrist Manslayer
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Massacrist Manslayer »

Love fried chicken but give me some ultra dark "bunnies" chocolate.

Is anyone making a video recording of the two panels? an banging it up on youtube?
sensei

Post by sensei »

I have a preliminary version of the PowerPoint I'll be using for the "How to Train Your Douga" panel, which interested parties can access for a limited time at Sendspace:

PowerPoint 2007 version (.pptx)

PowerPoint 1997-2003 version (.ppt)

As I use a lot of animation, if you bring it up in "Normal" mode, it won't make sense in parts, as what you'll see is all the images and text pasted together. But if you view it in "Slide Show" mode, then as you click through you'll see how the pieces appear and disappear.

I'll put up "A Piece of the Action" when that is done, though that will be shorter in deference to starfighter, who will have a lot to say on this front.

Better yet, plan to come!

Saturday, June 19: 10:00-11:00am: Getting a Piece of the Action
Sunday, June 20: 11:00am-12:00pm: How to Train Your Douga

I'll bring along a small selection of sketches and cels to use as props during both talks, plus scans of most of my collection, and starfighter will bring scans of his pretties as well.