expo charity auction

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Tabbykitty
Senpai - Elder

expo charity auction

Post by Tabbykitty »

For those of us who can't be there to see the pretties, does anyone have a rundown on what was in the Anime Expo charity auction this year? I'm especially dying to know if Rei Hiroe did any Blaxk Lagoon shikishi
You fight quite well for being such a ... little man-Android 18
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/
:cat
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't know of anyone who went. Most of the serious collectors I know(including a few co-workers...) blew all their cash on the Manga Gamer booth.

However, I can tell you from the two autograph sessions I attended that, due to contractual obligations, Hiroe was not allowed to sign anything but the promotional Black Lagoon posters that he was giving out during his autograph session. He also did not sketch anything as well - I was seventh in line and I didn't receive a sketch. Neither did the guy(I think his name was Alan) who was second in line. I would imagine that that might have affected his ability to draw anything fo the charity auction as well.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Sounds like they had some really cool stuff at MangaGamer.

It's good to hear that they are still doing well. Or at least...it seems like they are doing well. Since all the other English bishoujo game translation companies have gone bankrupt (over 13+ years), I'm always wondering about their financial status. :?
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

The charity auction had 3 shikishi from Rei Hiroe. Two were from Black Lagoon (one male, one female; I haven't watched the series to know who is who) and the third was an original of Hansel and Gretel. All were plain B&W, but the Hansel and Gretel was sugary cute. I can't remember the prices, though H&G went the highest - I think $1k.

Toshihiro Kawamoto had a B&W Spike and Faye within a Cowboy Bebop artbook which went for @ $700. The big item of the day was a gorgeous watercolor shikishi of the full crew of Cowboy Bebop. It ended @ $4.6k.

I came in around mid-way through, but I think all the shikishi were auctioned last.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Keropi wrote:Sounds like they had some really cool stuff at MangaGamer.
It wasn't the games that drew us in, it was the artists that they brought in.

MG brought 8(?) different artists with them, all of which you could purchase shikishi(either black/white or colored) for $30 or $50/$60(depended on artist and day). Unfortunately, 2 of the artists, Fumio & Akio Watanabe, were harder to get. I barely managed to get a Watanabe shikishi(he did 20 total shikishi), but since Fumio only took orders for 15 shikishi, I was unable to get his.

Interestingly enough, some of the artists are now documenting the shikishi they created.

Thanks for letting us know about the shikishi they had at the charity auction. I wasn't a hardcore fan of any of the works that these men had worked on, and after hearing some of the prices, I'm glad I didn't go.
Tabbykitty
Senpai - Elder

Post by Tabbykitty »

Definately, thanks so much for filling us in on what they had at the charity auction! If I'd have been there, one of those Black Lagoon shikishi would have come home with me...maybe two lol :)

I'm still a little bummed that yoko kanno was there. It may have swayed me to go, but more then likely not. I just really don't like the move from anaheim to LA. Plus I've been reading in the forums about some of the glaring issues this year.

Right now, we're looking to hit comicon, maybe next year.
You fight quite well for being such a ... little man-Android 18
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/
:cat
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

Gah, I didn't know Yoko Kanno was there until after the fact. :bawl I would have gone to that concert I had known she was going to be there too.