AX 2011 Slugfest

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

AX 2011 Slugfest

Post by JWR »

Well it's that time of the year again.

Anime Expo in Los Angeles California will be July 1st - 4th this year.

I have arranged to have our Annual Cel Collectors gathering know as Slugfest to be held on Friday July 1st at the Bonaventure Brewing Company located on the 4th floor #418A of the Westin Bonaventure Hotel located at 404 S. Figuroa Blvd north of the Convention center.

It's the same place as last year and will be at 7:00pm. Like last year we will be able to order off the menu and I did get a promise that they will limit it to a max of 6 people to each check.

I must give them a final total no later than Monday June 27th.

Do remember that even if you choose not to attend AX you are still welcome at this event.

Hope to see you there.

JWR 2
Anime Jewel 2
Gonzai 1
KalmCelWorld 3
Redwolf 1
Midori 5
Silvrdrago 1
Cutiebunny 2
Keropi 1
Last edited by JWR on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Re: AX 2011 Slugfest

Post by JWR »

Bump
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Where did you guys sit the last time? Was it in a room off to the side or was it the regular section of the restaurant?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Last time we sat in the far back section. If you're facing the back of the restaurant, it's on the far left side in the back, past the bar.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Thanks for the information. :)

I think I recall someone saying last year that a few of you brought something to share? Did you bring folders or how did that work? Or was that the stuff that you bought at AX?

EDIT:

I keep forgetting to uncheck the signature box for my posts because it's located further down the page now.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Keropi wrote:Thanks for the information. :)

I think I recall someone saying last year that a few of you brought something to share? Did you bring folders or how did that work? Or was that the stuff that you bought at AX?

EDIT:

I keep forgetting to uncheck the signature box for my posts because it's located further down the page now.
It's pretty much up to each person as to if they want to bring stuff to share. I tend to bring a bit but then I only live 10 min by freeway from the AX site.
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

I am many years overdue, but if all goes well, I will finally be hitting up my first anime con and my first AX. If you guys don't mind an MIA member who hasn't posted in...almost two years (??), hasn't bought anything in over a year (!!), and hasn't updated his gallery since 2007 (?!?), I would certainly be interested in this Slugfest.
JWR

Post by JWR »

redwolf wrote:I am many years overdue, but if all goes well, I will finally be hitting up my first anime con and my first AX. If you guys don't mind an MIA member who hasn't posted in...almost two years (??), hasn't bought anything in over a year (!!), and hasn't updated his gallery since 2007 (?!?), I would certainly be interested in this Slugfest.
Of course you would be welcome :cheers
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Awesome. I will plan to be there that Friday night, then. 8)
JWR

Post by JWR »

Bump
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Awww wish I was going ;_;
:bawl

Joe, I expect you, Maria, and Nida to have extra fun in my place LOL!
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Make sure to share some good cels. I'd love to attend, but I'll be in Tokyo during the convention. At least I'll be able to make the rounds in Akihabara and see the Nakano mall for the big auction in person.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It was fun seeing you guys at Slugfest. I had a good time. I didn't get to talk to anyone at the other table, but it was a nice way to spend an evening.

I was thinking that if I ever go again what I should do is arrive late on the first day when the registration line is short. Then I can check into the hotel right away or beforehand. If I go later then I don't even have to stand in line. The panels I wanted to go to the most were late at night anyway. This way I wouldn't have to stand in the direct hot sun. The shadow didn't cover the pre-registration line until about 1:50PM. If I went later I wouldn't have to carry around my folders either. I could drop them off when I checked into the hotel.

Something to keep in mind for next time. It's too bad the panels I wanted to go to had such long lines. Guess I was spoiled by the old days when you could walk right into a panel. Unfortunately even the 10:30PM and 11PM panels had long lines and I would have had to stand in line to get in those. By the time I arrived ten minutes early, the staff person already said that the line was too long so everyone else should give up. Ah well...I suppose the people in line needed it more than me anyway since I've already been buying games from them for nine years already. Hope it was a good panel. I did attend the Gundam panel however. It was one of the few panels I had the ability to walk right into. That was the only panel I attended.

Did anyone else get caught in that Saturday evacuation from the building? I was sitting in the dealer's room by the wall when I noticed a staff member going out the divider door. Shortly thereafter a bunch of people started going out the door. I couldn't figure out why they were going out the door. I got up to leave and peered into the door just as I heard the staff member yelling for people to head back out and that they weren't supposed to go that way. There were exit signs over the doors, but it lead to a huge unused open space area in the convention center. Okay, no problem. I started heading toward the regular dealer room entrance/exit. When we got there there was a staff member holding his arms out saying that we couldn't go out the doors. A large mass of people gathered at the door, but we couldn't get out. He said he would get in trouble if we went through the doors. People were saying they told us not to go out that other way. Finally we got out the door, but then we couldn't go down the stairs because those were blocked off too.

We tried going upstairs to the third floor when a staff member told us we couldn't go that way and that we should go downstairs. This large mass of people gathered outside the dealer room doors. Some of us stayed on the stairs. Then a staff member said that we couldn't stay on the stairs and that we had to go down. I wasn't about to go down without being able to move after that. Finally the mass began to go downstairs so we all headed down the stairs and got herded out the side door on the ground level.

The moral of the story is:

When you are evacuating a building it is important that you not only prevent people from going in, but that you give them a way of getting out. Lol. :D
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

My apologies for not being at Slugfest this year. I have some relatives in the LA area and, at the last minute,they were able to get together for dinner. I hope everyone had a good time, though.

(And I can't wait to see what sketches y'all got from the MangaGamer booth...)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Maybe next year.

I never did figure out where Midori's booth was. But I was only passing through there anyway. It took a long time to go through all the aisles because the dealers aisles go in different directions compared to the artist's aisles.
cutiebunny wrote:(And I can't wait to see what sketches y'all got from the MangaGamer booth...)
I wouldn't mind seeing them as well. 8O