AX 2011 Slugfest

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: AX 2011 Slugfest

Post by cutiebunny »

Did you get any sketches from the artists at the MangaGamer booth, Keropi?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

No, I was tempted, but I decided against it. It would have been really nice, but I kept thinking about foxing and deterioration and decided not to get it. It really bothers me seeing some of my older collectibles deteriorating and I'd hate to see beautiful shikishi going downhill like that.

Do you have any idea who that guy was that was sitting on the opposite end of the booth from Kazue Yamamoto? He was sitting closer to the dealer's room doors behind a propped up shikishi of a ?pink haired girl. I was wondering who that guest might have been. He was working pretty hard on making good sketches. :bawl
DrScorpio

Post by DrScorpio »

That was probably Shinji Katakura. There were only 3 artists this year, Shinji Katakura, Kazue Yamamoto and Alpha.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

As long as you keep your items bagged in acid free material and away from sunlight, you shouldn't have a problem with conserving your shikishi boards. I double bag all my shikishi boards (bagged in their placeholder in the folder and then packaged in another bag).

Part of the reason older items deteriorate faster is because they haven't always been preserved well. They might have been in very humid environments, stored inbetween stacks of other papers and with people who smoke.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

DrScorpio wrote:That was probably Shinji Katakura. There were only 3 artists this year, Shinji Katakura, Kazue Yamamoto and Alpha.
Ah, okay. Thanks DrScorpio! I remember his character designs from Green Green and Edelweiss (not to mention Kanaria and Melody of Oblivion). I'm surprised how much MangaGamer's pull has been for getting guests to come over to AX.
cutiebunny wrote:As long as you keep your items bagged in acid free material and away from sunlight, you shouldn't have a problem with conserving your shikishi boards. I double bag all my shikishi boards (bagged in their placeholder in the folder and then packaged in another bag).

Part of the reason older items deteriorate faster is because they haven't always been preserved well. They might have been in very humid environments, stored inbetween stacks of other papers and with people who smoke.
True. It's just that I'll probably be moving to Hawaii one of these days and I'm a little deflated about what the humidity has done over there over time. And the collectibles that I mentioned that I was bothered about being deteriorated have all been on my watch. It's a pet peeve of mine. If I can't take care of it properly over a 20-30 year span, I would rather someone else get it who can. I'll just oogle at it from afar. It saves me money too although it also makes me a little sad. :|
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I missed it as well. Decided to spend the time with my brother instead.
Hope everyone had a great time. I stopped at Midori's booth for a
short period of time, but alas no artwork for me. At least not from
Midori. Now from AnimeJewell - that is a different story. I will try
and get things updated at some point. :o
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Very belated thanks for letting me in on the dinner. Had fun, and the meal was good, too. Probably should have stayed a bit longer, since the Anime Singled Out thing that my friend kept bugging me about was pretty dumb. At least one of the contestants kept asking such stupid questions that enough people left, allowing me to lie down on the chairs and doze a bit. Hope I can make it back next year.

I never found Midori's booth either, even after being told what area/direction it was. Granted, there was so much stuff everywhere (including the crowd to fight through, hoping I wouldn't flatten anyone with my five foot prop), I was a bit overwhelmed.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I never figured out who that cosplaying guy carrying the HUGE hammer was. I seen him in the convention lobby on Sunday around 3PM.

I thought he might have been either a video game character or from a fighting anime.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Keropi wrote:I never figured out who that cosplaying guy carrying the HUGE hammer was. I seen him in the convention lobby on Sunday around 3PM.
Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls Z anime makeover? She carries a ridiculously huge hammer with a big "P" on the face. While female, she's portrayed as a tomboy, so it would be logical to have a guy cosplay her.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't know. I think he was wearing yellow clothing and clothes that would have fit into Bleach or Mortal Kombat.

Speaking of huge hammers....Saki Amase of Shikabane Hime also had one. :D

If I knew I would have missed that "hentai" panel I would have stayed a little longer as well. I didn't know the line trailed downstairs, kept going from the escalator downstairs and went all the way down the hallway and started to curl back where it started from. While it was the line for TWO rooms, it still was the size of a Star Wars movie line.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Looks like Anime Expo won't include the Fourth of July at all next time. I might be able to attend all four days next time!

This doesn't happen very often. It's a coincidence of the calendar. :yay