Questions about Otakon

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Questions about Otakon

Post by JWR »

In trying to plan out where my wife & I may go this year to cons, i wanted to find out some info from those who have attended Otakon as to if it's worth traveling across the country to attend.

I have checked out the con website but have no idea as to cost , when registration opens, as well any hotels that could be recomended.

Any help would be appreciated. :cheers
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Questions about Otakon

Post by sensei »

JWR wrote:I have checked out the con website but have no idea as to cost , when registration opens, as well any hotels that could be recomended.
Good luck JWR. It is a huge event, and in the middle of a big city, so hotel costs are pretty steep, around $150 a night. Their website notes that the Otakon price is negotiated for a block of rooms, and it is often possible to better that if you begin early and use some kind of promotion that is good for a single room. The Holiday Inn is usually cheapest, but when I've gone I've had best luck with the Residence Inn Downtown. (You get a kitchen and fridge and lots of space.) Be aware that they will charge extra for parking.

According to the Otakon 2012 bulletin board, preregistration starts in February or March. Don't know how much it will be, but historically it's been ca. $60 for a full pass if you register online, $75 if you walk in and register at the event.

Good luck! It's too big and expensive for me these days, but it certainly is a trip and they usually can get some major-league guests each year.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I think the Days Inn is the most convenient place to stay, as it's the closest to the convention center (practically across the street) but it also usually sells out it's rooms the fastest. The Holiday Inn is probably the second most convenient. There are quite a lot of hotel options in the Baltimore Inner Harbor though if you don't mind walking a few blocks. I can't say how much any of them cost though as I usually rely on friends to book a room and am usually just paying a divided fraction of the room rate per night.

Sensei is right about the admission cost though, it's gotten ridiculously jacked up in the last few years. I think it was $75 at the door last year as well. It is probably a pretty expensive overall con to plan a trip for. One upside though is that there are a ton of food options for a range of budgets. I'm usually really frustrated by the limited restaurant options in cons held in hotels. There are dozens and dozens of restaurants and food court stands to choose from in the Inner harbor.

I can't compare it to a wide selection of cons, but I've always thought it was a really good one.

I'll definitely be there so if you decide to go and want help finding anything, etc, let me know (but if you need to get ahold of me you might want to do so through my gallery feedback or something, I've gotten terrible about logging in to check here).
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

As far as Hotels, I really recommend the Radisson Lord Baltimore. It's a very walkable distance from the con and pretty affordable. Days Inn and Holiday Inn are likely sold out by now.

Yeah, the con is expensive at 60-75 dollars, but it's gigantic and loaded with quality guests and events.
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

I will be there this year with my two kids, so if you come I look forward seeing you again. ^_^