Anime Expo 2012 Accomodations

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Anime Expo 2012 Accomodations

Post by Keropi »

I've been wondering about this for awhile.

Does anyone know why it is so difficult to get rooms at hotels near to Anime Expo this year compared to last?

I had thought that maybe it was because because Anime Expo reserved more rooms at the hotels compared to before, but even now they only have the Westin Bonaventure listed on their list of hotels you can reserve through them (so far). There were several hotels I could make a reservations for back in November 2010 for the AX 2011 convention, but this year the JW Marriott, Luxe Hotel, etc, are much more difficult to get rooms at.

Are there other big events occurring around June 29-July 2, 2012 that is causing the rooms to be booked?
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Anime Expo 2012 Accomodations

Post by zerospace »

ESPN X Games at the Staples Center same timeframe as AX. I wondered the same thing awhile ago did some digging and figured it out. Been watching the area hotels since back in January and there's been no change. I expect the entire area is going to be insane that weekend >_<.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Aw, I see. Well that explains that. Thanks for the explanation.

Apparently me trying to reserve a room at the JW Marriott back in September was too late already. Oh boy. :(

I'm going to have to do a lot of walking to get to the Westin Bonaventure (6.5- 7 blocks). The JW Mariott was so convenient to be able to just walk a block over, go in your room, turn on the air conditioner and plop down upon the bed to take a temporary break. Well, guess it'll be a new experience for me since I've never stayed at the Westin Bonaventure before.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Keropi wrote: I'm going to have to do a lot of walking to get to the Westin Bonaventure (6.5- 7 blocks).
You can take the AX bus from Westin Bonaveture to the convention. It's on their route. All the hotels in the AX block are on the bus route....which, for right now, means one hotel. They use to be free for all attendees to ride, but I think this year they tacked on a fee if you didn't purchase a four day pass.

Yeah, I've been watching the site like a hawk too, hoping that they'll update with some hotels that are closer. The hotel location will affect how I'll book my travel.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

From what I found, the X Games were announced early to mid last year, so its possible that the JW has been booked for quite awhile, and I'm honestly afraid that AX won't get any rooms there this year. I'm watching their site anyway, though. The JW was truly the best hotel location for the LACC, I agree, but its close proximity to the Staples Center as well probably means it went fast when the X Games were announced. X|
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Hotels have been released now!! :cheers
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Thanks for the heads up, Gonzai -- I'm thrilled to be back at the JW! Now to cancel the Westin... ;)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Too late for me, but thanks for the heads up.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

The JW is sold out already? Wow. :?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

They went pretty fast apparently. By the time I got home from work and went straight to my computer at 10:55 AM PDT (which was already turned on), only the Biltmore Hotel option was showing there.

So how many hotels were showing on their website when you guys were there earlier? Too bad they didn't update on my day off.

This feels like the old days with missing out on Anime Taro updates. :D

EDIT:

Nevermind, I was able to reserve at the JW thanks to Gonzai's assistance. :)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Well, that's good :). The page is definitely odd ... hell, the whole site this year is odd. I don't think I've ever seen more errors X|. I'm just really happy that the JW Marriott is available -- since they weren't taking any outside reservations, I guess they've reserved most the entire thing for the two events happening that weekend.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Just went to the AX site, and appears that the JW Mariott is off the list now.
Good thing everything worked out for everyone. ^_^

Should be a great time!! ^_^