how do you feel about Autograph Prices at cons?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

how do you feel about Autograph Prices at cons?

Post by moonrabitt »

I guess I took it for granted (with going to anime conventions) that autographs would be free. At AX and PMX people would gladly sign items and smile.
Tough I began to notice, that in more american cons (like COMIC cons) some people CHARGE for Autographs.
For example with http://comikazeexpo.com, and talks here and there that TARA Strong would charge $25 per autograph I began to say WTF?
Now It's understandable if they would charge money for art they draw, maybe even a picture....but an AUTOGRAPH? I found it kinda sad, and when I go I will avoid people that charge for autographs like the plague. Yes we love how you act, how your music sounds. but if you charge for a little squiggly line you draw, I think it's a bit messed up.
They might argue that they need the money for transportation, and this and that, but I respect the artists out there that do it for the fans, that will sign items and not charge....

Your takes on this?
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: how do you feel about Autograph Prices at cons?

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I've been paying $20-$50 per autograph from actors/actresses at conventions for years. Seeing voice actors now charging money doesn't shock me in the least.

This is how conventions get better/bigger names: the con chair will contact a celebrity's agent. Tell them the con has XX,XXX number of attendees and that even if only 10% of them pay for an autograph, the celebrity will still make $$$$ that weekend. Throw in a free hotel room, free meals, and free transportation...and many celebrities will come.

It becomes a good money-making venture for the celeb, and good publicity for the convention. A win-win situation.

Do I think the autographs should be $20+? Not necessarily. But enough people are willing to pay, so it doesn't really matter to them that some people won't. The higher the price, the fewer they'll have to sign (which must hurt their hand, after awhile).
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Honestly, I don't like it. If your an official guest of honor at a convention, your admission price should cover the fees for any autographs.

I've seen these fees with several of the actors who played the US version of 'Power Rangers' at a few cons. I think when they were at AX a couple of years ago, they were charging $25/each for an autograph. I guess if I had some PR merchandise, getting it signed by the actor would be cool and then there are those who grew up watching PR and want to meet the actor who played their fave Ranger. So, I guess from that perspective, had I been in this situation, the small fee probably wouldn't have mattered to me.

A few conventions usually refer to the guests that will charge fees for events as 'Industry' or 'Unofficial' guests, and the guests are then regulated by their management. My only request is that the convention will make it clear, beforehand, that there will be fees involved. It blows when you're a couple feet from the guest (after waiting a long time and maybe sacrificing another activity you wanted to do) and their management makes the announcement.

Artists and their prices for sketches, though, are a different story. I expect to pay for a commission, and the rules here vary. There are some artists that draw several characters in the same pose for everyone (like Shinji Katakura), even if you offer to pay more to draw something a bit more unique. Some artists are complete primadonnas; At AX this year, there was a mangaka who was in charge of writing the manga version of an eroge/anime that was charging for sketches, but you wouldn't get to pick who you wanted - it was "Whatever he felt like drawing for you". And then others, like Mamoru Yokota, take a lot of pride in their artwork and go all out on their commissions.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

To avoid such problem, any exhibition I arrange is free for visitors :)
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

I saw the power rangers too, that is ridiculous, if there are 5 of them and each charge $25, then to get all their autographs is $125!!!

I'm going to Comicaze on Sep 15...The creator of spawn is giving free autographs...so nice of him, but stan lee charges $55 and $20 for a fast pass for that line. I know he is popular, but that a bunch of money.

I'd understand if the people signing don't make that much money (maybe they are not that famous to get lots of work?) ..
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

moonrabitt wrote:I'd understand if the people signing don't make that much money (maybe they are not that famous to get lots of work?) ..
Don't open the pandora box ;)
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I've heard that Stan Lee always charges for his autograph. I've also heard that at SDCC, there are appraisers on hand who will evaluate how much the item you want signed is worth, and then the fee charged will be based on the increase in value of that item with Stan's signature on it. So, in some cases, you could even end up paying a couple hundred dollars just for the signature.

Appraisers at a convention seems like such a bad idea to me. It's too much like Antiques Roadshow for my tastes. Besides, an item is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. And if there's any doubt about that, type in 'Beanie Babies' or something as equally faddy into E-bay, and see how much those plushies that once went for hundreds of dollars now sell for.

I don't know how the finances of certain guests, like the former Power Rangers stars are...though, I'm guessing Johnny Yong-Bosch makes a decent living doing dub roles. I would hope that someone famous would, provided that they're not paying out of pocket to attend the event, be generous enough to sign items from fans for free. Yeah, I guess there's always the chance that someone in line is planning on selling your autograph, but considering how very few signed items I see ending up on auction sites, either most of the people who get their items signed treasure the item, or, years down the road, discard it believing it to be worthless.
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

I remember back when the celebrity guests would charge for a picture (like $10 or so) and sign it for you if you didn't bring something else for them to sign, but would usually sign other stuff (books, prints, whatever) for free. They also didn't used to have a problem with posing for a quick picture when you got their autograph at the table. Autograph prices have become a little insane imho. At Houston Comicpalooza a couple of years ago, Edward James Olmos was charging something like $70 for an autograph. Prices for photographs are even more insane. It's gotton to a point where I can't afford to get the autographs of all the guests I would like to, so I have to pick and choose one or two.

I was discussing it with some friends last year, and one thing we came up with is that, back in the day some of the guests were promoting a current movie or title, and were being paid by the company to be there. These days a lot of the guests are there for pure nostalgia and going to cons to sell autographs is one of the ways they help pay bills. Not that this hasn't always been the case - I got Kirk Alyn's autograph in the 80s and bought the picture from him for him to sign and he certainly wasn't promoting current work. I just think that promotional guests seem to be a lot less common and companies don't necessarily want to pay for it either.

I also spoke to a guest at a con last year, and asked her to sign a trading card for me. She mentioned that she wouldn't have charged me at all but the convention wouldn't let them sign without charging, and she gave me a big discount from what the official sign said anyway.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

This paid autograph mecanism is originally born in the USA, maybe to cut down resale.
But this is a chimera, this will only increase the resale price of the charged amount.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

cutiebunny wrote:I've heard that Stan Lee always charges for his autograph. I've also heard that at SDCC, there are appraisers on hand who will evaluate how much the item you want signed is worth, and then the fee charged will be based on the increase in value of that item with Stan's signature on it. So, in some cases, you could even end up paying a couple hundred dollars just for the signature.

Appraisers at a convention seems like such a bad idea to me. It's too much like Antiques Roadshow for my tastes. Besides, an item is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. And if there's any doubt about that, type in 'Beanie Babies' or something as equally faddy into E-bay, and see how much those plushies that once went for hundreds of dollars now sell for.
Appraisers? REALLY???? I think I lost all respect for Stan Lee now. I mean REALLY...WTF..Okay so he created Spider Man, and a few other comics, but he should not treat fans like that. He is rich enough and he STILL asks for money? That is just horrible!!!!! He is just money hungry. One thing is for people who are less known and actually need the money, but him? getting charged based on how much it could be worth? I think it's just despicable.
Anything related to him seems to cost an arm and leg. He has this contest where you create a villan/super hereo and you can win autographed memorabilia....except...there is an ENTERENCE FEE of $20... :(
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

I am not into autographs for anime cels (did it only once - from the author of the short story the movie came from). I have gotten a few from my favorite authors though. I have never paid for them, and I doubt I would bother with it if there was a fee.

There is another thing to consider. This is just my theory and may not be too accurate. It could also have to do with the problem of people getting a free autograph and then turning around and selling it for a profit. Many signers now ask you for your name and include it in the autograph so that this is harder to do. It is possible the cost is another way to discourage this bad behavior.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

That's exactly how I feel about it. A lot of people just turn around and sell the things they get signed. So on the one hand, I can see why charging for autographs seems fair. On the other hand, it seems completely money-grubbing to me, being honest. Again, in favor of charging, you could argue that charging for autographs makes it not worth it for people to buy them for resale so you're shortening the line for the REAL fans. However, the flipside to that coin is that the autograph of anyone who CAN charge for their autograph will probably still sell for a profit, even if someone had to pay to get it, making it pointless to charge.

Me, I wouldn't pay for an autograph (though I'd be disappointed), but I've never sold any of the few things I've had signed either. This includes two of my Anime Boston badges (voice actors, incl. Monica Rial and Greg Ayers), a book by Dr. Bob Brier (recognized Egyptologist), Duran Duran's Medazzaland CD (the whole band!), and my Ghostbuster's DVD (Dan Aykroyd), among other things. They're special to me, which is what I think any artist/writer/etc would love to believe people feel. But then you look on eBay and see all the people who got something signed to try to make a quick buck and I'm sure it MUST feel irritating. Did you get to meet YOUR FANS and sign things for YOUR FANS..... or not?

It occurs to me that I do own ONE autograph that was paid for..... my husband brought Sabu's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabu_(wrestler) autograph home for me. He's an often-high-flying wrestler that, even though I don't care about wrestling, I would come running into the room to see him when my husband told me he was on TV. I think I remember my husband said it was $20. So that seems to be on par with the same you're seeing. I still need to get it framed. ^_^

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:it seems completely money-grubbing to me, being honest. Again, in favor of charging, you could argue that charging for autographs makes it not worth it for people to buy them for resale so you're shortening the line for the REAL fans. However, the flipside to that coin is that the autograph of anyone who CAN charge for their autograph will probably still sell for a profit, even if someone had to pay to get it, making it pointless to charge.

.....Me, I wouldn't pay for an autograph...
Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
I dont think it has to do with the re-selling aspect. If everyone got them for free, everyone would re-sell for at least a bit of profit. I think in Stan lee's case, he just wants to be greedy. It's just a SIGNATURE...now...for the amount he charges $55 (+20 for speedy line) then I'd at LEAST expect at least a small sketch...but I doubt he would even do that.
In the past I've gladly paid people for their art (fan art benders) they even sign it....Voice actors at cons are just so humble and GLAD you go to see them, it just seems like AMERICAN CONS are more labeled as GEEKY and if you try to speak to famous people you are labeled as a NERD..ot crazy fan...

The con is in a few days...Waiting to see what the autograph charges are...hopefully not too much....I'll hover over the stan lee line and see how many people are in it (for it to have a SPEEDY line option, the line must be HUGE...if its $55 and at least 100 people get it...he makes 5,500k ...wonder how much he charges for a PHOTO LOL
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iceman57 wrote:This paid autograph mecanism is originally born in the USA, maybe to cut down resale.
But this is a chimera, this will only increase the resale price of the charged amount.
It's actually pretty standard in Japan for any event and was not something that was 'invented' in the US. Seiyuu and artists alike tend to personalize things, especially shikishi, presented to them. I've also seen that mangaka/artists will personalize shikishi to contest winners, and that's especially true if the item is a New Year's postcard. Both original posties that I have are personalized. All of these are designed to deter people from reselling them. But what usually happens is that, at auction, the name is either covered with a slip of paper or photoshop it out of the scan, or the owner took a marker and covered up their name. I really hate it when people do the latter.

When I first started going after autographed stuff, it used to bother me when the guest would want to personalize it. I had no intention of reselling the sketch or signature - I wanted to donate all my signed stuff to a museum, and didn't want people to walk around constantly seeing personalizations. But, now, I kinda like them. It adds more of a personal touch, and to an extent, does deter counterfeiting. Not many people want to buy a personalized item (and especially one where the name has been crossed out), and I usually give a lot more credibility to a personalized item when deciding whether I should buy it or not.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Don't really care. If you are going to a con, prepare to spend money. As for Tara Strong, I went to Emerald City con laast year, and she (along with Kevin Conroy, Maurice Lemarche, Rob Paulson, Billy West, and Jon DiMaggio) signed for free, and took pictures.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.