American Folklore Society Providence RI Oct. 16-19

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

American Folklore Society Providence RI Oct. 16-19

Post by sensei »

Not a "con" in the usual sense, the American Folklore Society's annual meetings also aren't your usual sniffy talking-heads academic event either. It's a lively bunch, and many of the topics and activities are interesting. They also don't post officious folks in the doorways to check badges: if you dare to go into a room and hear a panel of folklorists talk, well, it's two hours of your life voluntarily surrendered.

But if anyone in the Providence, Rhode Island area is interested, I'll be giving a brief talk on "Princess Tutu: Anime as Creative Fairy-Telling" on Saturday, Oct. 19, at about 3 PM in Panel 11-05. That will be in one of the conference rooms (I don't know which one: come early and ask) at the Providence Omni. The other papers on the panel will discuss Indian folktales, the Arabian Nights, and fairy-tale adaptations on the Web.

One never expected a ballet-dancing duck to tippy-toe through so much queer and postmodern studies, not to mention an interesting side-trip into religious studies. But I think it will go over well.
sensei

Re: American Folklore Society Providence RI Oct. 16-19

Post by sensei »

Survived my panel: the powerpoint behaved and the paper went as planned, and I got a decent round of applause. Plus kudos from a bunch of grad students and first-time attendees. Planning to go to supper with my daughter later and then start the trek home tomorrow.

High moment otherwise: a fellow AFS member referred to last year's presentation on bronylore as "the greatest 7 minutes in AFS history." Low moment: a former AFS pres. accosts me and comments, "I heard that your university gave you some kind of big honor and named you a 'hero of scholarship' or some such." (No such luck: my existence is news to them ...)

Anime-Beta moment: picking up an inexpensive but significant cel Friday night. That's going to make a cel in my collection very happy, now that its long-missing top layer will be reunited with it at last.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: American Folklore Society Providence RI Oct. 16-19

Post by Jadeduo »

Congrats on your paper Sensei!! Glad it went well... We of course look forward to seeing your new acquisition, it's always great to reunite sequence mates!! I have only done it once myself but it is very rewarding @_@

Have safe travels!

Jadeduo
:jump