AX cel collector gathering 2015

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

AX cel collector gathering 2015

Post by JWR »

Well it's that time of the year again.

Anime Expo in Los Angeles California will be July 2nd - July 5th this year.

So I have arranged to have our Annual Cel Collectors gathering know as Slugfest to be held on Friday July 3rd at the Bonaventure Brewing Company located on the 4th floor #418A of the Westin Bonaventure Hotel located at 404 S. Figuroa Blvd north of the Convention center.

It's the same place as last year and will be at 7:00pm. Like last year we will be able to order off the menu and I did get a promise that they will limit it to a max of 6 people to each check.

I must give them a final total no later than Monday June 29th.

Do remember that even if you choose not to attend AX you are still welcome at this event.

Hope to see you there.

JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Re: AX cel collector gathering 2015

Post by JWR »

So far no one has contacted me about coming. We have till the 29th to put in a number and confirm the reservation.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Post by JWR »

Bumping this thread

2 weeks to go, still no sign ups.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

Was really trying to swing by AX for a day, and would love to have done a collector gathering, but I don't think it is going to work out. It's been quite a few years since I've seen the west coast crew out at an AX gathering.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Bump

Last week for signups. so far it looks like no one is going this year.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I wish I could have gone, but there are three reasons why I am unable to go this year. My work manager changed and it's harder to take off from work with her around. She's not subordinate-friendly. Also the person who used to take over while I'm gone is not available now. My backup was very reliable. It's too bad that she changed job positions. We're required to do more things this year and it's harder to take off work. The third reason I can't attend is because the Fourth of July falls on a Saturday this year. One of the reasons I went back to attending Anime Expo was because the Fourth of July fell on favorable days for me (Mondays to Fridays).

If only Anime Expo didn't fall on the Fourth of July, but it just about always does. :(

Even if I no longer attended any of the AX panels because of overcrowding, I still liked walking around the convention and seeing everything. It was nice having a mini-vacation away from work too.

The Fourth of July falls on Monday next year so maybe I will be able to go next year....though the work issues might still remain. Hopefully my manager will be different next year. One can only hope. :P
JWR

Post by JWR »

So we had no takers this year so no collectors dinner this year.

With AX signing up for at least the next 5 years we will see if there is any interest next year. I am happy to set things up since I live in the area.

Maria & I will be at AX and helping out with our friends at the Media Blasters booth on and off. Drop by and say HI. :cheers
Silvrdrago
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Silvrdrago »

almost forgot to tell you i'll be there too

_Chris (silvrdrago)
Silvrdrago
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Silvrdrago »

drat just finished reading the post....oh well maybe next time
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Oh well. I hope the cool weather will continue for all of the convention attendees.

I wonder how crowded the convention will be this year?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

According to AX's Facebook page, they had over 100K attendees and sold out three of the four days.

Personally, I'm done with this con. Just. Too. Damn. Big.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Gee, do you remember the old days when you could walk into a lot of the AX panel rooms after they had already started and many of the rooms were still only partly filled? I felt bad for the guests, but it was great for being able to go wherever you wanted.

AX has become like that Star Trek episode alien world where it was so overpopulated that there was barely enough room to move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsbuJfMpr0
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

^ I reminisce back to the days when AX only had 45K in attendance and think to how crowded it was, even then. The 20K+ jump in attendance that they've had for the last two years is crazy...this, despite the Premier Badge now going for $350 and every concert and mini-concert/glorified panel now all with additional and optional costs.

Speaking of guests, AX failed to announce Yoko Takahashi's (Evangelion OP singer) autograph session. Had not a saavy and aler member of our group noticed her tickets among the pile of autograph tickets that morning, we would not have gotten an autograph. Only 55 people showed up for her autograph session. Had it been announced, I imagine the Saturday "I started lining up at 11pm the night before" autograph line for just the ticket would have been much longer than it was.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

CB! Come join us at Otakon! Last year they had a small decline in membership, and this year is looking like there will be a decline again. Although I am not sure what is going to happen when it moves to DC, but right now we know where the best Italian bakery, and Japanese sushi places are!

JD :vict
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Reminds me of the 1st time I attended NYCC a couple of years back(when NYAF was affiliated with it). Now it's like how you're describing the current AX. Too bad I can't attend otakon this year :l .