Thinking about AnimeFest in Dallas

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Omnigeek

Thinking about AnimeFest in Dallas

Post by Omnigeek »

So the evil cutiebunny informed me AnimeFest has added Akemi Takada to their guest list. Since KOR is one of my all-time favorites and I enjoyed UY as well, this certainly caught my interest.

Anyone who's been there, just what is AnimeFest like? I've been to fan-run Star Trek conventions, the first Megacon, and a couple Denver Comic-Cons -- anime and manga of course were present at Megacon and DCC but they weren't the sole focus. What kind of panel discussions does AF have? What do people do besides buy stuff (and I don't really need more stuff!)?

If I spent the time and money to go there, I'd want it to be for something more than one autograph ... 8O
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Thinking about AnimeFest in Dallas

Post by Jadeduo »

Ooooooh the evil Bunny strikes again!!

You should go just to hang out with the evil Bunny and her enabling. I would have possibly gone as well but I have Otakon the same weekend, and that is the only time of year I get to meet up with my northeast peeps!

Have fun!
Omnigeek

Post by Omnigeek »

Just what does the evil Bunny enable? The last thing I need is to start yet another addiction or collection ...
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Where would be the fun if I explained that in detail? Just know that it involves candy.
Omnigeek

Post by Omnigeek »

cutiebunny wrote:Where would be the fun if I explained that in detail? Just know that it involves candy.
Shush you, I was trying to get intel on your evil ways ...
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

They should post their schedule online once all the guests have been set. So once that posts you should be able to pick and choose what you want to do. The last few times I have gone they have done the autographs all in one place and all the Japanese guests at once. So say if Akemi Takada's panel is right before the autograph signing then then you will either need to have someone save your spot in the autograph line or something because it will be at max by the time the panel ends and they will cut the line off. But if you go to her panel she might sketch during it and do a trivia or something to win so be aware of that. Just check the schedule once its up and it will have the times and areas noted. Sat is usually the busiest day of course, all other days are lighter.
Omnigeek

Post by Omnigeek »

Do people really stay four days? I'm kind of thinking if I go that I'd probably leave Sunday afternoon so I could get back to work. As it stands, I'd rather drive down but can't afford the 12 hours each way ...
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Last year, all the sketches that were drawn during the panels by the guests were sold at the charity auction....with exception to one, because Tanemura didn't want to sell the iDOLISH 7 sketch before the project went live in Japan. I would not count on a sketch being raffled off during the panel. After last year's auction, AF is very aware of how much they can raise by selling instead.

Although Takada doesn't draw for those standing in line, if there is an auctioned sketch, I would bet on it being from Creamy Mami. That seems to be the work that she plugs the most.

But in regards to your question, people often stay the full duration during conventions. Last year, most of the artists had autograph sessions on Monday.
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

Ok I went the year before last so the charity auction must be something new. Good to know! Are you serious Takada doesn't do sketches for fans in line? Does she have any guidelines during her autograph sessions that you remember? Sounds like she might be a good to catch on a Sunday or Monday with less people and with a little luck.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

TBH, I cringed when they announced Takada.

I've met a lot of different Japanese guests throughout the years. I've witnessed several episodes of bad behavior. Takada has the dubious distinction of having her autograph near the end of my autograph section because of how she treated her fans. Only Jo Chen's 15 minute angry tirade in Cantonese surpasses Takada's diva behavior. If you're curious, you can read my Takada story here - http://cutiebunny.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=281968

The problem is that Takada knows her worth as an artist. She's the only artist I've heard of that monitors the resale of her artwork on sites like E-bay. Here's an article about it - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... d-sketches

All the recent autographs I've seen from Takada are all on books or pre-printed shikishi. She doesn't even draw the little cat face anymore. So, this, along with the fact that AnimeFest received a lot of complaints last year from attendees who complained about the long autograph lines and how they were shut off from getting Tanemura's autograph, means that what you may have this year is just an absolute crackdown on artists drawing anything this year.

As my little sketch group likes to say, "Lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed."
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

Wow doesn't sound like Takada will be doing any sketching except in her panel. Thanks for those links they both were very interesting reads and now I know what to expect. I have looked around there are mostly just prints with her autograph on them lately and I don't think I would be really interested in that.

There are complaints every year on the autograph lines and I think they all get shut down early for the Japanese guests esp on Sat. It is because they cram the Japanese guests all at once for autographs. I remember Tanemura being very popular and her panel was packed with people standing in the isles and sides of the wall. I was only able to go Sat that first year she was there and the autograph line got capped before me and I ignored them and stayed in line anyways and still got through much to the staff's annoyance. Hopefully they wont me cracking down on artist drawing for guests. But my theory is everyone will be waiting for Takada and will free up the other animators.
Omnigeek

Post by Omnigeek »

Hmmm ... wow. Yeah, that's an ego. Much as I love KOR, let's face it, she just did the character designs for the anime, the story and original designs came from Izumi Matsumoto. So all the more reason to look for reasons to go OTHER than Takada's autograph. Hmmm ... maybe Bunny dressed up like Misty May?

:P

Sorry, just got my Otaking edition of Otaku no Video in and couldn't resist ... May bring it along with me IF I go and IF there's a place to play a Blu-ray ..
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Yeah, I remember when I first met Izumi Matsumoto, I had a hard time bringing myself to meet him because of my insistence to not support any franchise Takada worked on. Matsumoto is the opposite of Takada, so I'm happy that I managed to make that distinction. I still have a difficult time supporting Takada though. When AnimeSols crowdfunded to release Creamy Mami, I couldn't be bothered to contribute for anything more than just the complete DVD set. When Matsumoto crowdfunded with DMP, I donated a lot more to that project.

Ultimately, just like any con, it'll boil down to the schedule. Last year, Tanemura had her own autograph session while the other artists were grouped together. My guess would be that they'll arrange it by anime, so Miwa/Morita, Natsume/Kubota, and Takada/Furukawa/Hirano/Kakinuma (she always signs with her husband, Furukawa).

I don't think too many people will line up for Takada, and those that do will be older fans. Takada hasn't done anything mainstream in the past 20+ years. Most of the current generation of fans have never heard of KOR, UY or Creamy Mami. I can see people lining up for Furukawa since he's the voice of Piccolo and Dragonball is a fan favorite. It would make sense to me that, in order to appease egos, grouping them by series would be the way to go.

Ew. No. Not dressing up like Misty May. It is the middle of August in Dallas and I'll be spending my day shuffling between lines. Comfortable shoes and pants it is. The most cosplay I do is a hat. While I go to cons for autographs, I also use the time to hang out with friends and try new restaurants. Sometimes the restaurants make the trip. When I go to Animazement, I know that even if the con is a bust, I can drown my sorrows with a two meat combo and biscuits at The Pit.
Omnigeek

Post by Omnigeek »

LOL, yes, August in Dallas ... ewww ... Cargo shorts and loose cotton shirts for me (if I go)

Don't make me wear spandex. You wouldm't want me in spandex.

So is Bunny the only one here going?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Bunny and Mechaboys is going to AF and probably a few others that collect sketches only...

I know me, nowherekid85, and Kuroitsubasa are going to Otakon which is the same weekend. ^_^ It will be the last one Baltimore, so I will be enjoying the nostalgia... and staying in the con hotel for the first time in all the years I've been conning at Otakon.

You should go, Bunny is fun to hang with! ^_^ And you will always walk away with some interesting stories.

TIP: Don't ask staff if you can have a sketch better to ask the artist and then beg forgiveness after.

^_^
"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest - Grand Poobah, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Grand Poobah, 2015
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Survey Wench, 2016, 2017

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/