Con's canceled or delayed Corona Virus

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Con's canceled or delayed Corona Virus

Post by JWR »

Hello All,

Lets use this thread to keep track of an Anime/comic conventions that are being effected by the Corona Virus

This Afternoon Wonder Con in Anaheim April 10-12 has been cancelled , no word if it will be rescheduled

Sakura Con in Seattle April 10-12 will be rescheduled

Emerald City Comic con March 12-14 will be rescheduled to summer

Please add any others as they are verified - JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Re: Con's canceled or delayed Corona Virus

Post by JWR »

was told Naka-con in Kansas was just canceled 1 hour before the dealers were set to start setting up today for this weekend.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Post by JWR »

Florida Super con in Miami moved from May to July

Kiga-con 2020 Newport News Postponed

Madicon 2020 Harrisonberg Va. Canceled

Fubuki-con 2020 Amhurst NY Canceled

Keiken con 2020 Glassboro NJ Postponed

Swampcon Gainsville Fl Canceled

Colorado Anime fest Denver Canceled

Anime Japan 2020 Tokyo JP Canceled

Fan Expo Dallas postponed
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

And now, SakuraCon has been cancelled. Fantastic news all around. Couldn't have happened to a better convention :P

Anime Boston has been cancelled.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Sakura-Con has not been cancelled. Last I looked, it was still scheduled. Some guests have cancelled, but the convention has not.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Gonzai wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:50 pm Sakura-Con has not been cancelled. Last I looked, it was still scheduled. Some guests have cancelled, but the convention has not.
The SakuraCon website has been updated.

My friend was bringing over one of the guests, so I figured that when he announced it in group chat, the con had also announced it. Sorry about that.
JWR

Post by JWR »

According the the latest update from the CDC they are recomending no groups larger that 50 for the next 8 weeks so it may well be somtime in May before we start hearing about rescheduling those affected as well as the large summer con's like AX & Comic-con
JWR

Post by JWR »

as to be expected Comic Con in San Diego is canceled for this year.

no reports yet from Anime Expo but I really can't see it going on either.
speculation is that they are waiting to be told by the Gov they will not be allowed to hold it so they can then file a claim with their insurance.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Anime Expo has cancelled.

Fanime has postponed until 2021.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Otakon just cancelled
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Anime Expo has cancelled. Crunchyroll Expo has cancelled. AnimeFest has cancelled. Anime Matsuri has cancelled.

That leaves AWA in Atlanta and AnimeNYC. I would not be surprised to see those both cancel as well.

At this point, I think it's safe to say that pretty much every convention, with exception of the really small local ones, are cancelled for this year.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

Though a lot of conventions are canceled, some do have virtual options for later this year.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-featu ... ne-in-2020

Not sure how that’s going to be. A lot of things went virtual this year including the fighting game tournaments.

http://evo.shoryuken.com/

(They went all out I think to make it so people can pick virtual avatars and have a virtual stage?! XD)

(I think if anyone enjoys the artist alley I believe some people will be making a group on twitter and artist will link their accounts to their online shops for the date of the original conventions were to take place. Not 100% sure on this, but I saw it when I was scrolling through my feed. So it’s a great option if anyone uses Twitter.)
JWR

Post by JWR »

Sakura Con 2021 in Seattle canceled again and has hopes to be able to resume in April of 2022
JWR

Post by JWR »

Anime Boston will not be held this year
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Fanime has canceled.

Anime Expo will be a virtual only format.

MomoCon has canceled.

E3 will be a virtual only format.

...Still waiting on whether or not Animazement in May will cancel...

I assume it's going to be a long time before conventions can come back to how they were pre-pandemic. Some of the new Covid variants aren't affected by the vaccine and I'm sure most conventions don't want to deal with any potential lawsuits that could occur from a super spreader type event like a convention.