how to tell if a convention will be selling cels?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
DataInTheStone

how to tell if a convention will be selling cels?

Post by DataInTheStone »

I want to go to animenyc con 2021 and its a little hard to tell if they'll be selling any cels
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: how to tell if a convention will be selling cels?

Post by JWR »

What you will need to see is the list of what companies will be in the dealer room to see if any know cel dealers such as Asylum Anime will be attending.

You might also check out the websites/facebook of known cel dealers the may have attended in the past to see if they show any announcements as to which if any conventions they are planing to be at.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: how to tell if a convention will be selling cels?

Post by cutiebunny »

Few conventions have cel dealers now simply because the production of most cels stopped 2 decades ago. Even at the larger cons I've been to in the past few years, there might be one (and only one) seller. Most of the cel dealers tend to focus on larger West Coast conventions as that's where the business is and often where some of them are located. I think Asylum Anime is the only one that hits the larger Midwest cons (and Animazement in North Carolina). I've never been to AnimeNYC but I'd suspect that the prices for just hotel and food would make too pricey for them to attend.

Many conventions don't update their dealer lists until a week or two before the event. So while large distributors like GoodSmile will be advertised and known about for ages, your average seller in the exhibit hall won't even be mentioned.

If you're attending a convention solely in the hopes of finding a cel dealer or two, you're better off saving your money and contacting US based sellers directly.