AWA anyone?

Venturing out into the sunlight? Planning on meeting up with other cel addicts? Post convention or gathering info here.
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

miz ducky wrote:*chants something inaudibly and resurrects the thread*

I guess AB members aren't really con-goers.
The price of the two hobbies may be the reason for this (although cons alone really aren't that costly, if you can share the cost of the hotel room - it's the travel costs that are getting to me).

Well, I was at AWA in 2004 and in 2005 (where i bought my first 2 cels). I plan to be there again this year.

Who's going to be there in 2006? What do you like about AWA? What do you dislike about AWA? What are some interesting memories that you'd like to share?
What dealers were there that sold cels? I know House of Anime used to sell them but I haven't been to their store since I moved in 1998. I miss the owners and their workers. Such nice people. :l
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Oh, here is an interesting memory from AWA. One year Steve Bennett, the comic book artist, took a pic of me and an exboyfriend because I was so tall and he was so short. X| I'm around 6' tall and my ex was about 5' tall. :l It was so hard to find tall men around that time in my life.

Another instance I remember is this super geeky guy who walked around while playing his gameboy speaking out loud to himself about how he had to catch certain pokemon and would scream "OMG! IT'S A (insert pokemon name here)!" every time he would come across a new pokemon or catch it. 8O

Oh, one last one. One year Mari Ijima came to AWA. I managed to take a fairly nice picture of her while she signed autographs. That year she was trying to promote her english album in the USA. If I can dig out the old photo albums I'll see if I can find it an post the scan.

I used to enter anime models in AWA's art contest but never won. Actually one of the HOA workers always won for best model entered & 1st place. :evil: Ha ha!

I miss the stench of fan boys (well, not really) and how excited everyone became at the dealers room or when freebies, such as posters, were handed out.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Sugarflower wrote:What dealers were there that sold cels? I know House of Anime used to sell them but I haven't been to their store since I moved in 1998. I miss the owners and their workers. Such nice people. :l
Asylum Anime was there.
While I was at Metrocon this month, we told the cel dealer there (who gave me the 5 Yat cels) that he should come up to AWA. I wonder if he bought his table yet....
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

AWA is coming AWA is coming!!

Are you coming too? I AM!
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't make it this year. :l
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

Not 100% sure yet but I might be going. ^_^
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I'll be there again this year. :) I go every year. I love that I don't have to travel or a get room. I live nearby. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Very Cool!!

Can you make any recommendations for things to do or see in Atlanta?

I'll be flying in on Tue before the con. I think we'll go to the aquarium and the Coke museum (or whatever it's called). Are there any restraunts that are unique that I should try to go to?
c o l l e c t i v e
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by c o l l e c t i v e »

I've been aching to try out this restaurant:

http://www.umezono.us/index.html

This may finally be the time to do so.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Ohhh is that near the Cobb Galleria? If so that's near the convention.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I'm glad we have that all cleared up.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

miz ducky wrote:Can you make any recommendations for things to do or see in Atlanta?
Oops! X| I didn't see this until now.

Well, you can always try out the restaurant that collective pointed out. Of course, we haven't tried it yet so if it's bad, gomen. :^^: From what I've heard, the Coca-Cola bottling company is kinda boring. But it all depends on what you like. It might be fun to say you went. :wink: I find the underground to be all hype. Basically, it's just a shopping strip in downtown. But if you want to go shopping, it's a good place to "waste" time.

I suggest going out to Stone Mountain for a day. I had a lot of fun when I went. And AWA weekend is Japan Fest weekend there. It should be really cool. Just don't forget to stay for the evening light show. :wink: And I'm always all for the aquarium and Fernbank.

Hope you have fun!

Just one week away from the con! :D
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

:bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl

Stupid job takes away my fun...

Take lots of pictures for me!
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Baylor wrote:Stupid job takes away my fun...
Are you sure? :P :friends:
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Where did [quoteBaylor]Stupid job take away his or her fun?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)