So what is everyone reading and why?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

vapalla wrote:Anyway, back on topic, I am currently looking for new manga to read. I was reading Wallflower, but dropped it because the art was lazy and I found the super deformity annoying.
I ADORE the super deformity in 'Wallflower!' :D It just makes the scene all the more hilarious. SD Sunako with a butcher knife chasing the guys makes it so much funnier than if she was normal-sized.

The switching from SD to Hayakawa's regular style emphasis the beauty of her work all the more, I think. The way she draws eyes is pretty, especially of the rare glimpses of Sunako as a 'lady.' So funny.

I hope they bring back 'Legal Drug' soon. :l I normally don't go for yaoi, but this series is rather addictive. I must know what happened to Rikuo's sister!
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Elfstalker wrote:
SD Sunako with a butcher knife chasing the guys makes it so much funnier than if she was normal-sized.
I don't know, I think there was just too much of it for me. I may re-read it in a few months, though, and see if I change my mind. I liked the first 2 books but by the third I was not as interested.

I was at the bookstore today so I picked up Eden anyway. It's hefty and a little bit more expensive than the regular manga. It was also shrink-wrapped, which suggests it has some disturbing content. We'll see!

Can't wait to get Phoenix! I'm ordering that one on line.
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
hobbywhelmed
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by hobbywhelmed »

Some site that was talking about CLAMP said that they'd dropped Legal Drug prior to the Tsubasa/xxHolic series, that they just weren't interested in pursuing it any more, and that was about 2003 or so. I enjoyed it too, and they were just making that parallel clearer between the two sets of big-bulky-brunette and regular-sized-blond. (the blonds' hair is even similar in style -)

Just started reading Hunter x Hunter, Happy Hustle High just concluded (great fun, with some amount of SD), the Ghost Hunter series is starting off slow, but has promise, am waiting like mad for the next installment of Hands Off! and of Immortal Rain (now, there's some really nice art, and a heart-tugging plotline!).

I love Wallflower too. The SD'ing brings out the "inner woman" so much more!

Kare Kano, Fruits Basket, Hana Yori Dango, all good, but up into the teens in number of books.

Demon Diary is a suprisingly fun and good read. 7 volumes, complete. The only thing is it's by a Korean manga-ka, so you'll have to retrain your eyes to follow the art American-style again. But it's got some good bishies, too -
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

hobbywhelmed wrote:Demon Diary is a suprisingly fun and good read. 7 volumes, complete.
I really enjoyed Demon Diary, too...one of the first ones I bought. It was great that it was only 7 volumes. I don't mind the longer series, but some seem to go on just b/c it's selling well not b/c the story needs to keep going.

Anyway, love your new avitar, hobbywhelmed !! Surprised you didn't mention Descendents of Darkness *Yami no Matseui* talk about bishies-guess that was in a separate thread
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

i havent really bought much manga in a long time. i usually just find it online to read.*whistles*

i need to read vol 7 of demon diary. have it just havent read it.
litl_x
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by litl_x »

If you liked Demon Diary, then the artists have come out with a new manga called Angel Diary, I think it is only supposed to have 7 volumes also
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Well hopefully CLAMP will resume Legal Drug, and hopefully they will also resume X.

The AX panel got this out of them about Legal Drug:

Question: Our viewers and readers have been asking about Legal Drug. What’s going on?

Ohkawa Ageha: No problem there. We will be resuming that piece in the near future.

And X?

Question: My chief editor and I have been wondering for a long time when X will be finished and how many more volumes are left?

Ohkawa Ageha: For X with various things going on in Japanese society and everything, it’s unclear how fast we will work on it. In terms of numbers of volumes though it will match the number of tarot cards. For the U.S. publication the exact number of volumes may slightly differ because of the number of pages involved but for the Japanese edition there will be twenty one volumes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=351

Also, has anyone read Kamui? It's put out by Broccoli.

I saw volume 3 at the bookstore and it was VERY PRETTY! It is really nicely printed too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=5031

...and about EDEN, it is very good if you like cynical views on humanity and lots of violence and gore. Do not read during lunch if you have a vivid imagination *gag*!
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

That one character sure does look like by beloved Kamui. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info! 8)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

My pleasure.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
hobbywhelmed

Anybody reading "Yellow"?

Post by hobbywhelmed »

It's Yaoi (but not actually until the third book). I initially thought it was a variant of Fake, but liked the art. The premise was a little like Legal Drug, too (no supernatural, but they are "snatchers", mostly finding drugs and things regular cops can't do), and they even have a "storekeeper" who gives them assignments. Like Fake, they pick up various subsidiary characters.

But boy, there were hints at the end of book 2, but book 3 took it to a whole other level, and, IMO, made it far superior to Fake!

Just wondering if anyone else has caught this series -
ryoendymion
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by ryoendymion »

wanted to bring thread back to life cause i'm curious what's new out there in terms of manga that people like as i've been really sporadic about keeping up with new releases and i'm probably missing some really good stuff X|

i'm currently following

hellsing
chibi vampire (karin in japan)
tsubasa
xxxholic
rg veda
phd: phantasy degree
ah! megamisama
dragon eye
shiki tsukai
ghost hunt
le chevalier d'eon
princess resurrection
shugo chara

.. oi.. i didn't realize i was following that many until i actually wrote it all out /hmm

but i can always do with more :D
Image Image
cgscelgallery
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by cgscelgallery »

Right now I am reading

Fruits Basket- I wish that it would all be finally released, it seems like I have been reading it forever

Rozen Maiden
Nana

There are a few others that I bought at the used bookstore but haven't gotten to yet.
It eluded us then, but ...tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further...and one fine morning- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

-F.Scott Fitzgerald
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Lets see , current list.

3X3 eyes via fanscan (Dark horse stopped publishing)

Ah My Goddess

Negima!

Rozen Maiden

Suzuka

Chibi Vampire (Karin)

Moon Phase

Yotsuba& (finally being continued after a 2 year delay)
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

The full list would be way too long, so I'll go with some of my favorites:

Claymore - Loving both this and the anime adaptation.
Excel Saga - Very different from the anime which I also like, so it took me a bit to get into it, but now that I have, I love it.
Full Metal Alchemist - Very interesting how different this is from the anime after it diverges.
Hayate the Combat Butler - Laugh out loud at times. Better than the anime adaptation.
Negima - And no, it's not just because of the dozens of schoolgirls in it :P
Sgt Frog - I picked up the first few volumes used and liked them tremendously. Losing a bit as it goes on, but still pretty good.
Tsukihime - Fleshes out the anime in a very good way.
Yotsuba - So cute. If you don't like it, something's wrong with you!
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Bleach by Kubo Tite - More about the cool villians as the story goes on, yay!

Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden - Watase sensei drew this manga for her fans of FY who are mostly in their 20s. There is a slightly more mature feel about it. Biggest plus point is that the female lead is not irritating! She can actually fight!

Gokuraku Seishun Hockey Club by Ai Morinaga - Hilarious story about a lazy glutton girl forced to join an all-male hockey club.

Air Gear by Oh Great! - One of the best drawings ever, the manga team doesn't take the easy way out. But storytelling wise, it can lapse sometimes.

Skip beat! by Yoshiki Nakamura - Funny, romantic and intense. Author gives a much more indepth illustration of characters and the romance pace is realistic.

Goong by Park So Hee (Korean comic) - A spunky Cinderella story. So many beautiful aristocrats dressed in traditional costumes with a modern twist. Love the fashion!

Zombie loan by Peach-pit - Shounen story for gals. I much prefer this to Rozen Maiden :P Watch the anime to get a feel.

Onmyouji by Okano Reiko - This is THE Abe no Seimei. Such a beautiful, smart and aloof character. Gives a great insight into Heian culture but sometimes I have difficulty understanding the cosmic philosophies etc.