So what is everyone reading and why?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Give me a brief synopsis.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Blackmegabyte
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Blackmegabyte »

The Vampire Hunter known as D is being paid to rescue a girl who may be in love with-- a vampire! He's facing compeition from the Markus Clan and squares off against tons of nasty beasties sometime in the post-apocalyptic future.
Keep on keepin' on Dilandau.

rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Anyone know if Yotsuba is continuing to be published? I have heard rumors that it was discontinued.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Mangas can be a bad thing :? I'm reading Trigun right now and the further the storyline goes the more I keep saying out loud: They messed up the anime! This is so much better! X|

But I'm also reading Battle Angel Alita: Last order, because I'm a Gally fanatic. I've read the entire series up to this point :D

Also Remote, it's a good whodunnit manga with good humor.

Umm.. Hellsing, I'm also reading Hellsing. Something about Nazi Vampires is just cool.
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

rallihir wrote:Anyone know if Yotsuba is continuing to be published? I have heard rumors that it was discontinued.
There is no official word that I've heard. ADV manga hasn't been doing well
and has canceled/suspended many titles. Yotsuba and a few others have
continued to leak out from them. For example, the next volume of Chrono
Crusade is supposed to be out in March, but it's anyone's guess what will
happen for any title that they distribute.

The fourth volume of Yotsuba was just released mid-late 2005 anyways, and
there's usually a lag before they allow it to be brought over, so even if ADV
was operating smoothly, they might not be able to bring it over yet until
either volume 5 is released in Japan (I think it's due in about April of this
year) or some fixed time (half a year to a year) has passed since its
Japanese release.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Caroline wrote:i am currently reading... phoenix vol 3: yamato/space by osamu tezuka! vol. 2 blew my mind.... everyone should read it. seriously... and im not just saying that. it will change the way you look at the world.

as for why? i love tezuka (thanks to unico) and when i heard phoenix was his "life work" i just didnt have a choice. i *had* to read it. LOL :D
Ack, now you've reminded me of something ELSE I need to get... I have the first 3 parts of Phoenix and I know more have been published.

I'm reading the final two volumes (7-8)of Buddha, also by Osamu Tezuka. It's quite obvious to me why he was and is so revered. This... is an utterly BRILLIANT piece of work.

It's hysterically funny in parts and on the next panel can turn to life-shattering seriousness. How he managed to develop, intertwine and make completely unique so *many* characters is an amazement to me. He takes the basic facts about the man Siddhartha's life and, rather than make him out to be above reproach, shows how what he does, both good and bad, changes him and others. He does this mostly by reflection, in the development of the other characters.

I know the translators did some tweaking to make it more relevant to the average know-nothing lapsed Protestant like me. (Last night, for example, I read a page where the crowd was protesting some war or other, and the signs they were carrying said "stop Iraq." :P) But I suspect that except for that, this is lovingly and carefully translated.

Fantastic and worth EVERY cent to get in the hardbound format it is.

I also heartily endorse what Caroline said. If you have not read Phoenix you have not been well educated :) It's... mind-blowing.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

kymaera wrote:
animeobsessed wrote: I started Legal Drug, but it seems to be discontinued. :(
From doing some searches, it's an unfinished work...only the three volumes
that have been translated so far have been released in Japan, so you've got
a LONG wait.
So you're saying that eventually it could come out if the author ever finishes?
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Aren't all unfinished work [quote]

From doing some searches it ?
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
hobbywhelmed
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by hobbywhelmed »

Has anyone read Yu Watase's Imadoki? A lot lighter in tone than Ceres, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. And the heroine's resilience and upbeat way of looking at things was oddly comforting during some difficult times that were going on while I was reading it.

It's fairly short, so it's a good one-sitting read (well, if you're willing to give a couple of hours to the sitting).
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How about that.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Michener: A Writer's Journey by Stephen May... because the author researched it here, because he signed it to me with "good luck in the Michener Archives" and... finally... because it's here. :P

(it's really a good read, btw.)

Oh and I'm also still plowing through Choshu in the Meiji Reformation... not an easy read but interesting nonetheless. Why? Because I'm a glutton for punishment.

and... Ruroni Kenshin Profiles, the English translation by Viz... because I have a copy of the Japanese version and was dying to find out what it actually said about all the historical figures. And! Every other word! Is followed by an exclamation mark! It really gets you going! :P
Last edited by Baakay on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

hobbywhelmed wrote:Has anyone read Yu Watase's Imadoki?
I'm reading it now. I just bought volume 4. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I got suckered into reading Death Note... and am very happy for being a sucker.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote:I got suckered into reading Death Note...
/gg
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Uende wrote:
In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote:I got suckered into reading Death Note...
/gg
Sure Moriarty, like it's such a daunting task to sucker me.

:wink:
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?