So what is everyone reading and why?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Some info about Legal Drug. The magazine it was being published in ceased publication. Right now, no more of the story is being written. The story is by Clamp, but the art is by one of their assistants, Mick Nekoi.

I also just heard that Clamp plans to finally finish the X series. The next installment may be out this summer.

(on a side note, xxxHOLIC TV comes out April 6!)
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Who was in it?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

By popular demand, I picked up volume 1 of Gravitation. So far, the anime is far superior. Maybe by the time I reach the end of volume 1, I'll want volume 2. It's not looking so great though. :roll:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

duotrouble wrote:By popular demand, I picked up volume 1 of Gravitation. So far, the anime is far superior. Maybe by the time I reach the end of volume 1, I'll want volume 2. It's not looking so great though.
I have to admit, even for a huge Gravitation fan such as myself, the manga was a little bit much for me. I have all 12 volumes and it is more insane than the series and the storyline of the manga goes off in a totally different direction than the series. There is more to it, but it just get stupid for lack of a better word. I'm not trying to tell you not to read it, but just let you know if you thought the series had some strange parts to it, manga as more of them that are even stranger.

Actually about volume 7 is where it really gets crazy.

Hope this helps some.
vapalla wrote:Some info about Legal Drug. The magazine it was being published in ceased publication. Right now, no more of the story is being written. The story is by Clamp, but the art is by one of their assistants, Mick Nekoi.

I also just heard that Clamp plans to finally finish the X series. The next installment may be out this summer.
Thanks for the info.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
DevoVamp
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by DevoVamp »

I admit that I'm only just starting to get into manga, so there's not a lot that I'm buying right now, but here's the list:

Hellsing
Loveless
Lament of the Lamb
Godchild

I really love Godchild and Loveless!! Godchild is just so extreme, and it's so much like a Victorian gothic novel that I just love it!
"Ah, the children of the night, such beautiful music they make!" -- Dracula

"God knows, freedom isn't simple." - Anne Rice
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by purple-plum »

I'm currently reading

Deathnote,
The Devil Does Exist,
Hot Gimmick,
Kare First Love,
Tenjou Tenge
Hana-Kimi
Neck and Neck
Love or Money
and a whole lot more

Ultra Maniac is finally over at 5 volumes (sarcastic)

I especially recommend "The Devil Does Exist" by Takanashi Mitsuba
also a whole thread was dedicated to "Deathnote"

Manga like "Hot Gimmick, Kare First Love, Hana-kimi, and Tenjou Tenge are all online somewhere if you don't feel like paying for it, but if you do feel like paying for it, you can buy it from my sister's store... heh

~Katie
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How long? That's a very nice name, reading

Deathnote
The Devil Does Exist
Hot Gimmick
Kare First Love
Tenjou Tenge
Hana-Kimi
Neck and Neck
Love or Money
and a whole lot more

Ultra Maniac is finally over at 5 volumes sarcastic

I especially recommend The Devil Does Exist by Takanashi Mitsuba
also a whole thread was dedicated to Deathnote Manga like Hot Gimmick Kare First Love Hana-kimi and Tenjou Tenge are all online somewhere if you do not feel like paying for it but if you do feel like paying for it you can buy it .
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

As of now I'm working on...

Battle Angel Alita:Last Order (genius - pure & simple)
DeathNote (re-reading from the beginning :^^:)
Golgo 13 (finally translating some of the older classics)
Lady Snowblood (sweet revenge served up ice-cold)

and last...Dragon Head. Is anyone else reading this? Good stuff - think Lord of the Flies meets Lost with a dash of Battle Royal.
Just amazing. 8O
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Deathnote! An excellent story. I love the truly different characters.

I'm about to start the most recently released volume of Phoenix (Tezuka). I forget which volume it is :)

I tried v.1 of Najica Blitz Tactics (which was a gift from Kymaera to the Spouzal Unit :P ) but... X| didn't get very far in. Sorry, bud :)
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

vapalla wrote:Some info about Legal Drug. The magazine it was being published in ceased publication. Right now, no more of the story is being written. The story is by Clamp, but the art is by one of their assistants, Mick Nekoi.
What?! No more Legal Drug??? So if they stopped publication, where would the USA manga get cut off? I have the first 3 volumes so far. :l

I'm into 'Dolls' by Yumiko Kawahara, 'Alichino' by Tomoko Hayakawa, 'Saiyuki Reload,' 'Blade of the Immortal,' and 'Battle Angel: Last Order.'

I started 'Peacemaker,' but I don't think I'll continue it, it still hasn't interested me enough after 3 volumes. I love the Shinsengumi, but this title is kinda iffy for me.

I like the more realistic, gory samurai stuff, so 'Samurai Executioner' is one that I thoroughly enjoy.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Actually, from what I understand, Mick Nekoi is a member of Clamp, not just an assistant (she's the one with short hair, earrings, and little puppy ears when they draw themselves in the back of their manga). She does normally just do assistant-type stuff, though, like inking and emphasis lines. Actually, it varies from series to series, and she's been doing a lot more lead artist work lately. She was also the lead artist for Wish and a few others. Mokona is the one who usually does the lead artist work (she's depicted with bunny ears and mid-length hair).
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Not quite manga since drawn an written by a non-japanese but probably more manga than half the japanese manga out there.

I've been rereading and enjoying Adam Warren's work on Dirty Pair and Gen 13.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Really you don't think so?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Klet wrote:
Actually, from what I understand, Mick Nekoi is a member of Clamp, not just an assistant
Sorry, you are right. I took my info partially from a wikkipedia entry. I think the confusion came from the fact that the CLAMP members changed their names. Here's yet another wikkipedia entry that has not only the names of the current members, but the reason they changed their names, and a list of former members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLAMP

Hopefully this info is correct. I know I read about the Legal Drug info in a variety of online anime sites, and I believe that Legal Drug is on hold at least for now.

:topic In case anyone is interested, I also found this interview with CLAMP's Ageha Ohkawa and Mitsuhisa Ishikawa from Production I.G. about the adaptataion of xxxHOLiC into anime. Check out the cosplayer pic for a great Yuko costume!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=245

Anyway, back on topic, I am currently looking for new manga to read. I was reading Wallflower, but dropped it because the art was lazy and I found the super deformity annoying. I love Deathnote as most people do. I've been waiting forever for xxxHOLiC to come out, and I'm just finishing Tsubasa which is ok. I also enjoyed Alichino, but I have no idea when the final volume is going to be published in the US. I plan to buy Phoenix. I also was thinking of getting Eden - It's an Endless World. Has anyone read this?
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote:Not quite manga since drawn an written by a non-japanese but probably more manga than half the japanese manga out there.

I've been rereading and enjoying Adam Warren's work on Dirty Pair and Gen 13.
Yeah. How can you not like Magical Drama Queen Roxy (no relation to
nonmagical drama queen Uende)?

I've read quite a few volumes of various stuff the past couple of weeks
as I got a shipment of manga in plus picked up some more in the Borders
sale.
- Battle Club #1: Truly horribly bad....but so bad that it's funny.
- Battle Royale #15: Conclusion to the series.
- Bleach #11-12
- Chrono Crusade #7: Interesting to see the differences between this and
the anime..and I like them both so far.
- Claymore #1
- Excel Saga #14
- Full Metal Panic #9
- Full Moon #5: Again, very interesting to see the differences between
the manga and the anime.
- Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden #3
- Gacha Gacha #3
- Genshiken #4: Finally getting beyond the anime and into new stuff for
me...not that the first few volumes weren't great.
- Hunter X Hunter #7
- Negima #9: I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this one.
- Tenchi #9
- Tsubasa #8: This may be my last volume. I'm just not enjoying this
too much now.
- Ultra Maniac #6: Very different from the anime and I think better.